Floor Mat Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Mat Regulations

When you run in an SCCA autocross event, during tech inspection they look to make sure there's nothing in the trunk. And they want everything loose out of the inside of the car and make real sure the battery is secure. The battery being secure is a real big deal to them. Red's wasn't, I had to fix it.

Superman found out two autocross meets ago they want all the floor mats out of the car, too. Not a factor with Red, he doesn't have any.

I'll re-remember again tomorrow how rigorous the ECTA tech inspection is, and all I know is to not show up at the start line loaded down like Dan Stokes did.

So I pose the query to the BS board of racing authorities, because all regs are based on some past incident, what's up with taking out the floor mats? Who was ever injured (or worse) by a floor mat?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

In extreme cornering, braking and acceleration, floor mats tend to move around. Sometimes, they get wadded up under the accelerator pedal or the brake pedal and can lead to some nasty interference with the operation of the vehicle.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      When you run in an SCCA autocross event, during tech inspection they look to make sure there's nothing in the trunk. And they want everything loose out of the inside of the car and make real sure the battery is secure. The battery being secure is a real big deal to them. Red's wasn't, I had to fix it.

Superman found out two autocross meets ago they want all the floor mats out of the car, too. Not a factor with Red, he doesn't have any.

I'll re-remember again tomorrow how rigorous the ECTA tech inspection is, and all I know is to not show up at the start line loaded down like Dan Stokes did.

So I pose the query to the BS board of racing authorities, because all regs are based on some past incident, what's up with taking out the floor mats? Who was ever injured (or worse) by a floor mat?
      Pee Dub,
      Please don't scoff safety! Those floor mats are dangerous weapons at speed. They can kill. I've seen it and hope you never experience it. On edge with enough force limbs can be severed. Be careful, if not for you, for the ones you love.
      -dulcich
      Last edited by dulcich; July 4, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

A good buddy of mine served in the CHP from 67 through 81. One night over a bottle of scotch swapping stories from back in the day he started sobbing while telling me about an accident scene where a guy in a 428 Cougar lost control at 140 mph and he found the poor bastards severed head half a mile down the road. Poor SOB had just put in those old Yosemite Sam rubber floormats and paid the price. NEVER take safety for granted!
        -dulcich
        Last edited by dulcich; July 4, 2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

dubz....

Never mind what I said. I think dulcich summed it up better than I did.

Carry on.
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
            A good buddy of mine served in the CHP from 67 through 81. One night over a bottle of scotch swapping stories from back in the day he started sobbing while telling me about an accident scene where a guy in a 428 Cougar lost control at 140 mph and he found the poor bastards severed head half a mile down the road. Poor SOB had just put in those old Yosemite Sam rubber floormats and paid the price. NEVER take safety for granted!
            -dulcich
            The old rubber floor mats are the worse.......especially if you're shifting gears.
            I can tell you from first hand experience.

If I'm doing any kind of racing........floor mats are coming out.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Matt and I are staged here at Weeville and we've had lots of beer and shot lots of bad pool. We're going to Ohio in the morning to enjoy the festivities at The Mile...

I don't think I asked my original question correctly. I was more wondering about the passenger side floor mat, and the two passenger floor mats in the back of the car - why do you have to take those out?

We'll be back online late Monday to cause more trouble on BS, but in the meantime, I'm told I AM THE KING OF BANGSHIFT. I heard that from a reliable source.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

even with tiny pedals, Japanese version, I have skipped right by a pedal, grabbed the mat with my heel., pulled it back out to stick on the gas.

WTF are the odds?!

I don't know how how I do that yet. I have since bent gas pedal upward, and no factory mats
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  Matt and I are staged here at Weeville and we've had lots of beer and shot lots of bad pool. We're going to Ohio in the morning to enjoy the festivities at The Mile...

I don't think I asked my original question correctly. I was more wondering about the passenger side floor mat, and the two passenger floor mats in the back of the car - why do you have to take those out?

We'll be back online late Monday to cause more trouble on BS, but in the meantime, I'm told I AM THE KING OF BANGSHIFT. I heard that from a reliable source.
                  I don't know about being the King of B/S, but the mats are to be removed for Your Royal Ass's Safety. In the meanwhile, remember that race cars run faster when they are LIGHTER! Removing mats helps that out more than most folks realize.........
                  Have a funs and safe weekend, fill us in on the results.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                  X