Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's running their white letter tires OUT instead of in still?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young or old. Letters out = Dork. C'mon.
    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Gotta be the right wheels and tires on the right vehicle. Chevy rallies with with letters look great on restored Chevelle or Camaro. Also, if you're building a period piece, white letters may suit the era. Answer: it depends.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Don't want a theif to read how good tires they are from a distance..
        Or people to know what a tightwad I am...
        Thus..white in, like my shorts!

Comment

"if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

liking the proper vehicle/tire combo... depends on the look you are going for...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm in a transitional period.

I used to ALWAYS put white letters out, because it was the law or something. This last time, I had the white letters put IN on the Chevelle's BFG's, with the Centerline Auto Drag wheels... and after a very brief adjustment period, I like it.

The 84 C10, however, with it's 8" truck rally wheels, still has Indy 500 255/70/15's with the white letters out, and I like it - and get lots of compliments on the truck.

When I buy new tires for the truck, will I go black or white out? That IS the question!
              Last edited by yellomalibu; July 25, 2013, 04:26 AM.

Comment

white out..

Comment

On the 'right' cars the letters can be out, like most musclecars.
                  On all other cars it often looks sputip...

Some 25 years ago I used to put the letters out on my first and second cars (Ford Taunus / '67 Newport) ... Then I realised how 'misplaced' it looked, putting 'sporty-looking tires on a luxury car.
                  Since then I always put them inside. My current car stash doesn't lend for having letters out.

Some cars look much more 'business' with blackwalls.
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

It depends on the tires and what they're going on. Trying to capture the flavor of a certain era can require it. Hoosier slicks have rather over the top lettering, but they're over the top tires too, so I wouldn't hide it.

On the other hand, I can't think of any street tires on the BMW that would look right with the white letters out.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                      It depends on the tires and what they're going on. Trying to capture the flavor of a certain era can require it. Hoosier slicks have rather over the top lettering, but they're over the top tires too, so I wouldn't hide it.

On the other hand, I can't think of any street tires on the BMW that would look right with the white letters out.
                      No wide whites?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post

first mistake driving a bmw
                        ;)

Comment

White 4x4 Suburban. White outlined letters out. 1966 442 letters in when I ran BFG's.

Comment

Prefer them out only on BFG T/A's or Firestone Indy 500's.
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Chevelle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003 (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	871517

But if running regular street tires .... letters go in.

On the B all end all Exp? white outline general grabbers. They compliment the clean white body and tinted windows.
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Definitely depends on the vehicle and situation - for slicks, I say run the letters out in nearly every case on a car older than around mid 80's.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X