Duramax, 4BT, or 6BT swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duramax, 4BT, or 6BT swap

I have an H3 Alpha, I want a diesel - and I'm looking at 2008 up duramax diesels. They weight ~400 lbs more (almost double what the 5.3 weighs).

Is there enough structure in the front of an H3 to support that much more weight? I really don't want to change the IFS - but will if I have to - though that will add time and cost to the project

*as an aside, I also am looking at 4BT, and 6BT Cummins but I think I'd have emissions problems with the 4BT, and the 6BT may not fit.....

or is this just stupid? Mind you, I have already put 15k on my H3 since I bought it in September; and I would drive it a lot more if I could get its mpg out of the 13 mpg it seems stuck at getting.... and I'm not selling it, ever - I'll run it to dust so cost really isn't a huge consideration.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Way too much weight. Find an old IZUSU Pup and put that engine in it.

Comment

diesels are overly sensitive stinkers
      isuzu chevette /P'UP diesels were good for 45 hp ?

Comment

Comment

I am curious what it takes to make a diesel.
          gm converted junk for diesel.. the simplest way is making the shaping of piston the chamber, leave the gas heads as is.

Isuzu was a superstar as long as it was s15.
          I did not know chevettes shared them, as those are junk.

Asian and the same motors sitting next to each other, its a real headache. One version is the million mile one..

an odd note on conversion stuff, compression ratio is also an oddity to decipher.

my gas Asian engine was 9.5 to 1 according to them. I deciphered it as some mix up with air amount mixed with fuel, against some curve on static compression (they changed a static number that way)

to my point, I deciphered my project as 10.2 to 1...guess what the max air fuel ratio is before it skips rich.

anyway, just rambling. A diesel can be done. Subaru made a piston the chamber for the diesel boxer.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 22, 2013, 09:04 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I really don't see the big draw to diesels unless you make your living with them. What the conversion would cost you, put it towards gas. There are probably 10 of the 30 most regular of us here that would give there eye teeth for the 5.3
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

math:

I get 12 mpg now

I can get 24 with diesel

Cost to convert is roughly 5-7k

I spend at least 400/m on fuel - so that means in 3 years; it's paid for itself.

There are a couple isuzu diesels that would be worthy candidates; however, none of them are EPA certified - and that's kind of a non-starter because what's the point of making a DD into something that can only be driven off-road.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 22, 2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Didn't they make those for export with diesels in them?

Comment

you would have to hack up the floor for the allison

Comment

Isuzu NPR swap kit here-

This website is for sale! isuzudieselswapper.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, isuzudieselswapper.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

4BT or 6BT are a lot easier to get running from a plumbing and electrical standpoint, but neither of them will drive your CAN-based gauge panel. The Duramax's computer would provide the CAN data to do that, however. They all sound like a heckuva difficult swap to me!
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Okay, so let's really think out of the box

The mechanical would be easy for me - there is more, of course, my wife has a 325xi that she wants better mpg; and this diesel might be the right one for her car

I like the idea of Isuzu, but again, I can't put a 1990s motor in the H3; should I go that far back, I'll find an electric 6.5 turbo-diesel....

Comment

Would putting a small snail, say a 67mm, on the 5.3 not up the mpg? Which trans does it have now? Aren't the H3's based on something else platform?
                          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I thought the Fiat was your gas mileage car. I'm too lazy to look, what will it get?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                              I thought the Fiat was your gas mileage car. I'm too lazy to look, what will it get?
                              but I didn't put a front differential in the Fiat on my build (yeah, I know - what was I thinking?!!), and I don't think they make a gumbo mudder in a 155/60 15 size

Comment

Working...
                              X