No announcement yet.

Big Let Down Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there is a misunderstanding that DF and mag staff have anything to do with the web content. They dont. DF didnt make the decision of who they hired for that job.

As for magazine's forum downfall, I believe it to be a serious miscalculation on the part of the IT department to how many of their readers had high speed internet at the time. As I read the complaints, many were still using dial up back in 2007. High spped internet wasnt available or too expensive at the time in the small towns and rural areas.

It is almost as bad as a gearhead thinking everyone had a car project and a bunch of tools in their garage just like they did. They must have gotten these IT guys from Microsoft, because they were making the same mistakes.

Thanks for the support. A couple people were suggesting doing freelance work. It doesnt pay anywhere near what it used to do. A lot of work for no garantee of publication and if they do, its $150/page. I talked with Doug Glad a couple years ago about it, but he wanted car features only. I found it difficult to get strangers interested in letting me shoot their cars with only the promise that I will mail it in to the mags.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I always love reading your write ups, you do some great photos too. You're pretty big on the internet too, I'm sure somebody will pick you up for something magazine wise eventually.
      If I recall, didn't you say people even called you Rebeldryver in real life for a while?
      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        I think there is a misunderstanding that DF and mag staff have anything to do with the web content. They dont. DF didnt make the decision of who they hired for that job.

As for magazine's forum downfall, I believe it to be a serious miscalculation on the part of the IT department to how many of their readers had high speed internet at the time. As I read the complaints, many were still using dial up back in 2007. High spped internet wasnt available or too expensive at the time in the small towns and rural areas.

It is almost as bad as a gearhead thinking everyone had a car project and a bunch of tools in their garage just like they did. They must have gotten these IT guys from Microsoft, because they were making the same mistakes.

Thanks for the support. A couple people were suggesting doing freelance work. It doesnt pay anywhere near what it used to do. A lot of work for no garantee of publication and if they do, its $150/page. I talked with Doug Glad a couple years ago about it, but he wanted car features only. I found it difficult to get strangers interested in letting me shoot their cars with only the promise that I will mail it in to the mags.
        underestimating the net maybe the tension.
        they could have 10000 applicants, if they ever admit it.

I had cable in 1999, rural maine.

I still have a notion that big city taking advantage of location to go to a editing headquarters in the sun is going to be disrupted.

I joked of taking on writing, simply via an outstanding old school record. Don't need to, and that takes stress away.

relax.

the real glory of the majority is just going to get serious as networking gets big. I know of no one who does the California suns version of hotrodding with a 1000 dollars... in fact it is disturbing. Not real.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 1, 2013, 09:58 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

depends on when they got them, they fired all the really good guys years ago. I took a ton of escalations from the IT guys there, they were largely (the ones I talked to) pretty damn sharp. Now management... uh, yeah. The promise of gigabit network to every desktop was only 10 years late.

I have huge high speed access and every one of the SI internet pages SUCK IT. You simply can't post 50 dynamic ads per page that change every 30 seconds and expect the page to do anything but suck it. It's not just their forums... and my snarky comment about sales - this is exactly what I meant. Just TRY to get the sales guys to let you take one ad off that page.

The promise of getting a car in the mag is the same as for any of the editors/contributors isn't it? I doubt anybody can legitimately promise you 100% that you will get in the mag at a specific time. ? I'm asking, not saying. Anyway, sucks for ya, hopefully you can get into something where you can make a solid impact. I fear you would run into the corporate brick wall a lot on the web presence. Just an opinion... I've never personally worked with SI but I have worked with some HUGE internet companies and even getting them to reboot an obviously hung box is damn near impossible without 5 layers of signoff.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Scott, you deserve to work for them,for the damn magazine. They should get rid of that girl,shes annoying, Liz Miles was good though nothing against broads. Keep it in your mind ,it will happen dont give up. I cant see who they could hire better than you, your pics are great and you write articles better than many that are out there now,what more do they want? The HR website totally sucks by the way,it crashes my computer all the time. I don't go on there.

Comment

It is much easier to get a guy take a half day of time to shoot his car when you have a business card that has a mag's logo on it.

I dont like making these excuses.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                Scott, you deserve to work for them,for the damn magazine. They should get rid of that girl,shes annoying, Liz Miles was good though nothing against broads. Keep it in your mind ,it will happen dont give up. I cant see who they could hire better than you, your pics are great and you write articles better than many that are out there now,what more do they want? The HR website totally sucks by the way,it crashes my computer all the time. I don't go on there.
                Thanks for the props. I figured my biggest competition was guys who ran their own blog sites in the auromotive field. No matter. I will keep at it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

you can't just walk around with a 110 instamatic ?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your disappointment Scott, but extremely happy that your time around this madhouse will not be affected. Post on my friend !!!

Comment

It is much easier to get a guy take a half day of time to shoot his car when you have a business card that has a mag's logo on it.

I dont like making these excuses.
                      I have never had a problem walking up to someone male or female and talking about their car or truck, never had a problem getting the specifics out of them and if needed getting names and phone numbers. This sort of thing happens to be so easy for me, a casual conversation turned into a business opp. 9 out of 10 people are eager to talk about the car hobby they love, and they love the attention. Its really bad, I think your selling yourself short. I could see you being in the car mecca of Cali and having your own business card ''freelance photog''
                      setting up and appointment to shoot a car that's feature worthy. Like they say , there is more than one way to skin a cat. Lots of mags out there, HR not the only game.

Comment

Business Cards don't carry the same weight that they used to, when a printing company produced them and they were fairly expensive. Now days any jerk with a PC and printer can get logos off the internet to replicate any card he wants in 5-minutes. Just a sad fact of life in the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                          Business Cards don't carry the same weight that they used to, when a printing company produced them and they were fairly expensive. Now days any jerk with a PC and printer can get logos off the internet to replicate any card he wants in 5-minutes. Just a sad fact of life in the 21st century.
                          Yeah , I understand that. Not talking about scalping logos like he is with a company and not really being. Not talking about cheap printer cards. Cards however do tell someone who you are and what you do. Just a idea, doesn't matter to me. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
                            Yeah , I understand that. Not talking about scalping logos like he is with a company and not really being. Not talking about cheap printer cards. Cards however do tell someone who you are and what you do. Just a idea, doesn't matter to me. Good luck.
                            Actually, my comment was intended for Scott not to get hung up on the card thing, but what you say is true too ... ha, ha, ha !!!
                            VistaPrint.com will print up some decent cards with a selection of generic background images (250) for the price of shipping.

Comment

Scott, don't let yourself get discouraged. Look for the next opportunity and move forward when you have a chance. You never know what the situation was with regard to the position.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                                Actually, my comment was intended for Scott not to get hung up on the card thing, but what you say is true too ... ha, ha, ha !!!
                                VistaPrint.com will print up some decent cards with a selection of generic background images (250) for the price of shipping.
                                Sorry if I read that the wrong way

Comment

Working...
                                X