396 combos-let's hear them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 396 combos-let's hear them

I have a 396 with standard rebuilders pistons as far as the domes go, 110 cc heads (9.5 ish to 1?) and looking for a decent sounding, yet torquey combo. I'm thinking a Comp 270H, pocket work on the heads, C396 and 750HP Holley. It's going in a 69 Elcamino w.3.55's. Thoughts?
    Last edited by groucho; February 16, 2014, 08:03 AM.
    STUGOTS

I did just fine with a setup like that...while you're pocket porting the heads you might consider adding 2.19/1.88 valves. I'd like to go with more cam, but then you get into wear problems...how many miles will it see? 20k miles is about it for a .550 lift flat tappet in a big block in my experience.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      I did just fine with a setup like that...while you're pocket porting the heads you might consider adding 2.19/1.88 valves. I'd like to go with more cam, but then you get into wear problems...how many miles will it see? 20k miles is about it for a .550 lift flat tappet in a big block in my experience.
      The 270H is .510 lift (224 @ .050). I'm looking for something snappy (light to light type shit), and I was actually thinking I should possibly entertain the next smaller cam(?). All thoughts welcome. Oh, wouldn't the bigger valves be of more use closer to 5000 RPM and not so much the light to light RPM?
      STUGOTS

Comment

I don't know for sure about the valve size...you probably get more from the port cleanup, than you do from the larger valves in an engine like this.

Cam selection probably really depends on the torque converter. 2500 stall could get away with a little more cam than the 270, but if you're keeping a stock stall speed then you'd probably be better off with a smaller cam.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pull it, stick it on the shelf and grab a 454. Decent heads, mild cam, etc.
          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

That cam is pretty tame by today's standards, but should produce nice torque. Not sure which heads you are using, but for more mid range torque you want to keep port velocity up. So, I wouldn't port the snot out of them.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

With a smaller cam the 396 I ran in my '70 El Camino for years was a pleasure on the street and never ran out of torque. Decent milage too if you went easy. Pocket porting's enough just because of how rough the stock ports are in that area. (Just don't ever try a set of those awful peanut-port heads on anything, thinking they'll be better on the street 'cause they won't.) 396's don't get any press or raves but are still a great all-around musclecar motor.

Comment

Should work really nice, and may actually want a bigger carb. I wouldn't go any smaller on the cam. I used a 225 @ .050 on 110 CL in my DD 406. Cam grinder wanted me to go smaller for off idle torque but I didn't. If it had any more torque off idle I don't know what I would have done with it. Perfectly happy with stock converter, a/c, 2.56 gear.

Comment

The 305 of the rat motors. Nothing wrong with driving them. Putting rebuild money in them
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                    The 305 of the rat motors.
                    If 305's had forged bottom ends, great breathing, high compression stock and made 500hp easy.

Comment

The 305 of the rat motors. Nothing wrong with driving them. Putting rebuild money in them
                      That's what I'm trying to say. Just say no to 396/402s. Find a good 454 short block(peanut port engines are cheap these days), and assuming it has compatible pistons, use your 396 heads.
                      Last edited by 1970camaroRS; June 11, 2013, 12:55 PM.
                      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I like 305's. I put a $100 one of those in a 60 Impala a few yrs ago and it had all the low end of any stock 350. Very pleased.
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                          That's what I'm trying to say. Just say no to 396/402s. Find a good 454 short block(peanut port engines are cheap these days), and assuming it has compatible pistons, use your 396 heads.
                          My customer/friend wants the 396. So I started this thread to give him the best combo I could.
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                            I like 305's. I put a $100 one of those in a 60 Impala a few yrs ago and it had all the low end of any stock 350. Very pleased.
                            I liked the H.O.
                            just building a few of them, a 305 is not small, gm chose to keep it there for the most part. Easy going, all the cars they came in had squashy rides (nice ride), even the trucks were comfy.

the 396 can be legendary. their very first year is a good one to replicate...or go even bigger.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I've seen some mighty stout 396's
                              Saw one in a caprice smoke a newer vette with a 454... I'm sure both were built but the 396 was dialed in better..
                              I rather think of 396's as the 307's...
                              There are advantages with 396 over 454's. Balance is one?

Comment

Working...
                              X