Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Motors plans to invest $691 million to expand operations in Mexico

Is this good or bad?

just curious to see how folks feel about decisions such as this.
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Your tax dollars at work, overseas........(technically, not really overseas, but you know what I mean.....) (can you say, "outsourced"??).
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

cheaper than building a fence. We spend our money here, and we get stability. We spend our money in China or Russia we get resurgent enemies.

Would I rather we spend our money here on our citizens? yep but as the evil is a sliding scale, it's better than shopping at walmart.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

how is moving jobs out of country better than shopping at a place that at least employs US citizens? it ain't great pay but it's better than moving manufacturing AND everything else out of country isn't it?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Thank the UAW. They priced themselves out of work. No one is willing to pay for a car built by hundreds of people all making $80hr with full bennies and retirement. Americans are too cheap.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            cheaper than building a fence. We spend our money here, and we get stability. We spend our money in China or Russia we get resurgent enemies.

Would I rather we spend our money here on our citizens? yep but as the evil is a sliding scale, it's better than shopping at walmart.
            Russia is more friend than we know, It may drop bad quality and increase dollar. Two no bullshitters finally in world trade. that is all too new to tell.
            I don't like the taking advantage in places that do not and never have, had a plan to sustain. Cheaping a dollar feeding a plague.

there is some Mexican stories of engines that came about, otherwise impossible.. was that the 70s? they were junk, but at least there was something. I think it was the four main blocks during fuel crunch...ended up Mexican.

I don't like it, but if the abyss don't stop, big gm can do what it wants.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Not real surprising. We complain that American manufacturers are moving to Mexico. Mexicans complain that the jobs are going to China and India.

I agree with Scott on the UAW. In search of a comfortable life thru higher wages (who doesn't want that?), the UAW drove costs thru the roof on car manufacturers to the point that they had to go elsewhere. Otherwise, no one could afford a new car... In general, the move to outsourcing is a product of our own greed.

I have been to both Toluca and Ramos Arizpe (two places where GM is at in Mexico)- lots of manufacturing by names we all know. Especially the big 3.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
                Not real surprising. We complain that American manufacturers are moving to Mexico. Mexicans complain that the jobs are going to China and India.

I agree with Scott on the UAW. In search of a comfortable life thru higher wages (who doesn't want that?), the UAW drove costs thru the roof on car manufacturers to the point that they had to go elsewhere. Otherwise, no one could afford a new car... In general, the move to outsourcing is a product of our own greed.

I have been to both Toluca and Ramos Arizpe (two places where GM is at in Mexico)- lots of manufacturing by names we all know. Especially the big 3.
                sorry not buy'n it, the workers only get payed what g.m. agreed to. they are not making 80 bucks an hours, most are under 20
                stop blaming the unions, turn your eyes to the real problem, the government regs and epa. those cost are the problem. g.m. will build in mexico as their are no epa, no ocha,no unemployment unsurance,workmans comp insurance, and all the other regs that force companys to move across the boarder, and before D/G FLAPS HIS GUMS ABOUT THE imports that snaptogether the parts here, they did that to get past tariffs and years of tax free if they build a factory here. WASHINGTON is the problem.. you can't be part of a global economy when your government regs price you out of the field

Comment

Arlington, Mexico City, what's the difference. Oh yeah, wait... jobs. I wonder what the Mexicans will pay me to cut their yard?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Detroit's a ghost town...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                      Detroit's a ghost town...
                      GM lives there. You would think they should care about the folks who also live there. Is there a way to change this behaviour of our corporations?... I also read earlier this month that Lahood's NHTSA will be 'mandating' automatic emergency braking systems, by the end of the year. Different articles stated that the average increase to the average new car would be $500 all the way to $4000.....

I tend to be a tree hugger, believe it or not....So Emission controls don't bug me terribly, but the lack of driver training and testing of exsisting drivers abilities just shows me that the issue is not about the driver...its about getting around having to deal with the root cause of collisions...the driver. It seems to me that more driver ed/harder license exams would be a cheaper and more effective solution to the issue of 40,000 deaths a year.

ok i'm a little off topic in my own thread... so whats new....ya know anytime you add a new system to a new car you have the opportunity to make a profit off of those systems...

i am so frustrated that what appear to be simple changes to help our own economy are not considered important enough to implement. the public is simply a food $ource for big business. i think i'd like to be eaten, but not this way
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

In light of moving jobs outside the Country I found it interesting the story of the CEO being held in Beijing because the factory workers there are worried they won't get their pacakges when the company moves to India.

So to me the chinese were more than happy decades ago to take "our" jobs and work for peanuts but is it now coming full circle for them too? They actually take their CEO hostage because now their jobs are going to India? It will be only a matter of time before Indian workers want to be treated right too. Then where wil companys go for cheap labor and zero EPA regulations...
                        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                          It seems to me that more driver ed/harder license exams would be a cheaper and more effective solution to the issue of 40,000 deaths a year.
                          Hit the nail right on the head. I'd like some of our Nordic friends to weigh in on what the driving tests are like, what the regs are like, etc. Simply put, our driving tests are worthless and there are way too many idiots out on the road. As well as way too many people concerned with other people not dying.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

If one hand is worried about over population, and the other is for lowering the death rate. what does the brain think?

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                              Hit the nail right on the head. I'd like some of our Nordic friends to weigh in on what the driving tests are like, what the regs are like, etc. Simply put, our driving tests are worthless and there are way too many idiots out on the road. As well as way too many people concerned with other people not dying.
                              This is especially topical for me, as I'm taking my oldest to driver's ed on Monday. As soon as he's done and has his license, we'll be at the track for an advanced young driver training program.

Our national obsession with claiming privileges as "rights", coupled with the national sport of avoiding all personal responsibility has gotten us here.

<rant off> <hijack off>
                              "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                              X