Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got 2 houses to plumb........and some work to do on one with PEX....school me on PEX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 2 houses to plumb........and some work to do on one with PEX....school me on PEX?

Have a sweaty toilet in a house with all PEX plumbing, and am going to put in an anti-sweat valve.

So I need a PEX tool. I've been told to get a good one, not a cheapy.......so how do I know which is which, other than price?

I have a couple of houses on my short list that are needing full re-plumbing jobs, so it makes sense to get a good tool and fittings, and line. What is the good stuff on line and clamps/fittings?

I've always liked PVC to work with, sawzall/glue/sandpaper and I'm a plumbing fool, but I guess its time to learn a new style.

Anyone have experience?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I looked into PEX to replace the slab plumbing in my house. I talked to a guy I know who did his house with PEX & he said it's pretty easy to work with.

Quality wise the better tool brands are.. Apollo, Cash-Acme, Greenlee, Kobalt, Rigid, Sharkbite, Zurn.
    Hand crimpers run $30-$150 for single sizes, $80-$350 for multi-die kits.
    Cash-Acme, Kobalt, Sharkbite, Rigid are the same with Cash-Acme, Kobalt, Sharkbite being cheaper then Rigid in price only.
    Greenlee & Rigid make professional grade power crimpers, but they cost $1000-$3000!

Seeing that you're doing 2 houses, & eventual repairs, I'd get a multi-die PEX tool.
    The good kits come with 3-5 dies & the tool is adjustable for accuracy & wear.
    The 5 die kits have 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 & 1" dies which covers all the sizes you'll need.

This is probably the best PEX tool for the money at $105 shipped. It's similar to the Apollo brand in appearance & quality & it comes with 5 dies. This seller specializes in PEX products too..

And don't forget the buy a PEX cutter too..(same seller)

How that helps STINEY!

Comment

copper it last..
      pex will go the way of the older plastic pipe'n that they now outlawed

Comment

Copper is a target............one of the houses is a hud foreclosure that was "relieved" of its copper. Ain't no way I'm springing for more copper.

Which plastic was outlawed?

Thanks Tardis! Perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Copper is a target............one of the houses is a hud foreclosure that was "relieved" of its copper. Ain't no way I'm springing for more copper.

Which plastic was outlawed?

Thanks Tardis! Perfect!
          Polybutylene is the stuff I think you're referring to.
          The industry had lots of problems with it years ago.......was used a lot in manufactured housing.

Are you doing a whole house or just the toilet area?
          For small job cpvc would work for me.......easy to work with.

As far as Pex.....have you considered using the Sharkbite fittings with the product?

We sell tons of the stuff........I've used Pex when I re did both bath rooms last year and used
          the Sharkbite fittings.

If you're doing a whole house........Pex has the manifold system which is pretty cool.
          Every run is a home run and works from a central box.
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

A hex on PEX!! As a former plumber I'm sort of old school and stick with rigid copper. I do get your point on the theft issue, though. I wonder if PEX is popular with thieves?

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; July 26, 2013, 05:34 AM.

Comment

A few years back I was looking into having a house built on my property. The contractor I was dealing with used Pex. I grew up in the copper age so I was asking questions a out the Pex. The contractor didn't have any problems in fact a bonus is if the water freezes, the Pex expands and doesn't rupture.

I,m been an electrician for well over 30 years. At one time my feeling was metal boxes and BX. Now, Romex and plastic boxes in housing are the way to go.

I don't know too much about Pex tools but I'd go to a plumbing supply house and ask them and get the material as well from them. I know from my line of work I hate going to big box stores for material because it' s hit or miss on parts. They'll carry one part but won't stock the accompanying part needed. You waste too much time plus they all have that dumb look when you ask them. Any electrical questions feel free to ask.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                A few years back I was looking into having a house built on my property. The contractor I was dealing with used Pex. I grew up in the copper age so I was asking questions a out the Pex. The contractor didn't have any problems in fact a bonus is if the water freezes, the Pex expands and doesn't rupture.

I,m been an electrician for well over 30 years. At one time my feeling was metal boxes and BX. Now, Romex and plastic boxes in housing are the way to go.

