Wrecked! !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    if the wreck is within a week - poll the businesses surrounding the intersection and ask if they have surveillance video. That said, in the end it probably won't be worth it because it's stolen and/or no insurance.

nice score on the other truck
    SBG, thanks for the good intentioned tip, but if you were familiar with the type of small central California town this happened in you would realize that the idea is totally out of context. Anyhow, very likely illegal, no or suspended license, no insurance, car registered to someone else if at all, blind drunk at the scene, on probation, gangbanger, firearms in car... I'm not kidding or exaggerating. The only surveillance on the scene were the drunks hanging out in front of the two liqueur stores on the corners.

Thanks for the props on the new old truck!
    -dulcich

Comment

Bad to good luck..nice!
      Sucks that the vato left...
      Prolly right he is illegal.. (no license/insurance)

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Simply amazing that a truck that clean would be in the wrecking yard - was this a cash for clunkers wrecked engine victim - or are rust free clean straight nearly complete older trucks so common out there that people just give up on them.
        as a life-long rust belter - I'm flabergasted - the truck could not have gone to a better home!
        Ditto........that's an amazing find in a bone yard.
        Glad things are turning out well for ya.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

It's just one of those things. I assume the risk with the liability only coverage, and at the end of the day it works out for me considering the cheap insurance rate over many years. When you get down to it the damage was superficial, left fender which already had rust in it, bumper which already needed replacing, box with a totally rusted out bedfloor that I was looking to replace anyway some day. Real losses here are the valance panel which I can hammer and dolly back to perfect, and the radiator support which I can likewise fix; its not that bad. I am most upset about the tiny piece of lower body trim at the front fender character line. Hard to fix, and hard to find.
          -dulcich

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
            It's just one of those things. I assume the risk with the liability only coverage, and at the end of the day it works out for me considering the cheap insurance rate over many years. When you get down to it the damage was superficial, left fender which already had rust in it, bumper which already needed replacing, box with a totally rusted out bedfloor that I was looking to replace anyway some day. Real losses here are the valance panel which I can hammer and dolly back to perfect, and the radiator support which I can likewise fix; its not that bad. I am most upset about the tiny piece of lower body trim at the front fender character line. Hard to fix, and hard to find.
            -dulcich
            You never mentioned.......did you ever get to eat those tacos?
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              Ditto........that's an amazing find in a bone yard.
              Glad things are turning out well for ya.
              Interestingly, once I had it pulled from death row and put out to the side to await pick-up and bolted those awful steel wheels to it, several people inquired about buying it, even one guy while it was being loaded.
              -dulcich

Comment

Interestingly, once I had it pulled from death row and put out to the side to await pick-up and bolted those awful steel wheels to it, several people inquired about buying it, even one guy while it was being loaded.
                -dulcich
                Most folks assume, wrongly, that those in the yard only leave as parts..

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  You never mentioned.......did you ever get to eat those tacos?
                  Monk, very good question. In fact, once I got the truck started I flipped it around and was going to give chase. The guy was over out a mile up, getting on the freeway. His car was really bashed heavily, and I could clearly see him in the distance.

You guys might call me a pussy, but I was reelling replaying the event in my head. I wanted so bad to haul ass after the dude; I was so eager for a confrontation, a fist fight, some road derby action. Honestly, I kind of really like that sort of thing at times. But then I started second guessing everything. It happened so quickly, I wanted to go look at the intersection again. I was 99.9% sure of the sign posting and right of way, but then started thinking what if I was wrong and I get in a high speed chase and get all these cops around and end up hanging myself. I actually thought through the situation and potential outcomes.

I thought, I know there is nothing really to gain by intercepting the guy, except it would be lots of fun. I realized right off that the chance of compensation was virtually zero. Then I started to think if I rammed the guy in a Pitt move or something like that, or even ran them off the road and got the cops on the scene I had better be cock sure of the scene, which I wasn't able to reconcile without another look. I had some irrational doubts, just because of how unusual the impact was. I mean, it just never happens that someone would hook a turn broadside like you are not even there. I didn't want to be the one leaving in cuffs.

