Need a junk sbc block in SoCal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groucho View Post
    Have you looked for a used Little M? I would exhaust all options before patching that block. Was the fuel pump boss damaged too?
    Yes, it was. But, the engine was being fed by a A1000 anyways.

I don't know all the reasons for this. So, I am not going to be second guessing his decision. I am sure he thought about it. I am told the block will be near as strong as new after the fix. I am going with the opinion from people who have done this for years.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      . I am told the block will be *******NEAR AS STRONG******* after the fix.
      Have you looked for a used little M?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Last edited by groucho; June 23, 2013, 07:47 PM.
      STUGOTS

Comment

Have you looked for a used little M?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        Like I said. I am not involved in the decision making. I am just trying to help out a friend, not second guess him. I am not making judgements on his decision because I dont have all the info. Neither shoukd you. If you dont want to help, dont.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Like I said. I am not involved in the decision making. I am just trying to help out a friend, not second guess him. I am not making judgements on his decision because I dont have all the info. Neither shoukd you. If you dont want to help, dont.
          It was just a Damn question so lighten up. I'm NOT passing judgement either, so don't put words in my mouth. The block is the foundation of it all. Maybe things have improved on welding cast.......but in my experiences with broken cast pieces, in his case the block, it has to be heated red hot to properly weld on it. If it cools during the weld it goes back in the oven to get red again. All this distorts everything and all the machining processes have to be redone to get straight main saddles, decks, and bores. Again, like I said, there may be break thrus in this making it not necessary to heat red hot. Also, you mention it is not, and never will be a race motor. If that's the case just machine a stock block for all his pieces to go in. I'm not passing judgement, but voicing opinions as MANY OTHERS have as well. Keep one thing in mind, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit!
          Last edited by groucho; June 24, 2013, 08:17 AM.
          STUGOTS

Comment

Keep one thing in mind, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit!
            Sure you can, but it'll taste like shit though.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

There HAS to be a machine shop that has a "bad" block near you. Or, at car shows or the race track, someone should have one sitting outside waiting for the scrap guy...
              As others have said, if only I lived closer.

Comment

See whatcha get by trying to help, Scott?

Comment

^^^^^ No kidding... LOL! I too would like to see this procedure documented if possible. : )
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

I have TC's address - he has several junk SBC blocks he'll never use.

(cough - cheap shot - cough)
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It was just a Damn question so lighten up. I'm NOT passing judgement either, so don't put words in my mouth. The block is the foundation of it all. Maybe things have improved on welding cast.......but in my experiences with broken cast pieces, in his case the block, it has to be heated red hot to properly weld on it. If it cools during the weld it goes back in the oven to get red again. All this distorts everything and all the machining processes have to be redone to get straight main saddles, decks, and bores. Again, like I said, there may be break thrus in this making it not necessary to heat red hot. Also, you mention it is not, and never will be a race motor. If that's the case just machine a stock block for all his pieces to go in. I'm not passing judgement, but voicing opinions as MANY OTHERS have as well. Keep one thing in mind, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit!
                      This coming from the guy who gets peeved every time one of his threads gets off topic.

I am sure Yannick has looked. I am sure he has weighed the options and this is the best one for him. Buying a used block is always a crap shoot. Then, a used block would not be likely machined to accept the rotating assembly he reusing. Remachining used block cost money. This is just my speculations on his decisions. I didn't ask him.

I think I will take the opinion of a machinist who specializes in this exact repair and has done so for more than 40 years over anyone else's. Shop name: Kelly's Block Welding.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sounds like it will be cool if it works, i have seen some block repairs but thats a big one, its super
                        cool that you have a good machinist there, we have no one left around here, they wanted $400 for
                        a valve job with used valves and knureled guides
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

They gonna spray weld it?
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                            Scott, you guys will be much better off to junk that block. I don't think fixing it is worth the effort. I suggest getting another one.
                            fixing it may make a crank crusher (maine is third world, you should see some of the crap I drove)

ignoring steel, and just verifying it can spin around is as blind as.. I guess normal person.

steel crank works on resonance containing it..all the way to the chassis holding the engine, and earth holding the chassis...

a tough spot is an inverted hammer working voodoo.

I agree with dulcich. Get a block. There is even made in china four bolt mains that would do better than a repair.

I remember past threads on this. If to get a new block, and doubting it... bake it at 500 for a couple of hours, slow cool. its a trick even the U.S. military used. they had machinery cranking out like cup cakes.. not exactly perfect.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 24, 2013, 08:40 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71 View Post
                              sounds like it will be cool if it works, i have seen some block repairs but thats a big one, its super
                              cool that you have a good machinist there, we have no one left around here, they wanted $400 for
                              a valve job with used valves and knureled guides
                              That sucks. My heads cost $482. But, I brought bare heads. Stainless valves, retainers, locks, studs, guide plates, and a Felpro full engine gasket kit. I only brought the valve springs.
                              Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 24, 2013, 10:17 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Scott i would not try and fix this block. others have voiced their opinions on the subject and i would agree it is not a good idea. Jeff Smith from Craft Car has a used Dart Little M block for sale and i would suggest calling him. if you don't have his number just pm me and i will give it to you. the price he wants is fair and not much more than what you would be paying for the repairs. regardless of if it is not raced or not it would be the right way to go. just my .02 cents............
                                Racing Solves Everything

Comment

Working...
                                X