? For your guys in the Southwest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? For your guys in the Southwest...

Since I know there are some guys on here that live in or have lived in the Southwest, I was wondering how the weather is in the Grand Canyon area in December? I'm getting married this December and we are considering going to the Grand Canyon to get into an area with better weather than here (PA). I have been to New Mexico in September and Utah in June, but I've never been out that way in the winter.
    Still plays with trucks....

It's about 8000 ft elevation, so yeah it gets cold in winter. Not like PA cold, but there are the occasional storms that could mess things up.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Good to know, thanks Jim.

Comment

Had to buy chains the last time I was up there in December. Fluke storm. First time that happened. Could also be the 3 season tires I had on the car. Spend most of my time in metro Phoenix.

Comment

I found snow in some shaded areas around Flagstaff in February.

Comment

The north side of the grand canyon is at 8000 feet and subject to more snow and cold than the south side. The south side is about 7000 feet, more accessible and better climate. Of course you can still get snow there in December. Its winter after all. You are lucky if you get some light snow while you are there as it makes everything white and beautiful. (driving can be a pain of course). Some other places to visit in the winter if you want some winter scenery but not back east cold would be Zion or Bryce National Parks in Utah and don't forget the beautiful Yosemite National Park here in California! Congrats!
            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Thanks man. Was planning to do Zion while we were there, but I've never been to Yosemite. I don't mind a little snow, but I was hoping that we could do a little hiking there if it's not bitter cold. December is usually pretty cold and dreary here, so it will be nice to be somewhere with at least a little warmer weather. I just love that area. Been wanting to go back for years. Last time I was out there was 2007.

Comment

It depends. I took Haley out there when she first visited AZ, we had gotten a freak storm in Prescott that dumped a foot or more, but driving after two days wasn't too bad. Just have to mind the ice near the tourist areas...it gets so trampled that it becomes sheet ice and you're all but guaranteed to bust your ass. That being said, seeing the Canyon covered in snow is beautiful, I think your timing is good, and best of luck to you two!
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Aint nothing I can ^^^ what they said..
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to it. Hey, even if the weather sucks it will still be an awesome trip. She's a keeper, here she is running my '79 F350 at the local sled pull this past weekedn. She won her class too!

Click image for larger version

Name:	chels in 79 ford.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	870872

Comment

Working...
                    X