My tire was rubbing on the smashed fender as all this was going though my mind, and I just decided EF-it, I'm going to go get my tacos. Got out the passenger door since the driver side was locked-up against the fender, picked up my tacos, then went back to the scene for a thorough look. No question, the guy just rammed my truck in a inexplicable way, 100% at fault. Went home and had those tacos - authentic, very spicy, dripping with fatty grease, very soothing - while waiting for the CHP to arrive.
                  Last edited by dulcich; June 1, 2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Using your truck to put him of the road when your life wasn't being threatened could get you in a whole heap of trouble. I don't know.....assault with a deadly weapon.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      Simply amazing that a truck that clean would be in the wrecking yard - was this a cash for clunkers wrecked engine victim - or are rust free clean straight nearly complete older trucks so common out there that people just give up on them.
                      as a life-long rust belter - I'm flabergasted - the truck could not have gone to a better home!
                      They are all over the place. I've talked about making a business of buying them up and shipping them northeast for a profit. The prices plummeted when gas prices hit $4.00 a gallon and stayed.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Monk, very good question. In fact, once I got the truck started I flipped it around and was going to give chase. The guy was over out a mile up, getting on the freeway. His car was really bashed heavily, and I could clearly see him in the distance.

You guys might call me a pussy, but I was reelling replaying the event in my head. I wanted so bad to haul ass after the dude; I was so eager for a confrontation, a fist fight, some road derby action. Honestly, I kind of really like that sort of thing at times. But then I started second guessing everything. It happened so quickly, I wanted to go look at the intersection again. I was 99.9% sure of the sign posting and right of way, but then started thinking what if I was wrong and I get in a high speed chase and get all these cops around and end up hanging myself. I actually thought through the situation and potential outcomes.

I thought, I know there is nothing really to gain by intercepting the guy, except it would be lots of fun. I realized right off that the chance of compensation was virtually zero. Then I started to think if I rammed the guy in a Pitt move or something like that, or even ran them off the road and got the cops on the scene I had better be cock sure of the scene, which I wasn't able to reconcile without another look. I had some irrational doubts, just because of how unusual the impact was. I mean, it just never happens that someone would hook a turn broadside like you are not even there. I didn't want to be the one leaving in cuffs.

My tire was rubbing on the smashed fender as all this was going though my mind, and I just decided EF-it, I'm going to go get my tacos. Got out the passenger door since the driver side was locked-up against the fender, picked up my tacos, then went back to the scene for a thorough look. No question, the guy just rammed my truck in a inexplicable way, 100% at fault. Went home and had those tacos - authentic, very spicy, dripping with fatty grease, very soothing - while waiting for the CHP to arrive.
                        I would've only given chase long enough to get his plate number. Let the cops do the rest.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice score, Pussy.

Seriously just kidding. You might have been shot. Some guys get really itchy about going back to prison, getting deported, getting killed for the inevitable confiscation of all the dope in their car, that kind of thing. You did the right thing Pooh. When confronted with the apocalypse, Pooh bear would say "So, you got any hunny?"

Depending on the title condition here we can sometimes get a car out of the yard complete. Looks like it should get you around for a while in decent style. I don't see step sides at all anymore that haven't become a red wagon clone. Does this one have A/C ? It'll be winter if the white one takes six months, how hard is it to move the a/c stuff?

Not too bad of a silver lining for such a big cloud. Taking bets on how long the 318 stays "just a cam and a 4bbl" ?
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

great to hear you scored a clean donor vehicle after the spot of bad luck... hopefully Karma will take care of the Idiot that hit you,,,
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              great to hear you scored a clean donor vehicle after the spot of bad luck... hopefully Karma will take care of the Idiot that hit you,,,
                              roger that. The guy who stole my CBR1100xx hit a cow with it and broke his back. Karma is not to be trifled with.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                They are all over the place. I've talked about making a business of buying them up and shipping them northeast for a profit. The prices plummeted when gas prices hit $4.00 a gallon and stayed.
                                Thats what this guy does!

And honestly his stuff isn't all that clean. But 6-8K for trucks in an area where they have turned to dust years ago...they seem to get bought pretty quick.

Man that truck is SOOO nice straight from the yard!! I'm another rust belter drooling!
                                Last edited by andy30thz; June 2, 2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X