Sheetmetal Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loren View Post
    That was a thought. The mounts sandwich the carpet and dynamat, and he'll probably put more dynamat inside.
    I noticed those consoles right away, a little car low to the ground with a transaxle and dual range.

I would have gone insane if it was straight cut. Right next to my hip.

I am inspired to make one, gain some fancy cup holders too.

that being metal keeps the temps of whatever drink its holding.

Nice piece.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Whoo baby, that is very, very nice!
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeful Ogre View Post

Guess who.
        Welcome back!

Loren, that is badass! NICE JOB!
        A.K.A. Brian
        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Glad to have a new member ! wink wink.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S. I forgot, nice work Loren. Most the time I go to a cruise in and I see a car with a non factory console in it . They usually look out of place because they aren't with the charactor of the car / truck . Also love the jeep mods. Sorry I didn't post over there.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

No prob...I look at almost everything but don't always reply...it would take all day.

I added a pic of the temp. install to the original post, via edit.

Arild, the main shell is two pieces: One is the sides and top face up to the gauge panel, the other is the gauge panel and then bends to make the very top. There had to be a seam below the gauges as that panel is flat but the top console face has a slight curve. The compartment lid is cut from the shell and reinforced and lined underneath. Then there are the detail pieces as you'd expect, for example the side of the stuff box you can see is part of a brace that goes the full length through there to keep things flat.

Thanks for all comments, this was fun to make but of course took longer than I meant to...it was supposed to just be a quickie but then more ideas kept creeping into it, you know how it goes.

Comment

Loren.. Older you get, longer stuff takes to do... One day you'll be a-rockin and realize I'm right....
                Not sure if it is old age slow down or too many fancy idees.. Lol
                But back to point out... DAMN GOOD WORK!

Comment

What kind of seats are those LOREN?
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I THINK they had a Lincoln logo on them, old leather still in usable condition. Like most old standard-cab pickups where car seats are attempted, they don't fit well. The headrests needs to come off the top and more trimming on the upper back would help too, otherwise they have to lean forward too much. I believe the plan is to do something like that with these or other seats, the right upholstery guy can handle it. Anyhow he took it home today and seems to have a fresh load of inspiration for his Chevy which had been kinda sitting the last year, always nice to see. It was really just an old beater when he got it, years ago, it's come a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      I THINK they had a Lincoln logo on them, old leather still in usable condition. Like most old standard-cab pickups where car seats are attempted, they don't fit well. The headrests needs to come off the top and more trimming on the upper back would help too, otherwise they have to lean forward too much. I believe the plan is to do something like that with these or other seats, the right upholstery guy can handle it. Anyhow he took it home today and seems to have a fresh load of inspiration for his Chevy which had been kinda sitting the last year, always nice to see. It was really just an old beater when he got it, years ago, it's come a long way.
                      Sorry about the caps, forgot it was you're wife's screenname that was in all caps, not yours.

I liked the basic design, don't know why I keep looking when I already have Eldorado seats for my Riviera but something in me just keeps looking till I actually have stuff installed.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Nice design in addition to the fab work. Those rounded corners look crashworthy to me. (heaven forbid) If ya think about it-- do ya really need upholstry for it? that steel looks plenty trick ..... imo.
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

WOW, that looks great and if I had that talent I'd show it too, we have one guy here in town that can do stuff like that but I'd hate to guess what the price would be. If I had that console I'd go out and buy a truck to put it in. I agree with Oldsman, I wouldn't upholster it either.
                          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Working...
                          X