Hot rod a CJ5 or hold out for a CJ7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot rod a CJ5 or hold out for a CJ7?

Some of you know I've been itching to drop a 425/TH400 Cadillac combo (that I have just sitting around) into a Jeep of some description. (with an Explorer 8.8 rear and a 2WD Cherokee front axle)

I've been keeping my eyes open for a contender for a few years now........and found a real possibility a few days ago. No drivetrain, good title, good frame, fiberglass body, cheap & plenty to work with. Perfect.

Or is it? Its a CJ5.

I've spent 100,000+ miles in a '86 CJ7, put it through some somewhat hairy maneuvers and understand its limitations to holding the road.

But I have very little seat time in a CJ5. As in maybe a couple of miles, and that's being generous.

Would you setup a fiberglass CJ5 in a 2WD configuration with a torquey engine? Or wait for something a bit longer?

CJ5
    22.22%
    CJ7
    22.22%
    Something weirder - like Commando
    55.56%
    Last edited by STINEY; July 24, 2013, 11:49 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I've always had an urge to put big power into a late 70's Cherokee (the 2 door ones that look like the old wagoneers). If I were actually going to do it though, it would probably end up with the full pro-street treatment with a major drop to it. CJ5's are really short and squirrely.

Comment

The CJ5 is fine. Just suicide the front axle install like a t-bucket.... Should have good freak visuals.

Comment

Fox mustang. 1200 = vroom. Wheelie. Screaming children. Time is limited, get yours now!
        Last edited by Beagle; July 24, 2013, 12:05 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I like the Commando idea myself.

Comment

don't go commando.... ever

I don't do 5s or MBs because I simply don't fit. The 5s are worse, IMO because the seem to handle worse than a MB - not sure how that's possible, but I've owned both (repeatedly) and that's been my experience.

That said, you do know that the YJs are breathtakingly cheap and the body tube from a 7 fits on a YJ frame and vice versa?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

buy/find a jeep/willies p/u and go to town

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                That said, you do know that the YJs are breathtakingly UGLY?
                Fixed it.

I did know the tubs interchanged on the frames.......but did Jeep add extra factory rust to the YJs? The CJs got a good dose, but they really outdid themselves on the YJs. Check out the frame on this one http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/3948134745.html
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                  buy/find a jeep/willies p/u and go to town
                  or the willys version. Those are cool too. Looked at a 64 full size wagoneer a few years ago that was in great shape, passed it up, don't know why.

Comment

That Hurst Commando is extremely rare & needs to be restored instead of hacked to pieces!

Finding clean CJ5-7's in Ohio is a pain in the ass, they're usually rusty junk for the most part.
                    Finding a good Wrangler YJ isn't bad, they're just more expensive & not as rusty.
                    Most CJ parts fit YJ's with minor modification, so that's a plus..

Here's a chart of Jeep wheelbases..

• Jeepster/Commando C101 1967-71 = 101"
                    • Jeepster/Commando C104 1972-73 = 104"
                    • CJ5, 1955-71 = 81" 1972-83 = 83.5"
                    • CJ6, 1955-71 = 101" 1972-81 = 103.5
                    • CJ7, 1976-86 = 93.5"
                    • CJ8/Scrambler, 1981-86 = 103.5"
                    • YJ, 1987-95 = 93.4"
                    • TJ, 1997-06 = 93.4"

If you want something quick & dirty buy this..

It's clean, caged, cheap, & fairly local to you.

Comment

which is why you put the CJ on the YJ frame.... and hopefully solve the rust problem... though, I think, everything where you live comes stock with only 3/4 of its panels.

and Tardis

it's a Jeep, a stock Jeep is a noodle fragile Jeep and normally both stuck and broke. They must be modified to resolve their standard broke/stuck option.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 24, 2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        which is why you put the CJ on the YJ frame.... and hopefully solve the rust problem... though, I think, everything where you live comes stock with only 3/4 of its panels.

and Tardis

it's a Jeep, a stock Jeep is a noodle fragile Jeep and normally both stuck and broke. They must be modified to resolve their standard broke/stuck option.
                        Been in the salvage parts biz since 93, I know what EVERY car is made of Aaron!

Comment

I'e driven a Dodge power wagon dualie, International flatbed, Landcruiser, Chevy 4by, and ALWAYS had to yank out stuck jeeps..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            I'e driven a Dodge power wagon dualie, International flatbed, Landcruiser, Chevy 4by, and ALWAYS had to yank out stuck BROKE jeeps..
                            there, fixed it for you

Comment

That too! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X