Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take a personal check for a vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you take a personal check for a vehicle?

I had posted a car up for sale, and one of the people who called sounded like he was really interested. He asked some questions and made an appointment to see it this evening. We start talking turkey, and then he asks if I would take a personal check. I was flabbergasted. I can't IMAGINE going to look at a vehicle and then asking the owner if they would take a check. Does anyone still do this? I'm just in shock that a guy asked me about it.
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

NO
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Run don't walk.......HELL NO

Comment

If he went with you to the bank to cash it maybe?
        Even then....
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Tell them to take the check to the bank, cash it, bring the cash.
          If it's large bills get a money marker to make sure they're not fake..

Comment

I'll go with him to the bank to cash it, hell, I'll drive. Then we can drive over to the tax office and transfer the title so if somebody starts blowing through toll gates or racking up parking tickets, you don't get the surprise bill.

Otherwise? Snowball's chance in hell...
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I just couldn't believe that someone even asked that. I can't remember the last time I paid for ANYTHING with a check, let alone going to a neighboring state and trying to buy a car with one.
              Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

The last time I looked at it, my checkbook is all big ticket, school tuition for the brat, property taxes, new air conditioner for the house. I pay for car tags with a check... they want a "convenience fee" for a card. Anything at the city office I pay with a check. I wrote one the other day and I had almost forgotten how.

Comment

Probably... depends how I feel about the guy. I take 10-15 checks every day on average at work and rarely have a problem. The ones that give me a funny feeling pay cash or credit card.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

NO!
                    Deposited it in my account.. Check was bogus.. Made several service charges add up..
                    With the fakes floating around.. I am thinking of those pens!

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                      Probably... depends how I feel about the guy. I take 10-15 checks every day on average at work and rarely have a problem. The ones that give me a funny feeling pay cash or credit card.
                      Your customer's wouldn't like a lein on the property if the check bounced and they wouldn't make it good...

Comment

I make it very clear over the phone that I only take cash. Further, I tell them no test drive until I see the cash. (I just sold a diesel Excursion, i put that right in the craiglist add. i only had 1 call and that guy bought it.) Those that protest and complain are the ones who don't have the money. Some one always shows up with real money and buys. Don't waste your time on those who can't pay, don't take unnecessary risks by taking checks.
                        Last edited by Hemi Joel; July 24, 2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I'd worry about counterfeit 100's...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            I'd worry about counterfeit 100's...
                            Thus the pens..

Comment

We've had 2 counterfeit 100s in our city in the last week. Got some pens today.

Certified bank check, have him go with you to your bank to have it verified and deposited?

Or better yet, wire transfer. This one is safest of all, and yes, it is still done quite frequently. If he has the money in a checking account, then it should be no trouble to have his bank wire it to your bank. Once your bank says all is good, do the title transfer.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X