Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best tow rigs ever...

The way it should be.....

Step back in time to the 1986 Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio and check out six unusual tow vehicles!

Re: The best tow rigs ever...

that was cool. I just wonder if any of them were legal to tow that much. Not that i really car but , I've been pulling my 25' car trailer in emergencys with a camero on the back every one in a while with our factory 200hp vortec astro .It really doesn't do to bad on flat central Ind land .But just wondering if I'm legal. I really would like a more dedicated tow rig as I want to get more imvolved with racing and don't want to worry about a ride home.I think it would be cool If a Roadmaster wagon would be legal .

Comment

I was wondering myself if one of those b-body wagons would work as a tow rig. I think the towing capacity on one is 5000 lbs. I am sure that decreases when you put lowering springs on it to improve the look though. I saw an Impala SS pulling an early 70's camaro down the road here the other day. It only looked to be sagging a little.
      Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

a 25' trailer....hmm...I'd say you'd be pushing your luck.

DOT can get really ornery about that stuff....personally, I wouldn't be towing something like that with either choices listed.

Th rear suspensions just aren't designed to handle that much weight, much less be able to handle the excess weight and such at speed.

You could potentially 'bag the rear, but still....better off to pony up for at least a 1/2-ton truck, upgrade the leafs on the rear.

Comment

My 25 foot trailer weighs about 7K dry, My 1/2 ton 4X4 Dodge MUST have load levelers and sway brake...

My 76 Ford wagon used to pull a 20 foot trailer to Florida every winter for 17 years, the old man said it was a great tow rig..

Comment

A friend used to flat tow his Dart to Tucson Dragway behind his Skylark GS.....and back in the 50s/60s it was pretty common to see a long travel trailer behind a full size car.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hell ya!!
              In the 80s I used a 71 ltd wagon to tow with it was better than any thing at the time.

Comment

The thing is that .....(very big) ....If I were to buy something else to tow with,i'd really be great if it was something cooler than just a truck. It just seems a shame that they only haul air around for 98% of the time .Don't get me wrong ,I do like trucks but before the T-A I had a string of four so I really would like some thing a little more versatile . And you can still haul the proverbial 4x8 sheet of plywood in a full size wagon! Maybe my Trailer is lighter mine doesn't have those thick wooden boards,the deck is all diamond plate steel . Only like an 1/8 in" thick . ( chuckle )

Comment

About 10 years ago I saw the "tow rig" of all time. Southbound 405 freeway in So. California, a mid sixties Ferrari pulling a small bike trailer with a restored Norton Manx on it. I wish I'd had my camera.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                    The thing is that .....(very big) ....If I were to buy something else to tow with,i'd really be great if it was something cooler than just a truck. It just seems a shame that they only haul air around for 98% of the time .Don't get me wrong ,I do like trucks but before the T-A I had a string of four so I really would like some thing a little more versatile . And you can still haul the proverbial 4x8 sheet of plywood in a full size wagon! Maybe my Trailer is lighter mine doesn't have those thick wooden boards,the deck is all diamond plate steel . Only like an 1/8 in" thick . ( chuckle )

I am telling you, you need something like a 74 to 76 LTD wagon....My dad had a white 74 and My 76 was as stout as any truck and with a 460 under the hood it would haul the mail, the kids, a trailer and a case or two of beer the down side..... NOT once did that monster ever pass a gas station

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                      Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                      I have a friend that has a cool car sales and there is a 73 455 pontiac safari power everything,if I had an older ta (70s ) that would be just it . Need something period correct.

I am telling you, you need something like a 74 to 76 LTD wagon....My dad had a white 74 and My 76 was as stout as any truck and with a 460 under the hood it would haul the mail, the kids, a trailer and a case or two of beer the down side..... NOT once did that monster ever pass a gas station

Comment

I've been mulling over my original post on this thread, and really......if the loaded trailer doesn't exceed the tow vehicle's towing capacities, I'm cool with it.

A small part of the problem is with the idiots running up and down the intersates, grossly overloaded....too much weight towards the front, back end of the tow vehicle damn near on the ground.

Hitch points mounted WAAAY too low for the application, pulling trailers too big for the tow vehicle when empty, let alone loaded with as much as a sheet of drywall.

Personally, I dig the haulers of Sox&Martin, and Richard Petty(1960's-era).....sharp trucks. With some modern rubber and a modern drivetrain(C-series Cummins and overdrive transmissions...the old 2-speed rear axles are a pain in the ass.......bias-plys+split-rims=no thanks), they'd be my pick..... ;D

Comment

My Dad had a 1970 Buick Estate Wagon w/ 455 power. We had a 1964 Frohlic (sp) travel trailer.....all steel frame n solid wood inside, and he drug that thing all over the Rocky Mntns taking us camping. There was a class 3 reciever hitch on it too, from the factory.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I really want a 70 AMC Rebel Wagon to pull the Machine with...I would love to do it up as a "Machine Wagon"...my current tow rig is a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 8.0 litre V10...tows great...but uses a ton of gas

Comment

Yeah thats what I think is cool is when your tow rig has the right vib for te car your hauling.I sort of play the violation game here. As cool as the old ceo 1-2 ton trucks are ,it just wouldn't look RIGHT with anything newer then 10 yrs on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X