Golf Cart Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Cart Question?

Hi Ya-all.. We have a Yamaha golf cart we use in the pits.. It is gas powered and does run great.. Only thing is when you let off the gas, it quits running. It is made to do that.. That makes it really jerky driving around the crowds.. I've noticed it has a switch that looks like a brake light switch on the gas pedal.. When you press down on the gas pedal, the switch closes and the engine starts.. Could I just jump across the switch and let the engine idle all the time? Seems if the engine would stay running, it would be smoother driving around the fans.. The key would shut the engine off.. Any advise???

Re: Golf Cart Question?

Be careful with that idea. The pedal switch controls the starter (or, generator that's used as a starter in some golf carts)... I am not sure how yours works exactly but the point is to make sure that you don't keep the starter engaged or in "start mode" after the engine's been running. I know the one we had, an EZ-GO, you could do that because the switch from cranking to charging was based on engine RPM. I.e. if you floored the pedal, and the engine didn't start, it would keep cranking until it ran and THEN the starter disengaged and started being used to charge the battery...

hope that makes sense.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

dieselgeek, it appears to me that is how this one is working.. Once the switch is closed as you push down on the pedal, it stays closed.. and of coarse the engine continues to run.. I'm thinking starter does work on an RPM deal.. but not sure.. The boss is affraid to just let me try it and burn up the starter, that is why I'm asking..

Comment

CHeck that the starter isn't actually a generator that's just used as a starter until the engine runs. I.e., is there an alternator or stator elsewhere on the motor?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Also, there is probably a belt / clutch adjustment that can make the cart less jerky in off-idle situations.

Comment

just install a line lock, and keep it floored!! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw57
              just install a line lock, and keep it floored!! ;D
              BEST IDEA EVER!!!!! or you could swap a ninja motor in and just keep the fronts hung in 2nd gear ;D

Comment

if u adjust or[bend]the Governor rod those things will roll
                Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Working...
                X