Appearance is EVERYTHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance is EVERYTHING

To go ahead of the story, we've got new next door neighbors and I just a little while ago knocked on the door and introduced myself to the man of the house and welcomed him (them) to the neighborhood.

He's a young guy, maybe 30's, they've got maybe 30 kids from what I could see this evening, all is well. Just wanted to say hey, the neighborly thing to do. All is well. Just know I had a neighborly conversation with him. We don't have anything in common obviously, I was just saying hey and all went well.

What's actually happening over there is, they're having a birthday pool party for one of their kids and there's about as many cars over there as there was for the BS party at our house. Lots of kids and parents.

Here's the story - It's pouring down rain over here. Washed all of my rocks out into the street again. I'm out there in shorts and a tee shirt and I've got a wheel barrow and a shovel and a broom and got mud and stuff all over me playing with rocks.

A lady pulled into the driveway next door. I'd never met any of them so I figured it was the wife-mom, the home owners. From a hundred feet away I hollered, "Hey, how y'all DOIN?"

She took a long look at me, and snorted like a bull moose. She broke our stare and went straight into the house.

That was a visiting mom of one or some of the kids coming to the birthday pool party. She thought some grungy hired help lawn worker was trying to hit on her.

Yep.

But in any case, you can't pick your neighbors. You sure can't.
    Last edited by pdub; July 3, 2013, 06:07 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I agree, picking neighbors is out where I am too.

I may pick a continent and go there instead.

There is a phish concert climbing in the window. In a different life, that is my age group.
    They were here in the early 90s, I was 22. No interest.

That is my neighbor for this evening.
    I am finishing weld on the mythological cross country boxer powered buggy, maybe I'll just let mey hair grow, wander out listening to the grateful dead. A nomad of modern times.

No interest in phish at all. Weirdos.
    driving through with my dad, no sign of hippies anywhere as we remember them. No pot fests in public light.
    It does sound good live. Some funky sounds gaining a natural echo.

Not worth my rent money, which is supposed to have electricity included.
    No choice on landlords either. Old school fat slobs, just getting fatter.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 3, 2013, 06:35 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Place next door's for sale.. I'm last on a dead end street.. Car putters at 15 mph all half mile of the street.. Sees the sign.. whammm on the brakes..middle of the street, I got less than 100' to my driveway.. They sit there pointing it out chatting away.. My horn's disconnected... Finially they see me on their bumper and move.. My ice cream's half melted!
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 3, 2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Place next door's for sale.. I'm last on a dead end street.. Car putters at 15 mph all half mile of the street.. Sees the sign.. whammm on the brakes..middle of the street, I got less than 100' to my driveway.. They sit there pointing it out chatting away.. My horn's disconnected... Finially they see me on their bumper and move.. My ice cream's half melted!
        I dunno Bob, I think I did the right thing, going next door to say hey. Isn't that the human thing to do? It didn't go bad at all. I just don't think it accomplished a thing.

I guess it's a modern thing - this is OUR house, (and it is) and we're here (and they are) so why are you annoying us? The young guy didn't even look at me during our conversation on his front porch. Brown eyes. Looking all around and past me, scanning for more intruders on the street, too busy to talk directly to me. I bothered him being there. No time for peewee, got more important things going on.

Our neighbors. Ahhite then. Whatever. I tried.

30-somethings. Seem to got no use for 50-somethings. But I'dda thought everybody needs a neighbor, at the least, if not a friend, in a new situation. I guess not. No, obviously not. I reckon I've got a lot I don't want to learn about young folks. Whatever. Whatever.

I hope they don't need a cup of sugar for a recipe at 3 in the morning. They just as might as well call 911 for that. I tried.

Seems a shame.

Comment

My new guys moved in next door, I think the first thing they heard me say was from my back yard and it went something like "AGAIN WITH THE G* DAMNED DOGS?" which I didn't know they were out or I might not have said so loud. I probably would have, I said it loud enough for them to hear it inside.... didn't know they were on the back patio. Oooops. They took the dogs in. We don't talk a lot. They put the dogs up when they hear me outside. Oh well.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Ok, PDub... I know how these online veiled confessions go. I don't need to square up a protractor to see where you are going here. So, go ahead and say, did you bang her?
            -dulcich

Comment

LOL dulcich

Lived here at the Sabo estate for 14 yrs. The great next door neighbors moved out and rented to young couple with preschool boys. Perfect, they play great with my youngest girl. Other next door neighbor is cool too, just do not talk to much to them. Others on the street, we say Hi, but that is about it.
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

My neighbors shoot at each other. I just wish they were better shots.

In the 9 years I have lived here, within 2 blocks of my home, there have been no fewer than 12 shootings, only one of them fatal.
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                  My neighbors shoot at each other. I just wish they were better shots.

In the 9 years I have lived here, within 2 blocks of my home, there have been no fewer than 12 shootings, only one of them fatal.
                  DAYum Ron.

Okay, we've got it good. Ward Cleaver Mayfield High good. REAL good.

Comment

Freakin neighbors.

New folks on the block, in the country. Our damn dogs got out and pestered their chickens. Gentleman of the house shot one of the dogs, which was within his rights. I told him that he needed to practice his marksmanship, as his lousy shooting cost me $2,000 in vet bills.

(now don't go get in an uproar, dog got shot in the foot)
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      She took a long look at me, and snorted like a bull moose. She broke our stare and went straight into the house.

That was a visiting mom of one or some of the kids coming to the birthday pool party. She thought some grungy hired help lawn worker was trying to hit on her.

Yep.

She should be so lucky!

btw why don't you mix a little ce-ment in with them rocks this time?
                      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 5, 2013, 09:47 AM.
                      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                      X