Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a T-trailer - turning it into an H-trailer, got a bonus Manx style buggy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a T-trailer - turning it into an H-trailer, got a bonus Manx style buggy.

Long story with this one.

At least 12 years ago, a buddy wanted to get into a sand toy, cheap. I volunteered to help him, and we promptly found a corvair-powered buggy locally and fairly cheap.

We cut the corvair stuff out, and sold it. Welded in a VW torsion, and built a t-trailer for it.

Made this particular trailer a little different than the usual ones, in order to be able to pull it with a mini-van (I know, I know....not mine though). Kept it a little narrower than most t-trailers too, by moving the axle forwards to the balance point for this type of buggy.

(I actually found the balance point by jacking up a spare completed buggy, and used that dimension to build from)

Raising the "tire-rack" on the rear a few inches also kept the track width down for easier towing.

He bought a bunch of parts, seats, aluminum floor, etc, before running out of time. It was taking up space at my place, and no work getting done for over a year, and I finally convinced him to take it home, hoping proximity would provide motivation?

Guess not. He said he only went out to look at it 3 times in 12 years.

Anyways, I find myself less in need of a large 2-place buggy trailer, and more in need of a pair of LIGHTWEIGHT single buggy trailers.

I already had one lightweight version. Needs something more handy in the ramp department, but that is minor.

I called to see if he wanted to part ways with the whole project. He did, and for reasonable $.

So now we have the 2 lightweight trailers covered. Might have to look into selling the big 2-place trailer now....

Don't mind my driveway weeds.....they have been sprayed.

Anyone want a fiberglass dune buggy project, cheap?
    Last edited by STINEY; April 11, 2016, 06:32 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Those rear tires on that buggy look just like the ones on a jeep my brother had 30 years ago. BTW where do you take your sand rails to play?

Comment

Almost looks like a hot tub on wheels.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Looks like another celebrity has hit rock bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedbuggy1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	871149

Actually, this is a novel idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speedbuggy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	871150
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

put it on samba and im sure it'll sell there
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

These just present so much better when they are not trailer ornaments.

Just for comparison, note how much more clearance to the fenders this one has, over my other tub.

Comment

What does a project buggy like that go for in your locale?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The 'glass body alone, they sell for $400-500 frequently. Friend of mine has sold 3 just this summer.

Rear suspension clips $150, king pin front axle/suspension $200. Poly seats $130 pair. It adds up, much like any other vehicular project.

There is a whole box of brand new goodies I didn't get pictures of. New headlight buckets, pedal assembly, etc. There is also the factory roll bar and windshield frame that never left my place, and some other stuff that came with it when it was corvair powered. I forgot about that stuff till now.....man, I DO have way too much crap!

Comment

how cool, have fun with it!
                  Racing Solves Everything

Comment

Played legos yesterday.

The date with the steam cleaner made a big difference on the hood.

Added some old reverse chrome wheels/tires. I finally have my smoothies back!

Comment

Just a follow-up to completion.

Converted to H-trailer style. Cut the slide rail off the main beam, welded on a front crossmember sourced from used steel skids at work and welded a pair of 2"x2" on to support the buggy front wheels.

Then screwed reclaimed grain bin flooring to the 2x2 for a wider footprint and traction. New tires, reflectors, paint and go.

And loaded. Pulls super-easy, can even maneuver a drive-thru window late at night for iced tea - nice not having to park and have the dogs/kids/wife all wake up needlessly.

You do not want to tie the rear frame of the buggy down, the rear suspension acts as the trailer suspension. These lightweight trailers ride very well since the buggy suspension absorbs all the bumps.

Next improvement is adding tie-downs for a quick strap over the rear tires. The current method works, but sometimes I get sandy oil in my hair.

Plus the tire thing is just easier, no crawling around.

The yellow 2-place trailer got that style when I built it. The little flatbed got them last year - they are visible in this picture.

Even added cooler tie-downs. Nice having your beverages all iced down and cool upon arrival. Easy and practical way to ballast tongue weight for different machines as well.

Need to improve the ramp system on the little flatbed now. It has nice aluminum ramps, would be nicer if they pivoted and pinned up in place.

Comment

Derby cars get tied down up front at the frame or bumper.. Tight.. Out back, just the rear end.. Rear suspension helps ride..
                        Sometimes we throw a chain over the trunk.. Not often.
                        Nice little trailers.. Perfect for their use!
                        Another trick with suspensionless trailers is less air for better bounce control..

Comment

Working...
                        X