So I bought a bike Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought a bike Friday

As I mentioned in the Question for guys who ride motorcycles post, I was looking for a '70s Jap bike to build a bobber. Checking Craigslist turned up quite a few candidates, but most were priced too high, even though some hadn't been ridden in years and needed work. Everytime I called on on one it was already sold. Friday morning I checked the Connecticut listings and found this '78 Suzuki 550 GS for $500. I left immediately to go look at it. The guy built it over the winter and was riding it to work everyday. I liked it so it came home with me and after putting a new battery in it, I rode it around a little. (dead end street) I will register it soon so I can really ride it.

What do you think?

Re: So I bought a bike Friday

Where's she gonna sit??? ;D
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I had a '77 GS550, rode the tar out of it for years. Sold it to get a '80GSX750.

I would have never guess that model could be made to look so good. Nice score, those are fun daily cruising bikes that run well.

;D
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I like it but ,I think I would put the rear shocks back on instead of those solid struts. I don't want my chest sinking any more than it already has! My mucles would be sore from the but up!

Comment

Looks like a nice bike. I've got a two cylinder and much newer GS500 myself. Cool to see a chopper interpretation of the GS's.

Comment

that tank sure looks big on there!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It doesn't seem too bad, a seat with some actual cushion would be nice. I will probably never ride it more than to work and back, (4miles)and around town.

Comment

Rear Shocks.... Cool is only good if it actually works...

the front set's that dont' "really" have the brake on them... should be fixed to be safe... how's the shifter side of it?

K

Comment

I would change the the mirrors. Something a little more old school. Not a shaped contemporary mirror. Otherwise bitchin.

Comment

I think it looks pretty cool!

I have questions though, and that's because I know nothing of motorcycles.

1.) I'm guessing that the "bobber" term comes from bobbing the rear fender or the frame?

2.) Has this bike been shortened (bobbed)? I like the look and I can't tell if the fender is fooling my eye, or the thing has been shortened.

Very minimalist...very neat.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                      It doesn't seem too bad, a seat with some actual cushion would be nice. I will probably never ride it more than to work and back, (4miles)and around town.
                      No actually U will be ridding it more than just back and forth to work if I have anything to say about it,or should I say try to keep up.
                      Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

I kinda dig it as well....Looks like a cool project...

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

i think you ROBBED the bike at that price, but I'd be sure to put bigger air filters on it, might pick up both power and mileage!! NICE BIKE!!!

Comment

you stole that dudes bike.........how do you sleep at night.....I dig it, very cool

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                              Rear Shocks.... Cool is only good if it actually works...

the front set's that dont' "really" have the brake on them... should be fixed to be safe... how's the shifter side of it?

K
                              Keith, yes it does need some work, but riding it Sunday the brakes seemed to work fine. I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb though. Shocks will go on the rear if I can find some that are short enough to work properly and not change the ride height.

Brian, the frame is stock, just the fender has been chopped, and the shocks removed. I plan to put different lights on it, probably a '32 Ford taillight for the brake and lic. plate light. The headlamps are two driving lamps right now. They look goofy. A more conventional 5" light will replace them.

The seat is actually half a skateboard with the original seat cover and foam over it. I don't think I stole it, 'cause it's definitely a low buck piece, but the price was fair. I paid him what he was asking for it in his ad.

Comment

Working...
                              X