No announcement yet.

Bench build this - 331 SBF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would probably run the RPM Air gap manifold with at least a 1 inch spacer over the Funnel Web, if you have one.
    Last edited by mrocketscience; July 25, 2013, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I got a knock off RPM air gap off ebay for cheaper than I could find an air gap at a swap meet.

Similar to this:
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Back in the 60's they would install 312 Y block crank with some mods into a 289 block along with Chevy slugs to come up with a 331. They would also use Chevy 327 pistons with 289 rods to make a long rod 302.

The big problem with the Chevy pistons is the valve reliefs don't match up to the Ford's valves. On a small can OK but once you start notching to might have some very thin spots.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have heard that evan stock replacment pistons only have valve reliefs for 1.9 intake valves and that I want to .510 or so lift is the limit

Comment

Also you got me thinking, I like the making a stew with stuff on hand but you may want to price out what you will have in parts for this rotating assemble. My bottom end came from d.s.s and was sent quick and right now costs $880 with forged pistons with big valve reliefs, bushed rods, bearings, rings, and new cast crank. They can evan ballance it for $200. Here it is http://www.dssracing.com/331_SX_rota...p/ra331sxu.htm

They also have a 347 for the same price
            DSS Racing Pistons. Forged and manufactured in the USA.

Comment

exactly - the EI EI ohhh of the Chevy intake pairing v. Fords... but the piston in house has both sides (intake and exhaust valve pockets) cut to the same size so they only have to make one piston. On a Chevy, if you are close to the valve, you have two pistons to cast. On a sb Ford or LSx , just one. The way this thing was cast, they aren't close to the valves. It's a flat top with 7cc worth of valve reliefs...pretty big already but it will get measured so they don't get friendly.
              Last edited by Beagle; July 25, 2013, 12:30 PM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
              X