Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had the absolute coolest thing happen yesterday (for my kid, not me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had the absolute coolest thing happen yesterday (for my kid, not me)

As I told you guy earlier this year, I had come down with a medical condition that nearly killed me. In addition to fighting to get better, I had to fight the lawyers with my OWN insurance company cause they didn't want to pay. Finally got that back on track and were struggling to pay for the college for my 12 year old who is classified as "profoundly gifted" since there are no regular scholarships or loans available for a kid that young to be in college. A foundation stepped up and paid for his fees and books this year which was a big relief, and then the oldest one got accepted into Baylor, which is THE place to go if you want to be a dentist. Tuition and room and board were 50k or so per year, and even with the scholarships, we were still looking at 16k a year we were going to have to borrow. That would have been fine, but the bank doesn't look at the money I receive from my attorney as income, so we were screwed. My son has been working for his girlfriend's family owned oil company this last year and a half, and the owner sits on the board of a chain of banks, so he asked him what things banks could look at or consider as far as my long term disability income to come up with the money. He told my son he was going to talk to his sister who was the co owner of the company and see if she had any thoughts that might work. My son got a call as he was heading into work to go see this gentleman's sister as soon as he got in. She told my son that he has impressed everyone in the company with his work ethic and smarts, and they weren't going to let money be a problem, and handed him a check for 16k to cover the difference in the first years tuition and scholarships, and told him to go to the bank her brother is on the board with and start a checking account and they were going to give him an allowance just like they are going to do for the owner's daughter. They said this is an advance for the next year, and you'll get another one each year you're in school. They told him even if the worst case scenario happened and him and his girlfriend broke up, they were going to continue to support him thru his college career. They told him not to talk about it cause they don't like the attention philanthropy brings, so I didn't use their names, but I feel like we've been so blessed over the last year that it's almost impossible to believe. After hearing all these good things that happen to people that makes me wish it would just happen to me once, well, it looks like it did. 10x more than I could have ever hoped for.
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Praise God... that's flat out awesome.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yep, all the glory to God. It's tongue in cheek to add Baylor to the mix.....but it fits!
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

That is a fantastic story and in the end the investment you made to raise a good kid came circling right back around to you. Awesome.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

sounds like a fairy tale just to read that.

that does not happen.
          I am glad it did.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

With your problems, come solutions.. Cool to read about!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              With your problems, come solutions.. Cool to read about!
              I'm right there with Super & Ed . Praise God.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

nice,, thank the lord
                sad how banks treat people..
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; August 2, 2013, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Nik, that is fantastic news and speaks volumes about how well you have done raising your kids.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That is absolutely fantastic - you've gotten through the valley and have been mightily blessed!

It warms my heart to see good things happen to good people!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Amazing stuff to say the least. Uplifitng too.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

OK Nik - I'm sitting here with wet eyes.

I'll steer away from the religious and just say I think it's wonderful for your son, your family, and your son's girlfriend's family. Having been in a position to give (though never at this level) I can tell you that the giver is fulfilled every bit as much as the receiver. I'll wager this young woman is a bit of all right too, coming from this kind of family.

Best of luck to all

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; August 2, 2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

what a blessing!!! good to hear he's getting such a wonderful oppertunity
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

thats awesome!
                            theres still a few people in this world with good hearts.

Comment

Right on Nik - Right on.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X