Trailer carrying Corvettes damages one after getting stuck in vaiduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer carrying Corvettes damages one after getting stuck in vaiduct

A story from CorvetteBlogger.com reports that a truck carrying four Corvettes to the Bloomington Gold Show in Champaign, Illinois, got stuck in a viaduct on Monday.

The site says that the roads were closed for several hours to clean up the site of the accident. Though no one was injured, one Corvette was reported damaged.

Today is the start of registration for the the Bloomington Gold event, which will feature more than 3,500 Corvettes, including a display of the new C7 Corvette Stingray. The event is expected to draw around 35,000 visitors and will be open to the public starting Friday.

Photos: CorvetteBlogger.com

ouch.

one dumb driver.
    My dad and I hit a bridge at speed in the 1980s, but it was highway, and a container/chassis mismatch (beyond our engineering).
    14 foot something. We thought it looked goofy, but those guys had several hundred rigs lined up waiting.

you should hear the sound of one of those containers smacking a bridge at 70mph. All steel.

KabooOoOooooOOoooOoooOoooOOOOooOOOOOOOoooOOom.

it was so loud cars in front of us were pulling over.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 27, 2013, 11:06 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ooops. And that doesn't look like it was carrying new and easily replaced Corvette's, so that doubly sucks.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Little Rock - June 3rd. - not so Swift transportation here -

Phil / Omaha

Comment

That would've never happened had there been a huge, maybe a very bright yellow sign somewhere in plain view of the truck driver. Oh, never mind, driver doesn't speak or READ English
          STUGOTS

Comment

we had one around here plow into the bridge right after the city repaved the road, that 6" of asphalt changed what the sign read in height . oops
            I was lol'n when the rig owner took out a tape measure to show the cop he wasn't in the wrong.. look officer it fit 2 weeks ago.. pulled out a tape and told the cop what does that say?
            city planner gotta love um.
            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 27, 2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              Ooops. And that doesn't look like it was carrying new and easily replaced Corvette's, so that doubly sucks.
              License plate implies its one of the 53 ZR1's

Comment

Yeah, that happened here locally and made the local headlines, there are probably 3 overpasses like that in town that a 12'6" Bus or truck won't pass under. I'm guessing the Driver was halfway lost because the Auction is at the Assembly Hall on Florida/Kirby and that has a taller underpass that the truck would have easily cleared?
                sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Oopsie Daisy?
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That Swift thing looks "funny." I'dda guessed he could clear at 14-0. And that's an intersection - any way he was turning left and had it leaning like stunt guy and got wedged that way?

But I always like the worn-out truckers' punchline - "Well, Officer, see..I was delivering this bridge and I ran out of gas RIGHT here."
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

hey look... a parts car

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                        Little Rock - June 3rd. - not so Swift transportation here -
                        Was he transporting Corvettes also?
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Oh look, a not-so-Swift driver

when I worked for Coca Cola - the swift drivers were amazing in their ways of screwing things up.... and we had a picture framed on the wall in our plant where a Swift truck got caught in the landslide in Dodson (Columbia River Gorge ~1999).... caption was "swift, it's just a name"

I still remember, though, the look of the driver when I told him his life sucked - he'd managed to upend an entire trailer full of diet sprite - probably by hitting a curb.... it'd have taken a great deal to have shifted the entire load - but he won't tell us what he actually did (claimed it just fell over.... haha)..... he wanted me to help him unload it (lol)... uh no, I won't be taking responsibility for what you did. He spent the next 3 days repalletizing the product; sorting damaged from undamaged. Amazingly, he saved about 1/2 the load, but he touched every can.... (a pallet is 96 cases - 24 cans - , a truck load is 20 pallets)
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 27, 2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Swift= See What I F'd up Today!
                            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                              Swift= See What I F'd up Today!

Comment

Working...
                              X