No announcement yet.

Out of work again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to PA and work in the gas fields. All sorts of work, lots of money. If I was about 20 years younger.... 5 more years at my current job and I can collect a pension, hard to walk away from that.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Hope everything works out for ya. Sounds like you've got a good saleable skill set. So somebody will hire you for a good payin' job.

I just had my 1st anniversary for my current job and i'm just greatful to have been getting my minimalist paycheck for so long and so reliably.
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

As bad as things are at my current job, I am thankful I have one. My immediate boss and I had a loud exchange Tuesday when I was looking for a solution. He had loud exchanges with two other drivers in the same 15 minutes. I was so furious I thought it best that I dont get in front of clients thst day.

I had a meeting with our new general manager this morning and I went in thinking I may be looking for a new job this afternoon. I still have my job, but I will be looking anyways.

Bill, I hope you find work soon. I hope your former boss finds karma and his new, young employees cost him much more money than keeping you.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

good luck Bill - it's weird to see all the changes in our short lives. I was actually told "It's not about who's smartest any more" before I left. It was certainly an eye opener. I thought "I'd like to hear you say that to Bill Gates". Strange days indeed. Then again, old boss was also the guy who told me "We gotta get rid of you old guys so we can get some new guys in here". uhhhhhhhhh..... and we're supposed to train them to replace us also. I understood that a long time ago, they wouldn't let you go to the new job until you had trained your replacement. That made sense. I think they forgot that and I'm secretly thrilled to hear their satisfaction rating went into the shitter after their last purge. The customers are pissed. Good for them.

25-28 / hr , how far does that go up there? I'm thinking about looking into Tom's suggestion, what about the gas industry? I got out of auto / mechanic work years ago because of shitty bosses and absolutely horrible buddy buddy politics. I don't guess the fuel industry is much different, or maybe they have a new guy thing going on too?

I also gave some thought to a Cornwell tool franchise - except I'd probably eat all the profit. How locked up is the tool cart business up there?
          Last edited by Beagle; July 12, 2013, 04:46 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There are Cornwell dealers up here now.
            The tool dealer business is tied up pretty good in
            Michigan right now, but there's likely room somewhere.

I'm getting pretty tired of Michigan, and it's ####ed up
            economy, but moving isn't an option without money...or help.

Comment

When I started working which was at the age of 12 while still in school every summer my uncle would pick me up around 7:AM

He was in the home building and remodeling business and off we went to a job somewhere.

Long story short I worked for him for about 10 years before I went on my own building and remodeling homes.

My uncle would ask if I thought I was going to work hard my whole life and I said yes. He then said if you really plan on working hard why make someone else rich why not work for yourself.

He also said if you really want job security be self employed because you will never fire yourself!!!!!!!

I took his advice and have been self employed my entire life and I am glad I did it that way.

Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
                When I started working which was at the age of 12 while still in school every summer my uncle would pick me up around 7:AM

He was in the home building and remodeling business and off we went to a job somewhere.

Long story short I worked for him for about 10 years before I went on my own building and remodeling homes.

My uncle would ask if I thought I was going to work hard my whole life and I said yes. He then said if you really plan on working hard why make someone else rich why not work for yourself.

He also said if you really want job security be self employed because you will never fire yourself!!!!!!!

I took his advice and have been self employed my entire life and I am glad I did it that way.

Jimbo

That's been my plan for decades, but kids, child support, and life have made it so
                I don't have the capitol to do such a thing.

Comment

I tried that - I said to myself "Boss, you wanna buy me a beer at lunch?"... and the boss didn't mind... and we never made it back to work. I wonder if I ever outgrew that.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I think one of the hardest things to over come when you want to start working for yourself is realizing that come Friday no one is going to hand you a paycheck!!!!!

Over the years I have had more guys ask that was a problem for me and really it was not a problem at all.

When I first started working for myself the jobs were few and far between but I found out that if you do good work and do everything you say your going to do and your pricing is in the ballpark you will be fine.

I love working for myself and 11 years ago I started Nostalgic Racing Decals because it was always a hobby of mine collecting old racing decals.

What started off has a hobby turned into a full time business with a few employees.

Don't die without realizing your potential and dreams.

Jimbo

Comment

Jimbo - So, did you ever fire yourself?

Working for myself was NOT for me!

Dan

Comment

Dan,
                        I fire myself a few times a year, but I always seem to hire me back...I agree with Jimbo + theres no MAN to get you down, only yourself, and then you fire him (and rehire him)...My personal stress is a lot lower and more controllable when theres no one to blame but myself. Im not sure how $rich$ and working for yourself correlate though...
                        BKB
                        www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                        Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Look into North Dakota. If you want to work hard that's the place to be. Most employers will work with you on time off so you can get home to see your family.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

COLD !!!! and oil field work is for HD diesel techs
                            burns you out QUICK !!!!

Comment

I keep hearing that, you can be trained if you're willing. As far as the cold...I just put a sweater on.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I work for myself, but nobody's buying much of what we sell right now. So Mrs. 455 LeMans suggested I go out and supplement the income stream. So I am back working like a rented mule for someone else again, gotta do what ya gotta do. Hopefully it will be a short lived situation, I'm too old and beat up for this shit. Don't worry Bill, you'll find something, there are a lot of people that don't like the whole 'work thing' and someone's gotta do it.
                                Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

Working...
                                X