Tire Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Question

Tire Question: It's not like I don't know anything about cars and all but can anyone explain to me -at a basic level- why when everything else that goes around corners tends to short sidewalls w/ wide rim support, NASCAR stuff has these overstuffed baloneys?

My belief would be that they would wiggle and roll around sideways, and work better in a sand dune...I'm not really a NASCAR guy and my NASCAR For Dummies (really) has nothing...

Very cool photo ripped off from Oldsman 496.

Indy tires are pretty big sidewall too?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Marketing to the common everyday stuff.

Heat dissapation to the Nascar/Indy stuff.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

And Formula One cars still use a 13 inch diameter wheel, go figure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	formula00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	870746
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

it starts with the engine.
          for us road goers with a fine tune, hammering our backside with a hug-a-tree 1 inch sidewall tread is ok.

Shared journals really hammering can shake eyeballs.
          those tires are a sign of power to me, always will be. Dragsters too.
          they absorb the finale, the output.

imagine a tractor trailer with 36 inch donks and a 1 inch sidewall?
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 22, 2013, 10:53 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Advertising, are going to be able to read 1/8 letters or 1 1/2 Inch letters in the pictures?
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I was thinking of 'logical reasons' to explain why they run these vintage balloon tires, but then it struck me... It probably must have something to do with those nitpicking rules they have.

Not sure yet if this goes only for the track below or Nationwide, but I think I found why:

g.
              Wheels and Lug Bolts:

(1) Only approved 15-inch diameter steel wheels with a
              maximum 8-inch rim width and a reinforced center are permitted.
              And a little further on:

h.
              Tires:

(1) Tires must be purchased from KCRPP.
              (2) Approved tire is Hoosier 8"
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Because racecar.
                short sidewall tires "snap" loose and taller sidewalls are more forgiving,
                you can't fit a safety blatter in a short sidewall tire that nascar runs at the super speedways.
                how many street cars run WFO for 50-70 laps on those 1.5" side walls?
                marketing big brakes ,as you can't stuff race pads in a street car and have them work cold. but you can stuff street pads in a large swept area rotor and have "fair" brakes. anyone remember the late 80's farehawk. those brakes didn't work at all until you got some heat in them..
                market shorter sidewall tires, that use less rubber and charge 2x+ for them..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                  Because racecar.
                  short sidewall tires "snap" loose and taller sidewalls are more forgiving,
                  you can't fit a safety blatter in a short sidewall tire that nascar runs at the super speedways.
                  market shorter sidewall tires, that use less rubber and charge 2x+ for them..
                  What he said.

Short sidewall tires are MUCH less forgiving when it comes to heat soak, and they tend to wear out the edges a lot faster
                  I had also heard that cost was a reason for the tire.

truly, i think that the single supplier, spec tire, super duper durable, is one of the key reasons for parity among the teams.

Do you think that they should open up this area to more tire mfg's? It would seriously change the game.
                  How many other race series state a single supplier for the season? (other thantruck/nationwide...)??

ed - Loren, feel free to steal my pics anytime.

my lawyer will be in touch about the royalties contract
                  Last edited by oldsman496; June 22, 2013, 07:32 PM.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Watch the WINSTON cup Boys hit the curbs at Sears Point this weekend .....you will get your answer

Comment

Inner liner/safety spare. There's basically another complete tire inside there.

Comment

Working...
                      X