Dyno tour DF/Chad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dyno tour DF/Chad

I've wondered this myself. Like how do they get 340rwhp out of an edelbrock headed 5.0mustang........................................ ..................................................

I've never seen one make 305rwhp, out a 302. And I've seen every combination there is. They rarely break 300. Ever seen the Horsepower tv episode where they make a brazilian hp out of one with basic bolt ons and an adj fuel pressure regulator. I've never laughed so hard in my life

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
      I was trying to be kind, people think I am to harsh. :D

Why start now???? ???

Chris ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dhondagod
        Who cares if an engine makes 5000hp on one dyno and only 400hp on another?
        Answer: the guys that come in with a magazine and say they want to build THAT engine because it makes 500 horsepower. Then when they see the dyno sheet that shows it down 50hp, they don't understand that everyone's dyno - like a flowbench is a little different. Im recent memory, we've built two 383's for customers with AFR 195 heads, 236/242 hyd roller cams 10.5:1 decent ring pack engines (basic magazine builds, right?) - one with a performer RPM and one with a stealth ram. On a SF901, The Performer rpm engine made 465hp and the Stealth ram engine made 425hp. The Holley systemax kit for a 350 chevy that was supposed to make 425hp makes about 360 if you are interested. I'm not saying I'm the best engine builder in the world but I'm not a complete dolt - contrary to what Keith may say;) - I would assume the magazine gods understand that what they print, the public wants. Now call up 20 or even 50 engine shops around the country and ask them how many calls they've gotten in the last two years from people wanting 500hp daily driver engines because they saw it in the magazine and they even give you the formula. For a quicker response just ask on Speedtalk's forum - you're bound to get some good anecdotes along with the rolling eyes.

I may be ranting a bit but I'm just trying to add a touch of reality to the world of shiny print.

By the way, I have a pile of parts on my shop floor currently that a customer brought in recently - he had every single part listed in some 10 year old 350 Chevy Edelbrock headed buildup article. Think it'll make the same power now as it did in print?

Comment

Originally posted by Green Junk
          I've wondered this myself. Like how do they get 340rwhp out of an edelbrock headed 5.0mustang........................................ ..................................................

I've never seen one make 305rwhp, out a 302. And I've seen every combination there is. They rarely break 300. Ever seen the Horsepower tv episode where they make a brazilian hp out of one with basic bolt ons and an adj fuel pressure regulator. I've never laughed so hard in my life
          I'm with you! How was it that my old fox body Mustang ran 12.5's at 107 in the quarter making 204rwhp (on a mustang dyno) but the guys making over 100hp more barely break out of the 13's???

Comment

you absolutely cant compare dynos to many variables - humidity temp air pressure etc etc etc

a dyno is just a(TUNING TOOL.....) THE NUMBERS MEAN NOTHING IF YOU CANT GET IT DOWN THE TRACK.

Comment

Originally posted by King Matt
              Hell 1/2 of the engine dyno rooms are not made right, and how are you going to factor that in?
              Half? Hell, after being in a couple of OEM-level dyno cells at various manufacturers, I realized that 99-percent of the dyno cells we used for aftermarket testing were toys in comparison. Until you can control the oil and water temperature to a fraction of a degree, and more important, the temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure in the room to constant conditions, you are basically pissing in the wind. Even a Spintron is a POS compared to what the OEs use to test valvetrains. Just the laser that GM uses in its valvetrain cell costs three times what a complete Spintron runs.
              That really puts it in perspective, Matt......I didn't realize there were different "grades" of dynos myself.....

Then agan, it's like any other tool...there's the general-masses tools, then there are the professional-grade items.

Comment

Consumer: G-tech
                Prosumer: Standard dynojet type thing you find at the average shop
                Proffessional: Probably the Superflows
                Experimental: Kenny D's setup
                Labratory: OEM torque cell dynos with full environmental control

Same grading scale is there for just about everything from printers to calipers.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

"Hey. why is my car only running mid-10s? The dyno said it was good for 9.90s.. Something's wrong, it's down on 150hp. What's this gonna cost me to fix?"

