Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the First Hotrod You Ever Wrecked on the Street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the First Hotrod You Ever Wrecked on the Street?

I was 17 years old. Had the built up hotrod VW Bug. It WAS hot, back then at least, in the 70's. I was hot shit.

I'd like to know how fast that Bug was, probably for sure not too fast. But it was fast. Then, at least.

Back then the big thing was underage drinking at the bars. It was a wide open scene. AND hotrods. Nice. Yeah, that's a great combination, with no cops.

Was headed home from the bar one night and decided to punch the Bug after I turned onto the road home. I stopped in the road to make a ceremony out of it.

6000 rpm, dump the clutch, catch second.......oh yeah.....completely forgot there's a hairpin curve to the left about 100 yards away.....went through the ditch, took a chuck out of a culvert and slid up next to a house, right by the front porch.

Took a lick to the head, knocked a dent in the right door panel with my head (no seatbelt of course). When I woke up there was a dog barking and I was parked in somebody's yard. .....Drove away from there.

The front wheels were pointing different directions but I made it home.

Don't drink and drive, and whatever you do, don't be 17 years old. Not ever.

But I was young and dum
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

that did not sound like fun.

I wrecked a 1984 monte carlo SS in 1990 something. Still had those absolutely silly 195 65 14 somethings, temperature was 45 in bangor maine, 32F apparently towards lagrange...where I was driving through. A little bit of rain everywhere.
    I went to simply pass a car going slow, must have been for the ice I did not feel.

slid sideways a long ways.. across a lawn, headed for a bay window with a tv flickering in it. I wonder if anyone was sleeping on the couch...

with chunks of lawn climbing up the window, things were slowing down but not stopping. I smacked a tree between me and the house exactly sideways,
    at 35mph..the monte was stuck on the tree. I awoke to see the driver side seat was less than a foot wide, and about a 2 inch sharpened branch looking at me between the eyes. lucky day.
    If I was wearing a seatbelt, my guts would have popped like a sardine, and my head would have had a spear through it.

slow motion actually saved me there, any faster..holy shit.

what a pathetic excuse for automobile:
    the coupe.

pulled it off the tree, you might guess, exactly sideways, drove it sitting in it like a mailman from the passenger side. Could not fit in the driver side. the steering wheel was rubbing the caved in door.

I was very lucky.

I got so mad about the coupe, I never owned another one. I needed rally animal anyways. leaning roads, ice snow tornados blizzards and hurricanes in 30 miles.

we went to pull the frame back out, it was easier to cave in the rail than pull it back out. my final straw. No coupes for me.

b-pillar or death.

I don't mean all coupes, I mean the old ones, right into the g body years.
    I drove a chevette, the amc eagle, mustangs, 80s..
    those have a proportion, it feels good once a real load is layed on.

the big coupes.. insane in maine.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 31, 2013, 08:25 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

One of the things I've always thought about, about growing up since then.....and about how grown up I was NOT at the time, but trying to get there...

I took out a guy's mailbox when I did that, post and all. The next morning at 17 years of age I went back to that house and knocked on the door and apologized for destroying the mailbox.

And I gave the owner $20 to cover for the mailbox. He said, "That's more than the last 3 people have done."

Nice sense of humor. That was a bad curve in that road.

But I didn't finish the job. I should have bought him a mailbox and dug the hole and put it back for him. That would have fixed the damage. I just handed him some money and went away.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
        One of the things I've always thought about, about growing up since then.....and about how grown up I was NOT at the time, but trying to get there...

I took out a guy's mailbox when I did that, post and all. The next morning at 17 years of age I went back to that house and knocked on the door and apologized for destroying the mailbox.

And I gave the owner $20 to cover for the mailbox. He said, "That's more than the last 3 people have done."

Nice sense of humor. That was a bad curve in that road.

But I didn't finish the job. I should have bought him a mailbox and dug the hole and put it back for him. That would have fixed the damage. I just handed him some money and went away.
        I stopped as well, checked out the lawn. it was like I was not even there, the bows of the tree drooped back down. Bizarre.

I learned the same scenario of my own, but a few more feet to the right is where a lot of similar wrecks happened. I guess there was a death too...to the right of the house, deep ravine.

Luck was with me. Funny enough, I was trying to correct it to go back towards road..if the car moved ahead just a few feet and stayed sideways.. the deep ravine of death.

that was a wreck with no police, nothing. the only problem was my own.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I never wrecked any of my hot rods. Had two very minor bumper thumpers when I was a teen. Been a passenger in many. Twice been air borne as apassenger. Lucky I am not dead. Once with my sister in our '73 Caddy and once with my friend in his 80-something Mercury Zephyr/ Fairmont thing. The last one had a softer landing into a corn field. Kevin jacked up back and bashed his knees from the steering column collapsing. But I was fine. Farmer was pissed because the tow truck destroyed nearly three acres of corn to get the car out. We flew 80ft over the top of the corn and only knocked down about an area twice the size of the car when we buried the nose in the dirt. My sister drove our Caddy away after landing. Dad discovered the damages months later.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nothing exciting. I was stopped in traffic on a local hiway. This guy driving a IH mason dumptruck rear ended a VW bus that went into the rear of my 65 Chevelle. The guy in the mason dump told the cops that the VW bus rear ended my 65, bounced back into his truck. My bumper was slightly tweaked. Not so for the VW bus his was wrecked bad enough.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have never wrecked one. I have been with other people who have totaled cars, and I am missing teeth, bone, and other things because of it. Never have wrecked one of mine though.

Comment

Nope me neither. Never wrecked my hot rod. I was supposed to share a car with my sister when i was 15, but she launched it over a set of railroad tracks and that 65 galaxie got about 30' of air and nosed into the pavement, breaking the frame right behind the doors.....needless to say, I never got to drive that car. I've had 2 very minor fender benders long ago.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

A 1970 Nova in the winter of '83.
                  I was horsing around on a icy street and hit a sign - DOOOOH!
                  I put in another radiator and drive it until spring mashed in like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nova.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	870347
                  Disregard the plate, my H.S. was the rebels, we ALL had to show our colors.
                  A.K.A. Brian
                  Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

In high school I bought them wrecked and found body parts to fix them. I was driving multi colored rides most of my teen years. The Cougar was the only one that was a solid color.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                      Nope me neither. Never wrecked my hot rod. I was supposed to share a car with my sister when i was 15, but she launched it over a set of railroad tracks and that 65 galaxie got about 30' of air and nosed into the pavement, breaking the frame right behind the doors.....needless to say, I never got to drive that car. I've had 2 very minor fender benders long ago.
                      I think your sister and my sister are related. Jennifer launched that Caddy over railroad tracks too.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Gremlin X 304 stick shift. L60's floated on some snow/ice . Went side ways into a mailbox with the drivers side door and rocker panel.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                        X