X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA Scott Kalitta statement

thanks DRO
    NHRA RELEASES INITIAL FINDINGS IN KALITTA ACCIDENT
    While still conducting its investigation into the details of last week’s tragic accident that took the life of driver Scott Kalitta, NHRA announced today (June 27) some of its initial findings and steps being taken to continue its efforts to make the sport safer.

It has been determined that a series of events lead to the fatal accident. (1). An engine explosion near the end of the run resulted in separating most of the car’s body from the chassis. (2) The car’s parachutes did not blossom, and the vehicle continued down the right side of the shut down area at a high rate of speed. (3) The car went off the top end of the track, up into the right catch net pole, and hit the television camera boom beyond the end of the sand trap before coming to a rest.

The New Jersey State Police investigation team was on site the same day, working with NHRA officials as both conducted their investigation. Once it becomes available, NHRA will analyze the State Police report for any additional information on the incident. NHRA also continues its own investigation by bringing mechanical engineer and accident reconstruction expert David McCandless, M.S. M.E., P.E., to the site. McCandless is an independent engineer with more than 15 years of experience in reconstructing vehicular accidents. McCandless worked with NHRA officials, members of the Kalitta race team, and officers from the New Jersey State Police accident investigation team on site. McCandless examined and analyzed the vehicle, the track and other data, and his investigation is still underway.

The Delphi technical team and Ford recovered and are analyzing the “Blue Box” data recorder data and NHRA is using this data and analysis in its investigation.

The NHRA identified several areas to analyze and determine whether changes should be made to build upon the sport’s long standing safety record, given the inherent risks and ever-present dangers associated with race cars traveling a quarter mile at more than 300 mph.

The NHRA is addressing these problems

Engine failure: NHRA, working with the Kalitta race team, has examined the engine, and will work with the Kalitta team and other teams to analyze what might be done to reduce such incidents in the future.

Parachute materials: Since the parachutes did not blossom, NHRA will work with parachute manufacturers and suppliers and SFI to analyze parachute mounting techniques and materials. Even though fire does not appear to have prevented the chutes from blossoming in this situation, NHRA also will work with manufacturers and suppliers to identify a parachute material that could be more fire resistant.

Brakes: Research will be conducted to explore whether there is a way to increase brake efficiency when cars lose down-force due to the loss of the body.

Shutdown Area: NHRA is looking into the shutdown area. NHRA has requested data from FIA regarding design and make-up of runoff areas in other forms of motorsports to see if it has any useful application to the unique forces in drag racing. Together with the racing community and outside groups, NHRA will research and analyze catch nets and restraint devices that are used in other applications, including military applications. In addition, NHRA will analyze additional methods that might be developed at the top end of the race track to help arrest runaway vehicles, given the speed, mass and other factors synonymous with NHRA drag racing.

Speed: NHRA has implemented many initiatives to enhance safety including measures to keep speeds from increasing, personal protective gear, vehicle improvements, and track enhancements such as sand traps, catch nets and concrete barriers the entire length of the drag strip. NHRA is considering whether current speeds should be further limited or reduced to potentially improve safety. To analyze this issue NHRA will develop a task force that also includes members of the racing community to evaluate how to reduce the speed of Top Fuel and Funny Car vehicles.

The NHRA says it will continue to seek and welcome input from race teams on these and other issues in the coming weeks and months ahead. NHRA will release additional information from its ongoing investigation as it becomes available, as well as provide updates on the recently announced initiatives.

The Agent commends NHRA, working with the New Jersey State Police, for not delaying getting this investigation underway and providing the information to the public.

Re: NHRA Scott Kalitta statement

I haven't been following this as much as I'd like to, working to much, but does anyone know how Scott died. Is there a chance that the explosion killed him and thats why the car kept going?

Comment

Morley, most of the speculation has been that Scott was KO'd by the explosion and the horrific impact at the end of the track killed him.

There has been no official announcement as to what the actual cause of death was, but bear in mind that all of those guys have to wear a HANS or R3 device to protect their neck/spinal cord. Not that that means much, but, this may show the limitations of such a device.

His car was equipped with a Ford "Blue Box" data recorded with the corresponding ear pieces that keep track of some of the driver's vital functions (ie heart beat). That box is a very comprehensive data recording device that measures all manner of things with respect to the car and driver.

I'm not sure if we will ever find out what actually killed him. It makes me sleep better thinking that he was knocked out when the car blew up.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        I'm not sure if we will ever find out what actually killed him. It makes me sleep better thinking that he was knocked out when the car blew up.

Brian
        Im with you Brian

Comment

One can only hope.

Comment

I would hope he was KO'ed. I can see the brakes going out, or the suites going out but both going out at once doesn't seem likely, I don't think his lights were on after the explosion. It to bad that he's gone, but at least he went out doing something he loved and not suffering for years with cancer or something like that. I think when the man up stairs calls you up, you don't have much choice.

Comment

I agree with you on many levels, but I've never understood the logic behind getting killed doing something that you like to do being a comfort. I'm not taking a shot at you, I've just never gotten that. I don't want to get killed period, whether it's running down the drag strip or taking out the garbage.

The rules need to change in my opinion, the whole game needs to change on that level because professional nitro drag racing has reached the point (we got there 6-7 years ago) that the cars have outgrown the tracks.

It's always been about going faster, until now. Time for big changes to save the long term health of the sport and it's participants.

Brian

Comment

funny cars now have front brakes
                earlier in the session last saturday somebody's chutes failed , he was able to slow down on the brakes

Comment

I took this on saturday after the crash on ron capps car

Comment

note the rotors

Comment

I agree with you on many levels, but I've never understood the logic behind getting killed doing something that you like to do being a comfort. I'm not taking a shot at you, I've just never gotten that. I don't want to get killed period, whether it's running down the drag strip or taking out the garbage.

The rules need to change in my opinion, the whole game needs to change on that level because professional nitro drag racing has reached the point (we got there 6-7 years ago) that the cars have outgrown the tracks.

It's always been about going faster, until now. Time for big changes to save the long term health of the sport and it's participants.

Brian

I'm one of those people how tries to look at the positive side of everything, sorry I know it can be annoying. I don't ever want to die either but I know I don't want to suffer.

I agree about the cars outgrowing the tracks THUNDERBIRD86 and I talked about this yesterday and I thought we should shorten the runs to 1/8 mile but Shawn's idea to limit 350 cubic inches might work better and be safer.

Comment

This may be out of context but, why do they wait till after you scrape someone off the wall before they do something?

Comment

Brian

up in new england they end up in the gravel pit

Comment

It's sand dude and a 1/2 mile shut down.

Comment

This may be out of context but, why do they wait till after you scrape someone off the wall before they do something?
                              [/quote

I am all for the be proactive instead of reactive, but I believe that you have to look at the runs made per accident ratio before you can say this. And maybe this is why they have the knee jerk reactions after every fatality on a dragstrip.

Comment

Working...
                              X