I don't know too much about Pex tools but I'd go to a plumbing supply house and ask them and get the material as well from them. I know from my line of work I hate going to big box stores for material because it' s hit or miss on parts. They'll carry one part but won't stock the accompanying part needed. You waste too much time plus they all have that dumb look when you ask them. Any electrical questions feel free to ask.
                issue I see is it getting brittle as it ages, and cracking the hot side before the cold.. as it cycles room temp to hot. every plastic does this, there is no getting away from it.. in a house where my stuffs in the basement, no way am I using it. well see what happens in a few years as the stuff is used widespread and ages..
                contractors love it because it's faster than copper install.
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; July 26, 2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Copper theft is rampant up here. Two of my uncle's vacant rentals got hit a few years ago. The basement in one house had 4ft of water in it from copper theft plus they stole all the wiring & even took the AC unit! So not only did he have to replace all the plumbing & wiring he had to deal with water damage & HVAC too! That cost A LOT of money! I'm pretty sure he used PEX &/or PVC, there's no way copper was going back in those homes.

Comment

We have a couple of rentals and our home. 2 are PVC and 1 is PEX...the PEX one BADLY NEEDS a anti-sweat valve on the toilet. I first though one of the kids took a shower without the curtain, the floor was THAT wet. Nope, just the toilet sweating. HAVE to do something about that, so I need a PEX tool for that one.

And the place that lost its plumbing needs everything. From the line coming in to each fixture, they took it all. So I either do it in PVC or PEX - I'm fairly good at PVC but am open to new things if they make sense. And I'll already have the PEX tool because of the other job.

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    Are you doing a whole house or just the toilet area?
                    Both.
                    For small job cpvc would work for me.......easy to work with.
                    Yeah, and my small job is PEX, big one can go either way.

As far as Pex.....have you considered using the Sharkbite fittings with the product?
                    I've heard of them. Something to consider? What's your opinion?

If you're doing a whole house........Pex has the manifold system which is pretty cool.
                    Every run is a home run and works from a central box.
                    What makes a Pex manifold so cool? Isn't a PVC main line kinda like a large manifold?
                    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    A hex on PEX!! As a former plumber I'm sort of old school and stick with rigid copper.
                    If it weren't for the cost, I'd go copper for sure. LOVE soldering copper line, I find it relaxing.
                    in fact a bonus is if the water freezes, the Pex expands and doesn't rupture.

That's what I've been told too. Makes sense, up to a point. And that point is surely lower than PVC or copper.

I don't know too much about Pex tools but I'd go to a plumbing supply house and ask them and get the material as well from them.
                    Good point. I know just the place too.

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                    Bingo. Quick install means more time at the bar. No offense to any sober contractors, I'm sure there are some out there.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                      issue I see is it getting brittle as it ages, and cracking the hot side before the cold.. as it cycles room temp to hot. every plastic does this, there is no getting away from it.. in a house where my stuffs in the basement, no way am I using it. well see what happens in a few years as the stuff is used widespread and ages..

It's all relative and only as good as the person doing the job. I work in a large inner city school system. Even though I'm hired as the district electrician, I'm the jack of all trades, the handyman. During the winter, believe me, I fix a lot of copper joints that fail, copper steam coils in classroom univents that just spring leaks from errosion. Everything fails with age. You have to do what you feel the most comfortable in the end.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

It's all relative and only as good as the person doing the job. I work in a large inner city school system. Even though I'm hired as the district electrician, I'm the jack of all trades, the handyman. During the winter, believe me, I fix a lot of copper joints that fail, copper steam coils in classroom univents that just spring leaks from errosion. Everything fails with age. You have to do what you feel the most comfortable in the end.
                        how olds the school stuff?
                        plastic 15-20 years..

Comment

So any other recommendations on the PEX tools?

Comment

One of the kids I help in derby is a plumber, he always has PEX scraps in his pickup.. Make good flag sticks. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              So any other recommendations on the PEX tools?
                              Can't recommend one over the other, but you know the old adage, you get what you pay for. Also look into the Sharkbite fittings that Thom spoke of http://www.sharkbite.com/ pretty much plug and play. As far as copper vs pex just walk through any construction project and see what is being used. Hardly any copper anymore.
                              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X