Bench build this - 331 SBF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench build this - 331 SBF

I found a set of rogue pistons in my collection that I honestly don't remember buying. KB112... it's a Chevy piston for a long rod 350. The pin height and diameter matches with some 5.315 rods I have and they just clear the 331 crank and should be about .006 or so down the hole. Chevy pistons in a 302. Sacrilege, I know... but here's what I was thinking:

3.25 x 4.030 (331) 10:1 Hyper KB's
    Edelbrock 170cc intake runner (60239 I think?) 60cc chamber heads
    Parker Funnel Web (think Victor Jr.) intake
    750 Holley 3310
    1 5/8 29" primary headers
    Comp XE274 Hydraulic roller (224/232 @ .050, 112 LSA, .555, .565)

4.10's and 27" tire, tremec 3550, 3200 pounds with driver

what would you change for a "little bit spirited" street car? HP guesses? ET?
    Last edited by Beagle; July 25, 2013, 04:55 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

109lsa
    3:90 rear gear

Comment

Ditch the 3310 ... go with a double pumper

Maybe a powershot?
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

correction on the heads - 180cc, 235cfm- ish @ .550 intake, 175-ish exhaust, 28" water

I'm skeered of Nitrous and Hypereutectic pistons. I can't believe I bought hypers, worse yet that I don't remember why!

Comment

They were probably such a good deal you couldn't pass them up - so - you have all this on hand? What's the turn around time on the balancing and machine work and do you have a local machine shop you like? Is this going in one of the foxes for DW?

If that is the goal - get on it and use as much of what you have on hand to make it happen, so you're not stuck waiting for this or that to show up before you can proceed.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

all the junk is here except the 4.10's which I gave to the boy kid for X-mas. It would be for the '90 LX sitting in the garage so that it doesn't have to sit in the garage any more and probably be the only running thing before DW.

I've got 3.27's in the other car, this one has 3.08's. I'm also broke as hell since we spend money a LOT faster than I thought we would so it may not get 4.10's. They're iffy , first gear is pretty useless with them on the street. 3.08's on the other hand, are LSR gears!

Probably a few days on the balance, I'm torn between making it 28oz or 50oz. I have SFI junk for 50oz but it's not gonna need it.
            Last edited by Beagle; July 25, 2013, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I hear you on the horror stories of hypers and N2O .... but I know there are just as many success stories too, with conservative shots.... no more than 100-125.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

This is a little like my fairlanes combo, mine is a 331 afr 165 heads with 1.9 intake valve, 10:7:1 C/R comp hydrolic roller 35-522-8 .564/.574 lift 232/240 duration at .050. With 3:55 gears and a 26" tires and 3500 converter I ran 12:13 best only turning 5600 rpm thru traps at 110. I ran both a performer rpm and victor jr. intake it liked the daul plane bettter would use rpm air gap if I had it to do over. It did like a 750 way more than a 650 carb. Hope this is some help.

Comment

If you have od in trans if would for sure run 4:10's

Comment

used 8.8 gears are pretty common to see on CL and Ebay - I have 4.10 and I'm afraid they may be too much with my 2.8 first in the AOD.... but they'll likely have to stay for this year at least.

I would build the engine and leave the gear swap for last - it will run and drive with the gears it has in it - don't go tearing it apart until you have what you need to put it back together again.

So - what's the answer to my machine shop question?

I don't think SFI stuff is required by NHRA rules in the classes we'll be running. To balance out the Mahle pistons - my machinist has me running a 50oz balancer and 28 oz flex plate - so he didn't have to modify the crank as much. The Mahle pistons are WAY lighter than the factory trw, I suspect even being Hyper - your KB are lighter too.

Comment

I can't find the bobweight information for the crank, but it's never been balanced to anything so these being lighter or heavier doesn't really have anything to compare to.

Comment

Gears $50

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          I'll have a look on CL, I don't wanna pay shipping... and I'm leary of a seller named "Lovewomanboobman" who managed to get less than 100% on 731 deals.

Comment

No endorsement of seller expressed or implied... LOL

I didn't even catch the user name, that's a classic.

Comment

Listen to Shawn.

With the 27 inch tire I would run a 3:90 or 4:10 gear if you have OD. Remember, stock eliminator cars are as quick as they are with no power because of gearing. It's called mechanical advantage, take advantage of it.

I would step up the header size to 1 3/4 if you have them or are buying. If you already have the 1 5/8 and aren't spending money, roll with it.

Cam sounds fine, and use a 750 on it. Who cares which one. The one you have is the right one.

Spray it too. Especially if you can only find 3:73 or 3:90 gears. With the spray it will accelerate faster and therefore go through the lights with much more RPM so keep this in mind when building. I have sprayed Hyper pistons with a 150 shot a bunch of times, but I would keep it to 100 and then not have to worry. Make sure it is safe on timing, but keep the mixture correct too. Running them too fat is as bad as lean. Maybe worse.

If you want a nitrous tune suggestion, email me and I'll get you some info from Monte Smith at NOS. He's the king of nice clean nitrous tunes.

This should be an easy 11 second car without the spray. 11.50 is no problem, and all you can do without a rollbar.
                              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Working...
                              X