No announcement yet.

Air-cooled rotary engine in the trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air-cooled rotary engine in the trunk?

Check this out! A guy built a 5 cylinder air-cooled rotary engine car way back in the day. Sounds like an old aircraft engine to me. That's a pretty neat bit of engineering, if you ask me!

Behold the Adams-Farwell....

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Wow! That is pretty darned slick!
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Saw that at Harrah's, back when. Had some sensible ideas, but scary... It's great they keep it running.

Comment

interesting.

The original bicycle idea makes more sense.. and it does away with offcentric wobble as a modern rotary gets.

if they just build/analyze a 3 main boxer four cyl, they might all feel a bit retarded at how complex they got for self balance with the rotary.

I still like the bicycle idea, or generator driver. Electric motor..

interesting stuff. make it small.

I was just thinking of TC and his post on self sustaining.
        one could put this engine on the end of an electric engine and hide it..
        kinda funny.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 24, 2013, 09:32 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Rotary = radial?
          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
            Rotary = radial?
            Rotary = Radial with stationary crankshaft and rotating crankcase/cylinders.

Comment

Wild. Much quieter than I had thought...It makes me wonder about oiling....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I had thought you guys were talking about this one but that is pretty cool !

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The view from underneath suggested it was a lost-oil system.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                    Most rotaries are 2-stroke. Caster oil mixed into the fuel was the common method of the time.

Comment

Damn pretty amazing........that is some unique engineering
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        Damn pretty amazing........that is some unique engineering
                        x2, and a 4 stroke no less.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very cool. interesting. thanks for the post.
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Must have been awesome to build stuff back then. No rules as to what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately my brain and most others is clouded by what is accepted as the norm or what should or shouldn't work without trying a new theory. I'm not the best "outside the box" thinker either, so that doesn't help.

Great post, thanks and cheers.
                            Steve
                            The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comment

Working...
                            X