Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHRA Scott Kalitta statement

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    mickey thompson had stadium drag racing with cables stuck to the cars in the day
    The Thunder Drags was the name (I think) of the Mickey Thompson deal.

I guess the main logistical concern (aside from all of the major stuff) would be the amount of time necessary to reel 1/4+ cable back between each pair. Just thinking in race director mode.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

And how does a cable stop a 300-mph car? Other than badly?

Comment

Yeah, not a good idea.
        That works as well as concrete.

Comment

They seem to haul fighter jets down ok.

I don't think it's the answer but I don't have it either.

Brian

Comment

Not posting this to be contentious, David...I don't claim to have the answers, but as far as catch cables go.....they're pretty effective at stopping a fighter jet...and they generally live to fly again.

I know this: something HAS to change......or we're gonna end up with more dead drag racers.

It's that simple.

Comment

Real actual photos of the E-town shut down area. This clears up a lot of the crap that has been spewed about E-town over the last couple of weeks.

No jersey barriers across the end of the sand
              No concrete filled poles
              No steel poles holding the catch net

See for yourselves:

Brian

Comment

I used to use the last turnoff with my drum brakes
                its a half mile shutdown with a sand trap

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                  Not posting this to be contentious, David...I don't claim to have the answers, but as far as catch cables go.....they're pretty effective at stopping a fighter jet...and they generally live to fly again.
                  Someone more all-knowing than I can likely explain the system used with an aircraft carrier arresting cable. I can't envision dragstrips retrofitting them, plus an aircraft has a hook designed for catching the cable. It 300 mph, I think a Funny Car would get sliced in half before the cable reacted and started to reel out it's damping force.

Comment

Lemme see if I can properly articulate this....

The aircraft-based fighter has an attached hook on the rear fuselage. This hook "grabs" a high-tensile cable mounted into the carrier deck. I *think* it stretches to a certain amount,then brings that sppedy bird to a halt. These birds are going at a high rate of boogity-boogity themselves, so I do think that they'd withstand the force of a dragcar.

it would take time and considerable testing to prove the effectiveness, but having a hook at the back of the car to engage a pop-up arrestor cable could be a way to bring the car to a stop in case of a body/chute blow-off.

Just an idea that's been in my mind for some time, that's all.

Comment

The cable is mounted on HUGE pulleys that let the cable out at a specific speed/length....I'm sure it stretches slightly but that is not the only mechanism used...

My brother is the Aircraft Carrier guy though :

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                        The cable is mounted on HUGE pulleys that let the cable out at a specific speed/length....I'm sure it stretches slightly but that is not the only mechanism used...
                        That's what I've seen on WWII ships, and much of it us under the deck. I can't find online how the modern stuff works.

I also can't see how a hook on the back of a car would catch a cable without first mangling the rest of the car.

Comment

Integrate the hook into the chassis itself....just ideas is all.

If we(as human beings) can attach a hook to the back of an aircraft and have it survive multiple landings, surely we can design a system that'll work for a car....not saying this is the answer(I'm a truck driver, not an engineer), just not quite ready to throw it out.

Have the cable pop up after the rear tires clear the cable assembly.....split-second stuff, but it can be achieved with the available technology........this is just good, honest discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

The cable dont pop up, the hook drags behind and picks it up. This is a good thought, could work.

Comment

Just a ??? Just how fast are those planes going when they land?Lets say you are not "straight on" when you land.What happens then?Do you utilize this system with the Pro cars only?Good discussion here for sure.

Comment

Don't have an exact figure in front of me, but let's just say they be haulin' the mail.....

as long as the hook catches the cable, you WILL stop.

Good question on which classes to utilize this on, or to make it across the board. Lots of variables here for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X