Magic bolt box vs. Why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic bolt box vs. Why ?

So I have this block that needs to go on a stand.

Magic bolt box solution: Head bolts would work for a 302 maybe? Yes, but of course the stand I have needs a bolt 1/2" or so longer.

versus

Why: Why the hell are the engine bolts that would work fine in another stand in another location that would be okay with the head bolts I think? I had to use lug nuts from the magic bolt box as spacers for that one IIRC.

I guess I should stop bitching and go to the store. Curse you Murphy!
    Last edited by Beagle; July 30, 2013, 03:39 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I have a magic cord drawer here in the office. Especially on those off times when I need a BNC to VGA connector, or an ethernet crossover or rollover cable.

Comment

I had one at work for 20 years... never know when the boss is gonna need something and I had it.

I cleaned a box out of the truck today, 4 pin old school power supply adapter to SATA was in that box. I got amused.
      Last edited by Beagle; July 30, 2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

never give up the stash!!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Went to put a 2.5L from the old S10 on the stand yesterday. 12mm bellhousing bolts. Luckily the holes went all the way through. had to take the dist. out to get one bolt in but ended up using starter bolts with nuts. Rarely ever throw bolts away.

Comment

I never rid anything either.
            I even gathered some cat engine doodads. million mile rust piles.

I have ea82 head bolts holding an engine crossmember in for a Subaru.

my two extra bolts are bigger than the factory four combined.

keeping a pile is good.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

guess you never gave the customer his bolts back

Comment

As a teenager I ordered up a box of assorted bolts/nuts from JC Whitney. My Mom was dumbfounded - "What kind of dunce did I give birth to". And that was one of my better purchases!

Dan

Comment

did it happen to have 3.5" x 7/16 coarse bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    As a teenager I ordered up a box of assorted bolts/nuts from JC Whitney. My Mom was dumbfounded - "What kind of dunce did I give birth to". And that was one of my better purchases!

Dan
                    I have been tempted.
                    All thread is something to have kicking around..the chrome looking stuff is cheap, hardened by weld if need be..
                    even home depot has the black version, a bit harder to begin with, 4 foot lengths.

the head bolt piles and stories, it is always good.
                    Even a trailer hitch install gone wrong has a head bolt story.

I found on the unibody I smash around, the length of head bolts goes through any given rail into whatever needs bolting..
                    I kept at least 36 of them from four engines.

5 bucks a piece, a genuine hardness number. They cannot play around with heads in manufacturing.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 31, 2013, 09:34 AM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      did it happen to have 3.5" x 7/16 coarse bolts?
                      I've had a couple of those for several years now and still do not know what the intent was when they were purchased. Don't want to throw them away for fear I may find a use for them.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                        I've had a couple of those for several years now and still do not know what the intent was when they were purchased. Don't want to throw them away for fear I may find a use for them.
                        You won't find them when you need them, but you will find them when you buy replacements...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          You won't find them when you need them, but you will find them when you buy replacements...
                          Nope, I'm more organized than that, mind like a bear trap; some things are harder to get out though.
                          Last edited by 68scott385; July 31, 2013, 10:36 AM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

One of the best things I got for my shop is a nut and bolt bin - it's a steel one like they used to have in some parts stores behind the counter, a row of bins for 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers in a number of different lenghts. The hard part is taking the time to gather all the misc hardware from here there and every where and put it into the appropriate bin.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I just sorted thru about 3 boxes of various bolts that I had collected over the years. I hurt my knee, so that was something I could do sitting at the bench. I found that I will never have to buy any more 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 nuts or washers EVER! Took me a week of nights to sort thru them and make my bolt bins from cheap plastic bins from HF.

BTW- you could always buy a piece of B7 threaded rod and cut long studs for use with your engine stand. I don't know if I would use the zinc plated stuff you find at the hardware store, but a piece of B7 is plenty strong. You can get it in a couple of days from McMaster Carr.
                              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Working...
                              X