Impractically low and leaky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impractically low and leaky.

Drove the AMX to Myrtle Beach yesterday and back this morning, first decently long trip in her. Now down here, it rains, a lot, and really hard when it does, this time of year. Couldn't see more than 15 feet in front of me, and I found out everything leaks. EVERYTHING. Freaking sunroof, drivers side window doesn't line up every time. Hatch leaks, somehow I saw water coming out of the screw on the trim of the passenger side A-Pillar....
    The previous owner told me nothing leaked.
    On another note, I found out how really low she is, my brother and I went and saw World War Z, and parked next to a Z06, lower than even a Z06. Scraped on the trip home today coming off a bridge.
    I love how she looks low, but this is just impractical.
    I wish somebody made proper lowering springs for her though, I think mine were just cut, because they aren't very stiff.
    Also found a spot of rust on the undercarriage by the passenger seat, argh.
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Bummer on the leaks. Any place you can even buy new seals for it? On the springs, I think if you cut coils they get stiffer. Unless you did it with a torch. then ya they could loss their temper.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

if the springs were cut, they'd be stiffer, bet they've been heated. It's part of having an old car.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

you got some chores ahead.

I hope it was lowered for being a sport car, and not a creaking body.
        I remember those eagles.

My 80s Subaru is stereotypically much worse.
        mine never leaked ..crazy metal paint, something.
        freak history of individual automobiles. Never know what ya got until owning for awhile.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Hey did you hear that? A 30 year old sunroof that leaks. The hell you say!!

Dude, my Impala leaked since I bought it.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

"I love how she looks low, but this is just impractical."

Eagle, did that just come out of YOU?

WHOA, .....shut up peewee, just shut up!

Eagle, check yourself for gray hairs, it happens sooner than you think. The moment of awakening and the gray hair happens at just about the same time. Trust me on this one.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              "I love how she looks low, but this is just impractical."

Eagle, did that just come out of YOU?

WHOA, .....shut up peewee, just shut up!

Eagle, check yourself for gray hairs, it happens sooner than you think. The moment of awakening and the gray hair happens at just about the same time. Trust me on this one.

Well I have been driving an Eagle for the past 6 years, I got used to ground clearance. I'd like to go over speed bumps without knocking off a chunk of my headers

Comment

check http://performance-suspension.eibach.com/ they make springs for just about everything BUT im sure they dont make them for an AMC - BUT if you have the specs of your springs - I.D. , O.D. , Length ect ect they may have a replacement to match your specs
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Well, if I keep her for a while, I'm going all out, though, this would be in a couple years, so I'm just going to put stock springs back in first

Now nobody makes an independent rear for them yet, however I'm going to see if I can modify an MN12 or Mustang Cobra IRS to her

It's nice to dream

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                    Now nobody makes an independent rear for them yet,
                    And probably won't for awhile, if ever.
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I bet the windsheild is leaking too.Thats why you saw water by the a pillar screw. Get some talc powder and put it around the outside of the wind sheild then get some compressed air and blow it from the inside around the perimeter of the glass .Where it puffs you have found your leak.

Comment

Detroit/Eaton has every spring ever made going back to the Model T. They arent expensive, between $75-100 pr. Price of owning a muscle car with full length headers. So, no bouncing over speed bumps at 60 mph like you do in your Eagle.

Not sure if your AMC has a Mopar style windshield with a rubber seal that goes all the way around it. Or, if GM style where its just glued into a channel. Hopefully, your sunroof seal is a generic one, or made aftermarket now. For now, go to the hardware store and buy a roll of black duct tape. If you cant fix it, duct it.
                        Last edited by Scott Liggett; June 30, 2013, 05:38 PM.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I second the Detroit/Eaton idea. Those guys know their stuff, are friendly, and very reasonable cost. Quick turnaround time too.

Give them a call, you'll be glad you did.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

This reminds me, I need to order the 1" spring spacers for the Skylark and hopefully gain the 2" lift I'm told. Dang scatter shield and right side exhaust down pipe rub things more often than I like.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Eagle,
                              On the AMC forum is a thread for lowering plates.
                              The spindle comes off the upright and you put a plate with holes to lower the
                              car. You can use stock springs and still lower it.
                              Nick
                              73 Gremlin
                              62 Classic wagon
                              Last edited by nickleone; July 1, 2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X