When you buy a ruler to measure stuff with, do you expect it to be accurate, or it doesn't matter?

Like others have said on here, a SuperFlow, DTS, Stutska, etc. are not all exactly equal due to variables in dyno cell construction, etc. As for the "mid 10's but the dyno says it should run 9.90s". I haven't gotten one of those print-outs before. Hell, we were on the dyno for the past three days and Westech's 902 never told me how quick or fast anything would go. I want one of those newfangled trick Autralian dynos. :P ;D
                  I'm kidding of course. But on a serious note, if most guys took the time they used for researching the parts needed for an extra 150 horsepower from their combo, and spent that actually tuning the chassis, they would probably shave the same or more time off their E.T. There are a lot of cars at the drag strip that could use some serious help and go WAY quicker and faster.

Dyno shootout roadtrip? Well, I happen to know that Revolutionary and a few others on these boards are good engine builders, and have been fortunate enough to see their engines run both on the dyno and in cars. With that said, I don't think the numbers would be that different with cells that are setup to roughly the same standard. Build an engine, dyno it at home. Bring the sheets to Westech with the motor and we'll test it. I'm up for that, and Brulio will take our money. I know him, he's done it before.

Brulio is the man by the way.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Neutral sites could include:
                    California - Westech (Superflow)
                    California - Carb shop (?)
                    Wyoming - Wyotech (?)
                    Texas - School of Automotive Machinists (Superflow)
                    Ohio - UNOH (DTS)
                    TN - Comp Cams (Superflow)

You get the picture.

Carb Shop- DTS...In fact, the very very first one. They have serial number one and it's in a tiny little cell, but George and Bob are two of the nicest guys and do some cool work. I've dynoed stuff along with Scott there a few times. Great guys.

One more thing. If this ever does go down, Shannon has to come with you. Arguably the funniest tuner/driver in the business. He and I are way beyond dangerous with a few drinks. He's been Darrel's right hand man at Engine Masters for the last few years and they are too much fun to hang out with. Lots and lots of stories.
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

See if you could get "Ohio" George Montgomery (he's my engine machinist) to let you use his way way old school water brake dyno that he speced all the Indy Lites motors on.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

If your car runs mid tens the way I saw it burning rubber, I say with less than 2 trips to the strip it could be running nines!

The reason it wont run 9's is not the motor. Its the car set up. He more than like said "You have enough power to run 9's" but he cannot predict the car or he is a fool for saying that. ET is the car MPH is the HP

You want a Dyno, go to the track and weigh it, do some math on the MPH.

Dyno's are tuning tools but you cannot compair one dyno to the next, Hell 1/2 of the engine dyno rooms are not made right, and how are you going to factor that in?

Its the "Weed Factor" that makes West coast motors make so much power I thought everyone knew that :D

Don't take my example literally. I just made that up..
                        My point is that I expect the dyno I pay for to be of a reasonable accuracy.
                        I think it would be very interesting to see the variable readings from one dyno to the other, so bone-heads like me can see and realize the inconsistancies that really exist.. Of course variables exist.

OK, I weigh my car and look at my MPH. 500hp.. I guess I'll just never know if my converter is stuffed or some other fault when an accurate dyno could have indicated that I had more power than that.

A dyno should be of a reasonable accuracy.
                        If I have one dyno tell me I had 700hp, then I do a cam swap and up the c/r, then a different dyno then tells me I have 650hp -still after correcting to SAE.. What crap is that?
                        So, to say who cares if a dyno tells you 400hp or 5000hp.. That's just crazy. (You're Crazy Chris!.. and thanks. ;))

I know staying with the one dyno & operator is preferred, but still, 100ft/lb should still be as close as possible to 100ft/lb on another dyno across town.

Comment

Do you drink Mixed Drinks? enough said ;)
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Do you drink Mixed Drinks? enough said ;)
                            ..and when I pay money for them, I expect them to be mix ratio to be consistant to the last one.
                            Enough said! :P :D

Comment

What happens at the next bar? It is a different drink, but if you drink enough, your car will run nines.
                              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

9's.....If I get enough drinks I'm in the 8's ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seth
                                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                                X