A different take on global warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different take on global warming

This is from the guy that started The Wheather Channel.

Cognizant Dissident

Re: A different take on globel warming

I'm surprised he didn't quote Hansen, the Chief Climatologist for NASA, anywhere in there. That guy too is a bias political hack of a scientist. I've read Hansen's reports on his "Global Warming Computer Models" and they are sooooooooo skewed by his personal beliefs it can hardly be called a scientific paper. Not that a computer model can actually count as a scientific test, it's a best guess by the programmer, and Hansen's models are 50% his gut feelings or he uses some lame excuse why real world data doesn't fit his model so he'll change a number until the model predicts what he wants to see. The leadership at the NOAA and associated support colleges are just as bias, look at the hurricane forecasts for the last five or so years against how many we've had. (I'll tell you we've had average or fewer when they keep saying that we'll be getting well above average every year because of Global Warming). Eh, I'm going to stop here, I could go on all night here :P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

check your spelling on "globel"

Comment

Been to Venus lately? The atmosphere is mostly CO2, the temperature is pretty darn high. Interesting....

Anyways, the article seems to ignore the little fact that a 20% increase in atmospheric CO2 is pretty significant...and the author seems to not comprehend the fact that this increase is the direct result of us pumping oil out of the ground and burning it, and digging coal out of the ground and burning it.

We eat food that has carbon in it, so we breathe out more carbon than we breathe in...but that is not carbon that was previously buried.

Whether or not our climate is changing because of the added CO2 in the atmosphere is a question that we can't really answer at this time, and from what I can tell the prophets of doom and gloom have a screw loose...but I doubt they're the cause of high gas prices. Might have more to do with our ever increasing prosperity, which is spreading to the rest of the world.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          Been to Venus lately? The atmosphere is mostly CO2, the temperature is pretty darn high. Interesting....

Anyways, the article seems to ignore the little fact that a 20% increase in atmospheric CO2 is pretty significant...and the author seems to not comprehend the fact that this increase is the direct result of us pumping oil out of the ground and burning it, and digging coal out of the ground and burning it.

We eat food that has carbon in it, so we breathe out more carbon than we breathe in...but that is not carbon that was previously buried.

Whether or not our climate is changing because of the added CO2 in the atmosphere is a question that we can't really answer at this time, and from what I can tell the prophets of doom and gloom have a screw loose...but I doubt they're the cause of high gas prices. Might have more to do with our ever increasing prosperity, which is spreading to the rest of the world.

Talk about the kettle. Venus is a smig closer to the sun than we are!
          It may lead to the fact that the surface temps are hotter............... :

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1320
            Originally posted by squirrel

Talk about the kettle. Venus is a smig closer to the sun than we are!
            It may lead to the fact that the surface temps are hotter............... :
            Might also have something to do with Volcanoes....http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/planet...nus/intro.html
            Kind of hard to blame Venus' global warming on us, doesn't it? Also makes you wonder just how insignificant our impact on CO2 levels really is.
            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

LOL, funny how we forgot about the hole in the ozone that was going to bake us to death.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

IF CO2 is the cause and not just correlative then going by paleo-climates of the Mesozoic we need to have a 500% increase of CO2 in the atmosphere to get to the 10-20 degrees warmer it was then than it is now. :

Comment

Either side of this argument is missing the point IMO.

As a race we are totally incapable of supporting ourselves without natural resources here on Earth, which are being used up, so whether or not you worry about global warming - there will be a time where we go extinct, or nearly, because we don't know how to live entirely off of resources that don't come from this planet.

So for the guys who think the global warming issue is bogus, you're not out of the woods yet - we're headed down the path of extinction no matter how crazy you think the liberals are.

For those worried about global warming, we're eventually going to run out of resources and be extinct anyways, who cares if the dinosaurs didn't burn millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every day?
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                    Either side of this argument is missing the point IMO.

As a race we are totally incapable of supporting ourselves without natural resources here on Earth, which are being used up, so whether or not you worry about global warming - there will be a time where we go extinct, or nearly, because we don't know how to live entirely off of resources that don't come from this planet.

So for the guys who think the global warming issue is bogus, you're not out of the woods yet - we're headed down the path of extinction no matter how crazy you think the liberals are.

For those worried about global warming, we're eventually going to run out of resources and be extinct anyways, who cares if the dinosaurs didn't burn millions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every day?
                    You make an excellent point. This old world was here long before we started walking its surface and she will be here long after we are gone. The earth has incredible clensing capabilities and will purge itself nicely. Millions of years from now, the sun will be shining and the air will be clean and the human race will have had nothing to do with it other than vanish and let the earth take care of itself.

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I don't hold onto any illusion that man will be around forever, geologic time is a very very very very, well you get the idea, long time. We are very adaptable, but fragile at the same time (come on large asteroid and solve all our social problems!) so I think we'll give it a good run but as DieselGeek pointed out, its all a matter of when our resources run out.

Comment

Here is the Hansen I was talking about:

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL

Comment

Don't plants convert CO2 to oxygen??

And if adding CO2 to the atmosphere causes a green house effect, wouldn't that cause more plants to grow and thus be able to process more CO2 to oxygen.

And since 90% of all oxygen comes from the plankton in the sea, wouldn't having warmer seas allow the plankton to multiply and consume more CO2.

And if you look at this way if the polar caps melt, that's just more prime real estate in a colder climate. ;)

And one last thing, Hemp consumes 16x more CO2 than any other plant on the planet. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                            Don't plants convert CO2 to oxygen??

And if adding CO2 to the atmosphere causes a green house effect, wouldn't that cause more plants to grow and thus be able to process more CO2 to oxygen.

And since 90% of all oxygen comes from the plankton in the sea, wouldn't having warmer seas allow the plankton to multiply and consume more CO2.

And if you look at this way if the polar caps melt, that's just more prime real estate in a colder climate. ;)

And one last thing, Hemp consumes 16x more CO2 than any other plant on the planet. Think about it.
                            I've read a biology study about limiting factors of growth in the Amazon rain forest that the biggest limiting factor in plant growth there is lack of CO2, there is plenty of light, water and soil nurtrients, just lack of CO2. Another extrapolation I've heard about is the warmer the Earth and warmer the oceans the more algae (and other small photo-plankton) grow to absorb CO2 in the Oceans. When they absorb the CO2 they release lots of oxygen at the same time. This is basically what went on in the Mesozoic, temperature was 10-20*F warmer, CO2 was five times higher and Oxygen was three or so percent higher as well from the active plant life. I don't think CO2 is a cause, part of the reason I believe CO2 is corraletive and not the cause is warming in the Mesozoic was a combination of other events, namely the formation of Pangea keeping the poles flush with warm ocean water, and a few other major factors that are thought to have contributed (Methane Hydrate deposit releases and Siberian Trap eruptions, etc). Someone mentioned Venus earlier as CO2 rich and really hot, I counter with Mars as CO2 rich as well and very cold (Venus is closer to the sun and very volcanically active as mentioned, but no one also mentioned the incrediblely high atmospheric pressure keeping the atmosphere warm as well).

Comment

Yap Save the Rain Forrest, Drive a SUV. ;) ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X