A different take on global warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A different take on global warming

Sky and Telescope magazine August 2009 "What's wrong with our Sun?" by Robert Zimmerman.

Gee Randall... and I thought u were cool just because u have the second coolest (75-79)ed x-body on this site...(sorry turk). But u like science too.......and u read! damn dude..... R u sure your a 'true' hotrodder? :D ;D

But seriously folks. The man knows of what he speaks. ...where's my beer?

I like science too. And I think this is interesting. I think Al Gore is gonna be bummed. Cause I think It just might be getting colder.....

Sunspots. They are a reflection of the strength and orientation of our Sun's magnetic field. Our Sun has a north and south magnetic pole just like the earth does. But the Sun's Poles will swap places every 11 yrs or so. As the magnetic field flips - it produces dark 'Spots" on the surface of the Sun. They are connection 'nodes' for the magnetic field. and they increase the overall emision from the Sun...So...earth warms when there are allot of Sunspots. This magnetic field is immense and shields our planet from the outside 'galactic' winds, keeping nasty cosmic ray particles from breaking up our Ozone...but thats another lie..sorry...story. Any Way.....

The point of this is that our Sun has lost its spots. Sunspot record keeping is not very long. Accurate records only go back to about AD1000 by Chinese astronomers. They suggest cyclical warming and cooling trends primarily connected to our Sun's activity and primarily, the number and intensity of Sunspot activity. But again this is only about a 1000 yrs of data. Not really enough to make any kind of 'correct' judgement, but , hey, its all we got. SO..... What this means. Is that we may be entering a prolonged period of cooling. I live in southwest Ohio, and our summers are usually 90's and no rain. Not this yr. 1 Day over 90 I think and so much rain I can't believe it. Its supposed to get down into the fifties here tonight. i think..... I will grab a couple of clips from this particular article for you to read. Its in this Mo's issue of the Mag so it is not available online. GO BUY THE MAG. this thread rocks.

"Strange things going on"

'- The ongoing deep and extended solar minimum remains a mystery. previously, the yr 1913 had seen the fewest sunspots, with the Sun completely blank, with no sunspots visible on 266 out of 365 days, or 73%. This yr, through May 20th, the Sun has been even blanker, with no sunspots on 115 out of 140 days, or 82%. Moreover, this solar minimum has lasted far longer than average. A typical solar minimum has about 485 spotless days (ed. - out of 11 yrs). The present solar minimum, which began in 2004, has already had 626 spotless dyas through may 20th.
    This solar minimum has also been unusual for other reasons. For example, the Sun's irradiance (brightness) has been down compared to recent minima. Though the Sun is typically dimmer by a small amount at miniumum, about 0.1%, it has dimmed more during this recent minimum than in any previous minimum , since the mid-1970's, when sattelites first began measuring the Sun's irradiance with precision. " It's not very much, but it appears to be a measurable difference and that's a problem." says (subject author) Pesnell. "The Sun is not supposed to be able to get dimmer or brighter in this fashion."
    The Sun's magnetic field has also been acting strange. The magnetic field strength peaks during solar minimum. Yet for each of the last 3 solar minima (11 yr cycles), the field strength has been progressively less. From the '85-'86 minimum to the '96-'97 minimum, the drop was almost 20%, and from '96-'97 to the present day minimum, the drop was an additional 45% (!!).
    The solar wind has also acted differently. The Ulysses spacecraft spent the last two decades in (a) polar orbit around the Sun. Ulysses found that during that period, the solar winds speed dropped by about 3%, it's tempature dropped by 13%, and its density dropped by 20%. Such changes mean that the solar wind is exerting less pressure on the intergalactic medium, thereby shrinking the helioshpere and allowing more cosmic rays from our galaxy to leak into the solar system. "

" The Sun, however, has not always been so reliable. Not long after Galileo made the first telescopic sunspot observations in 1609, the Sun stopped making spots. From 1645 to 1715 the Sun produced virtually no sunpsots at all. This quiet period, called the Maunder Minimum, was also a period in which Earth went through a period called the "Little Ice Age", a time of unusally cold temperatures, crop failures, and even famine."

It got real bad in europe. real cold for a long time. decades. Allot of settlers came to this country during this time to get away from the cold european weather that was goin' on.

I am unsure about CO2. But I believe in Methane from the Hydrate deposits and permafrost loss. and that might be bad.
    All gasoline pricing is fictious crap and bullshit.
    2c.
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

All things considered, if the relatively mild winter we had here in Kansas and this incredibly mild summer are any indication of what global warming will be, then bring it on, brother! I love this weather!

If Kalifornia cooks and drops off into the sea, that wouldn't be too bad of a thing from where I am sitting.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
        All things considered, if the relatively mild winter we had here in Kansas and this incredibly mild summer are any indication of what global warming will be, then bring it on, brother! I love this weather!

If Kalifornia cooks and drops off into the sea, that wouldn't be too bad of a thing from where I am sitting.

Ron
        I'm with you, last year we had over 40 days when the temps where over 110 degrees, it was brutal. This year we had about 2 weeks of 110+ weather and for the last week we've been in the low to mid 100's and this is early August.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

Ron
          I'm with you, last year we had over 40 days when the temps where over 110 degrees, it was brutal. This year we had about 2 weeks of 110+ weather and for the last week we've been in the low to mid 100's and this is early August.
          But it's dry heat! ;) ;D
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

How can I increase my carbon footprint?

;D
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Chili Ron....lots of Chili.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Brian
                That ain't carbon!! ;D
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
                  Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Brian
                  That ain't carbon!! ;D
                  Ya all that's going to do in increase his Methane footprint. ;)

Comment

Methane gas DOES contain carbon. The chemical symbol is CH4, thus, one carbon atom is bonded to four hydrogen atoms. No wonder this stuff burns so well.

Brian, one day I hope you can sample my chili. I pride myself on very hot, yet very tasty chili. Bring beer. You're gonna need it! (Beer has CO2 in it, thus increasing our carbon footprints even more.)

Ron

Comment

Methane gas DOES contain carbon. The chemical symbol is CH4, thus, one carbon atom is bonded to four hydrogen atoms. No wonder this stuff burns so well.

Brian, one day I hope you can sample my chili. I pride myself on very hot, yet very tasty chili. Bring beer. You're gonna need it! (Beer has CO2 in it, thus increasing our carbon footprints even more.)

Ron

Hmmm Ron, looks like we need to have a chili cook off, as I've been told I make a pretty damn good chili myself.

Comment

maybe we need to start a chilli thread.

What kinds of pepers do you guys use in your chilli?

We have had very good luck growing peppers in our garden - but not much luck with tomatoes for some odd reason - so this year we put the tomatoes out front in pots and tried those hanging upside down things -- so far mixed results.

Rhonda makes a mean pot of chilli too - unfortunately - I have sort of a weak stomach for hot stuff - I had a duodenal ulcer in college... so she can't make it as hot as she'd like, but she makes it very tasty without being too hot.

Beans and Beef, just Beef, just beans, venison, chicken? what's your preference?
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ya gotta love this place. A thread about global warming spawns another thread about chili. Mmmmmm..... chili.

Ron

Comment

Ron,

We'll be needing some chili for the BS East Feast. You (as are all BS members, of course) are cordially invited to attend.

Hey, Brian's gonna need something to keep Caveman awake on the way home Sunday... :D

Gene
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I can hear him screaming for mercy now.

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Maybe we can share recipies that include spotted owl or whooping crane.....

;D

Political incorrectness is my forte!

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X