No announcement yet.

Expensive oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Stokes and John (Milner351) must be asleep or working already.

Diesel... 15 quarts of ouch.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      Dan Stokes and John (Milner351) must be asleep or working already.

Diesel... 15 quarts of ouch.
      diesel owners if they are smart go to a big rig parts store and buy either 5gallons or a 35 gallon drum
      as it's way way cheaper that way.. and it's not like you'd not use it..

Comment

The oil change on the Cummins is about $100 at my buddy Dave's shop. By the time I buy the oil and filter and haul the dead oil back to the Advance it's just as cheap to have them do it. But Truck is OK with a 5K mile oil change interval.

I've taken to buying oil for the rest of the fleet at COSTCO. I buy what's cheap but name brand and so far all is well. Why are the drop-in filters for the HHR so pricey?!

And Beags was right - I was still snoozing. John's probably at work.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; July 19, 2013, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Buy the Lucas by the gallon. Around here its usually about the price of 2 quarts that way.

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter
            It's probably cheaper to let the engine blow & rebuild...
            OSC, you'll not want to run that oil pan on the streets and roads around here in eastern TN. A skunk in the road would....well, that would stink for sure.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Had one of those pans on myCamaro. Ground the drain plug off in 2 weeks.

Comment

Wife's G8 GT takes 8.8 qts. of oil. I bought two 5 qt. jugs of Castrol Edge from Wally World,and a Napa Gold filter. $55 bucks or so. You can catch this oil on special at the various parts stores from time to time for a really good price,but elsewise it's 8 or 9 bucks a qt. or more. I hate Wal-Mart,but you can't argue with a price that low.

Actually, I found 5 qts of Castrol Edge at Fred's for 3.50 a qt. on closeout. Ghetto store,but that was a good deal. Too bad they didn't have more.
                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  The oil change on the Cummins is about $100 at my buddy Dave's shop. By the time I buy the oil and filter and haul the dead oil back to the Advance it's just as cheap to have them do it. But Truck is OK with a 5K mile oil change interval.

I've taken to buying oil for the rest of the fleet at COSTCO. I buy what's cheap but name brand and so far all is well. Why are the drop-in filters for the HHR so pricey?!

And Beags was right - I was still snoozing. John's probably at work.

Dan
                  aplace to recycle is indeed another cost.

I thought I had a chemical in an old Subaru engine.. I mean freakishly powerful, take the paint off the outside of the oil pan kinda powerful. I then got the heads up on their process for dipping bodies, only half of it got done..the etching brain melter, never satisified. Hydrochloric to diganose

Anyway, I went on to even thinking I found nuclear.

I brought the oil to the garage next door, they use it in their furnace. A strange event happened from the smoke stack of the furnace.. I silently blamed my subes oil. Can't be sure..but it does seem fitting to see what I did.

Where is that mystery chimney shadow photo I shared here...

Today all is well, but I have never encountered anything like it, even after being the grunt at a quick lube. My own car.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Well, the good thing is that we don't put oil in our rigs as often as fuel. So, cost to benefit ratio isn't so bad.
                    Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
                    how about going to Orielly's auto parts to get oil ,filters and additives for my Camaro and leave almost $100 less than i had before entering the store !!

(2) Fram HP1 oil filters

(9) qts 50 wt valvoline VR1 oil

(1) bottle of lucas oil stabilizer
                    STUGOTS

Comment

Groucho buys Firebirds
                      Originally posted by NightShifter
                      As my rear main is leaking on the Firebird..... thinking about pulling the engine in the next few days.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Be glad you dont have a dry sump. You would be buying oil by the gallon.
                        ummmm... lol. Scott, there are 4 quarts in a gallon; if he puts in 9 quarts, he's already buying oil by the gallon
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

'Round these parts a gallon is 4x quart price anyway. I buy like whomever that mentioned quantities on sale and keep in stock.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            ummmm... lol. Scott, there are 4 quarts in a gallon; if he puts in 9 quarts, he's already buying oil by the gallon
                            Some have a 5 gallon tank alone.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Been using the Al Serra GMC, Cadillac dealership they do a oil change for $12.95 plus they have free coffee and donut in the morning
                              Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                              Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

Working...
                              X