Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daily drivers getting old

interesting article, by NBC.

A study by the auto research firm Polk finds the average age for vehicles in America has climbed to an all-time high of 11.4 years. That's up from 11.2 years for the same Polk study last year.
    it started with a better dip for computers to be installed.. and the crystal oscillator does not allow old chem chains, that is the hammer that keeps on trucking, the cars are still a pile of crap.

I lived every transition, into computers with one car.. now 26.5 years, more than double their average.

the steel is going to be a sneaky kill, more than ever. wiggle those b-pillars once and awhile if you cannot get underneath.

Anyone notice how much a rocker panel cover really hides? quite a bit.. looks like a new 15 year old car you got there.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Our oldest is a 66 (buggy pan) newest is 99 XJ. Don't own anything past 1999. Don't want anything new. Will drive these vehicles into the hundreds of thousand before letting go.

Comment

My wife has a couple late models, but her average is still 21 years old. My stuff...hmmm....average age of the four is 56 years old. I'm abnormal.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Looking to discard my 1998 Neon and pick up an old Dart or Valiant with a slant six. My goal is to have nothing but carbureted vehicles in my driveway... all 4 of 'em!
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

We each have a late model, keep her in a newer suv type vehicle, and me in a truck, but everything else, 13 vehicles in all including motorcycles is 72 and older, except two other bikes, a 76 and a 78.

Comment

My daily is a 96. Runs like a swiss watch

Comment

my daily just requested it's monthly payment. Being 16, it's a little bit demanding. I bled 40.00 and some type "o" blood on it, put another vacuum pump and a new belt on it in the O'reilly's parking lot where it made it to with no power steering or brakes (5500 or so pound truck). Thankfully unloaded and not pulling a loaded car trailer with no brakes. At least it's easy to work on. haha.

Maybe we can get a presidential bail out - ObamaCarCare? Sorry - strike that if it is too political.
              Last edited by Beagle; August 7, 2013, 10:36 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

my fleet is 86/84/72 and one lone '04

to much computer crap in new vehicles,
                most have about 100 modules in them beside the main ecu..
                only way to have a new vehicle today is to have it for 4-6 years then bail on it..
                wonder how long those touch screens are going to last before they need replacement..

Comment

I cant stand to see a car get eaten by salt here in the NE. I wouldn't drive anything newer than a 80's G or B body car if I lived somewhere with a better climate.

Comment

i have a 92/97/05

i seem to be the odd one out hear lol
                    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

we have newer drivers - we won a 13 explorer, and we still have Rhonda's old faithful 02 accord - 225k and it just keeps going with minimal maintenance.
                      other than that there's the 01 truck / 69 pro jack stand entry/62 / 54 - but the 54 is for sale.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Newest.. 94 Buick.. Wife's. Same with 90 Suburban I'm driving..
                        Mine are 57 Sedan Delivery and 77 chevy flatbed
                        I'm not counting the jackstands.. Too many.. 79 crew cab low rider, toyota pu w/Buick v6 are the main ones..

Comment

the lebaron is pro flat tire
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I've got '93/'95/'97/'98. and the '95 may get for sale signs.

Comment

Our '03 Crown Vic is space age to us because it's the only car we own that wasn't built in the 1900's. And at 145,000 miles I figure it's only half used up. My wife's '92 Corolla just turned 212,000 and hums right along.
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X