Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're Home! Deaf Bob and Other Stuff......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Home! Deaf Bob and Other Stuff......

Yep, we're home. While we enjoyed almost a month on the road and we failed to pick up any "passengers" at the many motels, it was great to sleep in our own bed last night.

The basic route:

- Wilmington to Wilmington (OH) for the ECTA meet.
    - Wilmington OH to DeSmet SD for a full-immersion Little House on the Prairie experience (Grand daughters are wonderful).
    - DeSmet to Corvallis OR (motel) and then to Newport OR (seacoast) to visit Cousin Marion (great lady).
    - Oregon to Oroville CA for ME family history review.
    - Oroville to Sacremento CA to visit more of ME's family (also great folks).
    - On to Oakland CA to visit our Chinese buddy Ge (pronounced Grrrrr) who moved there recently from Ann Arbor, MI.
    - Oakland to Denver, CO to visit ME's almost-94-year-old Aunt Maxine. She's doing well but is slowing down a little (she has a right!).
    - High-tailed it home from Denver on I-70, I-75, I40.

All in all a great trip and we still like each other.

While in Corvallis I hooked up with Deaf Bob for dinner. DB had some vehicular challenges so it took a couple of trys but we did finally connect at an Elmer's Restaurant. Bob is a great guy and his communication skills are amazing. He does, however, look like Santa. Not that that's a bad thing!

I was able to show ME Wendover Utah/ West Wendover Nevada, the scene of my Bonneville adventures. When the track is not running there isn't much there but it was fun. Had a great Mexican dinner at the spot where the locals eat.

On the last leg we stopped in Waynesville, NC to say HI! to David (Rack4U on here) and we test-fit the Avanti for alternate drivers. The engine/trans is in the hole but there's a lot more to be done. We both decided to skip the July ECTA meet and hopefully hit 'er hard in September.

Great trip and it's good to be home!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; July 2, 2013, 01:09 PM.

Way to go Dan! Great trip. Good report.

And we didn't talk about you at all while you were away. Not a bit.

You gonna be back at Wilmington this weekend?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Not this meet. I'm kinda traveled out, the Avanti won't be ready, and neither will the S-10. So it's time to work on our junk and see what we can get ready for September. Besides, I'm off again for Wendover/Bonneville in August.

Dan

Comment

[QUOTE=DanStokes;783123
        Had a great Mexican dinner at the spot where the locals eat. Dan[/QUOTE]

Garlic and Onions? I'll be eatin' there in August.

See you in impound!

vic
        vic NASCARland

Comment

Sounds like you had a great time Dan. Cool you got to meet Deaf Bob. Wilmington's 4hrs south of me (I'm 1/4 mile from Lake Erie) I'll see if I can talk my buddy into driving down for the Sept meet & meet all you motorheads!

Comment

Shoulda let me know you were gonna be in Denver ... I'd a taken you for a ride in the chevelle!
            Last edited by Bamfster; July 3, 2013, 05:48 AM.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Glad you had a good time and welcome back.
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

If you ran I-70 east of Indy to I-75, you were about 30 miles south of me. If you stopped by I could have give you some iced tea and a sandwich.

Comment

Got an Email from Dan a couple hours ago.. In middle of building.. Got to DRIVE the car!
                  Dan's a great guy.. I think I miss his one liners...

Comment

That's Dan - Mister Completely.

Welcome Back Dan!
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
                      Shoulda let me know you were gonna be in Denver ... I'd a taken you for a ride in the chevelle!
                      Maybe next time, Bam. We pretty much focused on Aunt Maxine - we are worried that this may be our last time to see her - she's an old gal. But then, she may outlive us all and she IS doing pretty well, considering. BTW - we were mostly in Arvada though we did get to Domo for lunch.

Thanks all you guys. It was a great trip but I did miss y'all.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; July 3, 2013, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Wendover; I'll never forget getting a flat tire on my truck about 10-15 miles east on the Flats, no spare of course. Limped into the rest area, caught a ride into town with a guy from Worland WY, who started giving me stuff like gas cans and CB radios, guess he had brought it to pawn and feed his gambeling habit? Anyway, tires in pickup sizes seemed to bring about twice there what I would have expected to pay anywhere else. Was towing a Demo Derby car home to OR, from SD, never did run that car, but that's another long story.
                        Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to meeting DeafBob in person sometime in the future myself.
                        Last edited by WEL56L; July 6, 2013, 08:38 AM.

Comment

And I, you, Wayne.. You sure live far from OR now!

Comment

Working...
                          X