Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult are states to do with over switched chassis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How difficult are states to do with over switched chassis?

I've got a chance to pick up a old chevy truck that had a 4WD chassis installed under the body at least a decade or two ago, the previous owners have never had any problems with getting it licensed and insured over the years, and if I didn't know the difference between a C and a K prefix in the VIN, I never would have noticed it wasn't an original 4wd. Do police generally look for this stuff? Is there any sort of grandfather clause? Would it be best to send off for one of those Alabama "bill of sale titles" and then just try and get the two combined at my DMV? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them?
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

I have never had anybody in law enforcement look at the frame number. They look at the Vin tag. I wouldn't worry about it, Just make sure that it is not stolen.
    Never ask the government for anything, you just might get it.
    Last edited by Hemi Joel; July 2, 2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

easy in NYS

Comment

CHP looks at the frame numbers and secondary vins anytime anyone buys an out of state car and wants to register it in california with the exception of buying a new car out of state. Not only that, if you do not have receipts for all the major parts when building a salvage vehicle (which is what this one would be) they will seize the vehicle. No receipts, no car. Major car components are worth more than the car and therefore are big theft items.
        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

depends on the state. if there are two different VINs on one vehicle, then you can have serious troubles if law enforcement happens to notice.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

In KY any out of state registration gets inspected which means a sheriff's deputy makes sure that the vin on the title matches the vin on the vehicle. Never had one look at the frame either, takes 90 seconds to walk out, look at the paper, look at the vin, sign the page and out the door.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I personally have had cars ripped apart more than once by not so friendly law enforcement. It's possible it could be matter of what you're doing at the time of getting pulled over.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                depends on the state. if there are two different VINs on one vehicle, then you can have serious troubles if law enforcement happens to notice.
                body on frame is like a cop car, they can do anything to restore.

the vin most convenient is the vin.

cars that are unibody, mustang, even my little sube, I could have any underpinnings to make it work. IRS from corvette to infiniti/lexus, blah blah.

There is rules for an owners sake, like maine has antique and custom separate. I choose antique, that means resemble factory function/engine, with whatever went extinct being a close match equal or stronger.

Some have no common sense there, but I just keep going to another garage until it is found.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

here, if it's an out of state vehicle without a title, they will look it over.. ,if it was titled no they don't.

Comment

I don't think Texas really cares. Chad can tell you what it took to register Rusty here - it's on one of those whale sized Caprice chassis I believe. I'd use the vin tag on the body for registration and not sweat it, but I'd want at least a bill of sale on the donor chassis on hand in case the wrong kind of questions started getting asked.

Texas doesn't seem to care much about antiques, it's the 2004 Camry they want to know about (most stolen type car) They did look over a couple of the vin stickers on my 90 Mustang's door and fenders one time and gave up on that pretty quick. It is a virgin, no replacement anything. I know guys who had patchwork Mustangs and they've been run through the ringer, checking every VIN on the car for stolen parts.

I suppose it depends on how you act to them as well, but the titling and licensing / registration is pretty normal if you have a clear title on it. If it's worth a metric shit ton of money, they may get more interested. If it's a 4000.00 truck, they really don't seem to care.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

this site is your friend

Most states don't care if the car is reconstructed (that's the term you're looking for), as long as none of the VINs come back as stolen. If it does, they'll take the entire car. (general rule, YMMV)

If the car is reconstructed, you'll have extra hoops to jump through to prove it's roadworthy.

In Washington, you can bond a title - you get a provisional title and as long as no one says "that's my car" within 3 years - the VIN and title unify in your name.... it's a real PITA, but since you can't even scrap a car without its VIN; it at least gives some people an out beside cutting the car into small bits
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                      X