Dyno tour DF/Chad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno tour DF/Chad

I suggested this a while ago to some mags but for some reason nobody was willing to do it. Why not take a given engine combination that has been a mag buildup and a drum of fuel to the magazines' favorite dyno - Westech - dial it in then take it and the same fuel to several dyno's around the country? Out east we always joke about the 'west coast dyno' horsepower numbers being rediculous and unreal for the engine combination tested. Put it to the test. Maybe even try different kinds of dynos in the same town to compare but don't change anything but jets to adjust for weather???

Neutral sites could include:
    California - Westech (Superflow)
    California - Carb shop (?)
    Wyoming - Wyotech (?)
    Texas - School of Automotive Machinists (Superflow)
    Ohio - UNOH (DTS)
    TN - Comp Cams (Superflow)

You get the picture.

Re: Dyno tour DF/Chad

awesome idea...

I'm wondering if you'll get ignored (like I do when I ask a prickly test question) or ?
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Reminds me of the "OrangeCounty Correction Factor".

Neat idea. Of course there will probably be no takers, which site wants to be the biggest FluffDaddy?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

There's a guy up here that has the same setup as Kenny Dutweiller. I've seen Blown Alcohol Pro Mod engines on this thing.

It's almost a religious experience to see a 2500hp motor at full song in a little room.

Duck and Cover!

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

do that on a chassis dyno! it is neat to see a straped down as tight as poss. car lift a wheel at full song(turbo cars are great!)

Comment

Sorry guys... I think it's a crappy idea...

WHY? you say?.... oh calm down... we don't always have to agree... LOL

it's a given that all dyno's are different... who cares how much different... HP is just an output number based on an operator selected calibration factor.... the Calibration factor adjusts for ambient conditions and variations in installation techniques...

So basically every number you get is going to be different... The only thing that has Value is using the Same Dyno time after time with the same operators or procedures for determining the Cal factors... ( or at least let the computer do it the same way everytime )....

With Westec you have Steve Brule... who is simply a Magical guy with a Dyno and his tuning skills are second to none... I trust him... Could someone ask him to change things.... maybe... but Steve would know he was a turd... and if you asked him about it... I'll bet he'd tell you what he thought of that sort of thing...

K

Comment

I have no doubt at all that Steve is a great guy and tuner extrordinaire. It's just that myself and every engine builder I've ever talked to have never seen the kind of power numbers on the dyno as the 'west coast' engine buildups. Maybe they are just that much better?!?!?!?

Comment

Dyno racing..... All it would do is confuse people IMO.

A dyno is simply a tool. Who cares if an engine makes 5000hp on one dyno and only 400hp on another? The information your looking for is the torque and HP curve and where it is in realtion to rpm. Make a change to the engine and watch what it does to that curve. Did you make an improvement or did you lose torque or HP? The actual number is irrelevant. Its the "trend" either up or down that you watch.

Why not do an episode with one of these respected operators explaining EXACTLY what and why a dyno measures what it does and how you use that information instead? Kindve a dyno operators type class. THAT would be more usefull and interesting than looking at just a motor running and looking at the pretty graphs on a screen.

You can see those at the NRE site. (there are some NICE engines pulling huge dyno #'s on that site as well)

Chris 8)

Comment

Chris... now that is a GREAT idea... seriously... it would improve most folks understanding of Dyno's in general...

I know that until I started paying the money I really didn't understand to much... but when bucks are on the line... Dyno time and information about how to maximize it is Very important...

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                    it's a given that all dyno's are different... who cares how much different...
                    Originally posted by dhondagod
                    Who cares if an engine makes 5000hp on one dyno and only 400hp on another?
                    Who cares? Are you two serious??

You mean you wouldn't like to know what the variables are and why?

..and you don't care that the dyno you've just paid good money to have your engine tested on just pissed in your pocket??

"Hey. why is my car only running mid-10s? The dyno said it was good for 9.90s.. Something's wrong, it's down on 150hp. What's this gonna cost me to fix?"

When you buy a ruler to measure stuff with, do you expect it to be accurate, or it doesn't matter?

Comment

If your car runs mid tens the way I saw it burning rubber, I say with less than 2 trips to the strip it could be running nines!

The reason it wont run 9's is not the motor. Its the car set up. He more than like said "You have enough power to run 9's" but he cannot predict the car or he is a fool for saying that. ET is the car MPH is the HP

You want a Dyno, go to the track and weigh it, do some math on the MPH.

Dyno's are tuning tools but you cannot compair one dyno to the next, Hell 1/2 of the engine dyno rooms are not made right, and how are you going to factor that in?

Its the "Weed Factor" that makes West coast motors make so much power I thought everyone knew that :D

2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                        When you buy a ruler to measure stuff with, do you expect it to be accurate, or it doesn't matter?

Once you've spent time on different dynos, you too will realize that dynomometers aren't comparable to rulers. The only thing you can hope for is consistency with the same dyno, and sometimes even THAT won't happen. That's where a competent operator comes in.

-scott
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                          Originally posted by KeithTurk
                          it's a given that all dyno's are different... who cares how much different...
                          Originally posted by dhondagod
                          Who cares if an engine makes 5000hp on one dyno and only 400hp on another?
                          Who cares? Are you two serious??

You mean you wouldn't like to know what the variables are and why?

..and you don't care that the dyno you've just paid good money to have your engine tested on just pissed in your pocket??

"Hey. why is my car only running mid-10s? The dyno said it was good for 9.90s.. Something's wrong, it's down on 150hp. What's this gonna cost me to fix?"

Cant compare a ruler to a dyno. Rulers ARE constant. Dyno's have variables.

When you commit to dyno-tuning you need to stay with THAT dyno and operator. You simply cannot go bouncing from one to the other. Your infromation will be inaccurate which will lead you to incorrect conclusions.

Say you dyno your car at Dyno-shop "X", go home change your carb and intake then because shop"X" is closed or ??? you drive to the guy near your house at Dyno-shop "Y" and you make the same power. "What? No gains?! But HR said Id pick up 50HP?"

So you go back and tear your car apart looking for what went wrong. Had you gone back to Dyno-shop "X" you may have seen your 50hp you were looking for because THAT was the dyno you got your baseline from....

Two different dyno operators on the same dyno could have different results simply because each operator may have "his" way of setting up and calibrating the dyno. Same thing for flow benches.

BTW Steve, your burnouts/car are AWSOME!!!!

Chris 8)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                            Hell 1/2 of the engine dyno rooms are not made right, and how are you going to factor that in?
                            Half? Hell, after being in a couple of OEM-level dyno cells at various manufacturers, I realized that 99-percent of the dyno cells we used for aftermarket testing were toys in comparison. Until you can control the oil and water temperature to a fraction of a degree, and more important, the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure in the room to constant conditions, you are basically pissing in the wind. Even a Spintron is a POS compared to what the OEs use to test valvetrains. Just the laser that GM uses in its valvetrain cell costs three times what a complete Spintron runs.

Comment

I was trying to be kind, people think I am to harsh. I dont know what they are talking about :D
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X