Constructive criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive criticism

First a technical issue. Lately, I'm having a harder time watching the videos in full. Often they'll only play to a certain point and stop. No amount of time will allow the last part of the video to come through. Typically, I have to go back and re-click "watch the video" a few times to make it to the end. I don't know if the problem is on your end or mine, but it's a problem I'm having that I didn't have before.

More importantly, I've found the last few videos less than interesting.

The Spring Fling barely held my attention. I would have liked more technical information on the participating cars. When ever I go to an event I pick out the cars that I like and talk to the owners about the specifics of the cars. I'd like to see more of that here. The cruise didn't do anything for me. The show and swap meet coverage was better, but again, I want to know specific details on the cooler cars in attendance. The cruise, to me, was terrible. Again, no technical info. I outgrew burnouts in parking lots in high school. I am strongly of the opinion that the only reason to do a burnout is to heat the slicks. Brake stands on radials are just lame.

The Chevelle on track was better, but it didn't look like you guys were pushing the car all that hard. Maybe you were but it didn't come across to me. Other than Chad going off course, it seemed like the footage from outside the car was essentially posing for the camera. Also, while I appreciate the specifics on the air ride failure, I think too much time was devoted to it. I would have liked to see footage of a complete lap with commentary.

I was really looking forward to the Lemons build up as I'm planning on doing the TX event, but again was disappointed. Three minutes of breaking glass, but zero info on building the cage, no alignment specs, no interesting interpretations of rules...

I'm getting the feeling that this site is getting less tech oriented and more about watching guys do silly things with cars. I'm getting the same vibe off of the boards. It seems some of the more hard core guys make less of an appearance than they used to.

While this is aimed at Chad and Dave all comments are welcome, so fire away.

Re: Constructive criticism

I recently made a thread that's kind of the opposite of this ;D. I do get what you're saying, though... although I haven't been having the same troubles loading the site as you.

Some of the content is kinda like "Car Craft magazine with a video camera" (which I have no problem with). The only major thing I would like to see is some hardcore tech theory, like the stuff that Vizzard used to write. I love learning the principles behind power and speed just as much as the how-to's of wrenching. This site has a lot of potential and room to grow.... keep the faith, it's just the beginning

Comment

I will politely disagree....I think this site is about encapsulating the Hot Rod culture....And making it available to everyone.

The Installation video on the AirRide System was very informative....And added the realism of what actually occurs when the average guy tries to do projects like this in his garage....

As far as the Crew Cab Chevelle being slow....Well....a tired old 283 and powerglide are not the preferred drivetrain for a road racer....And the car is meant as a cruiser....Not a race car...

Now on the burnouts.....I never "tire" of them ;) ....Everybody loves a burnout....

It is meant to be entertaining while being informative....If you only do dry tech articles....It would be less gooder ;D ;D ;D

I personally love the direction the site is headed....

BUT....I have had issues with the end of the videos loading lately....

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Come on guys... to me it's been fun... everything they've done I want to be there doing... and that's exactly the point to me...

More technical? hmm Sure... but mostly because I understand the true depth of Freiburger's knowledge and Chad's ability with EFI.. Trust me we'll get more Tech as we go along... but at the same time... cut them a bit of Slack... they are having fun.... join in and enjoy the fray... ( join in here a bit more ... )

Keith

Comment

I like everything that's been done so far-nothing wrong with a good laugh. Like Keith said-I wish it was me doing it. And I also would like to see some way in depth tech, and I'm sure we will. Keep doing what you're doing, and more. 8)

Comment

I'm slow - I read your post. I figured I'd start my own with a differing opinion.

I liked the air ride install video. I'm not commenting on the Chevelle being slow. I just didn't get the impression it was being driven hard.

Keith - I'm not trying to give them a hard time. Like I said constructive criticism...

I figure at the beginning they're trying to hone in on what direction to go. I've seen a number of people raving about the current content and it's just not doing it for me, so I figured I'd post my opinion.

Comment

Points taken. Your comments have some merit, but "I outgrew burnouts in the high school parking lot"? Jeez, I gotta draw the line there. You don't enjoy dropping the hammer once in a while when nobody is around?

That's almost un-American! ;D

Comment

Constructive criticism is good, especially for a new site like this...but keep the burnouts please. :D

Comment

vt - it's the standing on the brakes in a puddle to smoke the radials that I don't like. Any car can do it. I don't see the point.

I knew nobody'd agree on that point, it's all just my opinion.

Comment

I agree, no water please.

Comment

We love the constructive criticism, and I don't hate you for it. We are doing all kinds of things with all kinds of vehicles and the tech will be in depth sometimes and lighter at other times.

As far as pushing the crew cab goes, I could have run a couple seconds (maybe 2 or 3) with more laps in the car, but we were pushing it hard. It has a 265.3125 cubic inch 283 in it (it only runs on 7.5 cylinders) and a glide with 3.08s. Trust me when I tell you, I don't do much at 9/10. And I know from previously track days with Rusty that even a seasoned road racer can't get my car to go faster so I must be okay on the twisties.

We were on the dyno all day today and will be for the next couple of days with a couple different engines. Plus, stay tuned for several new engine builds that will go from mild to wild over time. I know some folks have questioned the merit of the Crusher Camaro running low 12's with the wrong converter and a small block, but keep in mind it's a stone stock GM crate motor with a cam that runs on 91 octane and costs next to nothing to duplicate. Hell it came out of Freiburger's daily driver Suburban.

Keep the comments coming, and tell us what you want to see. And don't be afraid to be specific. We want to hear it. And thanks to all the people responding to this post for not bashing btp76 for throwing out his opinions. We're all into different strokes and different cars, and CarJunkieTV is the home for all of you.

Thanks again!

As far as burnouts go. I like tire smoke. You don't have to. I drag race seriously, and I like to do burnouts on the street too.
                      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I don't think I have ever done a burn out, whether it be on the street or at the strip. That didnt put a grin on my face from ear to ear.

Comment

Originally posted by btp76
                          vt - it's the standing on the brakes in a puddle to smoke the radials that I don't like. Any car can do it. I don't see the point.

I knew nobody'd agree on that point, it's all just my opinion.
                          I agree-no water! We should all aspire to Blackout Steve's awesomeness! ;D

Comment

Burnouts are cool at the right time. and really Cool at the Wrong time. Like the Wife sitting in the Car next to you. Right or Wrong its still Cool.

Comment

I'll forever regret that this burnout was so lame....oh well....

<------------------------------------

that's life! at least it got in the magazine
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X