Name:	FERD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	870968
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Dinner, lunch and supper

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      How about the usage of dinner or supper for the evening meal?
      It's simple . . . Dinner is the largest, most formal non-breakfast meal. It can be either at noon or in the evening.

Application: If dinner is in the evening, the smaller noon meal is lunch.

If dinner is the mid-day meal, then the smaller evening meal is supper.

Theoretically, two large meals of equal size and/or formality on the same day could be dinners, while two smallish meals of equal size and informality could possibly be referred to as lunch and supper, without referencing any dinner for the day. The better usage would be to always call the largest, most formal meal dinner, though.

Any other use of these terms is imprecision based on profound ignorance of or indifference to the English language.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        How about the usage of dinner or supper for the evening meal?

How about yankee dime for a kiss on the cheek?

Acting up or acting out?
        thought for a mealtime down south they just rang a bell.. or is that just W.V.

Comment

Hoedon minnt, gawteh git sum fixins, mokes ann baar..

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
            It's simple . . . Dinner is the largest, most formal non-breakfast meal. It can be either at noon or in the evening.

Theoretically, two large meals of equal size and/or formality on the same day could be dinners, while two smallish meals of equal size and informality could possibly be referred to as lunch and supper, without referencing any dinner for the day. The better usage would be to always call the largest, most formal meal dinner, though.

Any other use of these terms is imprecision based on profound ignorance of or indifference to the English language.
            Alrighty then, once again you prove the saying opinions are like assholes...
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally Posted by The Outsider

Alrighty then, once again you prove the saying opinions are like assholes...

OUCH!!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                I too, beg to differ on the declaration above. If imprecision is disallowed, there would be no people in the whole world.

And on the more specific terms of local dialect, let's examine the word, "Venchly."

Exactly how much time will it take to do something or to be somewhere venchly? And is "directly" a longer or shorter period of time than venchly? I'll be there directly, and venchly I'll clean up that back lot where the kudzu has covered up that parts car I'm saving for "later."
                Last edited by pdub; July 3, 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I had a step mother that was always "fixin' to". Fixin' to go to the store, fixin' to cook dinner, fixin' to clean house.

Old man never caught on that she was fixin' to clean out the house while he was at work.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                    Hoedon minnt, gawteh git sum fixins, mokes ann baar..

Where's the bait special?
                    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post
                      Where's the bait special?
                      They be fixin' to put that on the sign next.
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                        They be fixin' to put that on the sign next.
                        And don't forget the ammo.

"Ammo go git me wunna dem catfish dinners at d beer store."

Comment

OK, so some relative terms here......we call woven cloth bags filled with cattle feed, among other things, 'gunny sacks'. I think most in the South call them 'burlap bags'.....or 'tote sacks'.......others out there??
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            OK, so some relative terms here......we call woven cloth bags filled with cattle feed, among other things, 'gunny sacks'. I think most in the South call them 'burlap bags'.....or 'tote sacks'.......others out there??
                            picksack

in Chicago a couch is a davenport or divan, a porch is a stoop, and there ain't no such thing as a fire ant
                            Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd View Post
                              picksack

in Chicago a couch is a davenport or divan, a porch is a stoop, and there ain't no such thing as a fire ant
                              I think you mean "Far Aint". That's in Maxton (100 miles inland). The Wilmington accent is more genteel, sort of like Savannah.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X