Cordless or Electric Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless or Electric Drill

During the install of the bucket seats in the shoebox I was drilling lots of 1/4" steel.
    Over the years I've seemed to have nothing but cordless drills around.

Well I guess the batteries are getting old.....found my self re charging alot......real PITA.

Finally got my sons electric drill to finish things up.

I will be purchasing a 1/2" variable speed corded drill sometime soon.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

For years, I have used my corded Craftsman Professional Series 1/2" drill. It performs flawlessly...right out to the end of the extension cord. About a month ago, I broke down and bought a 1/2" 18v DeWalt cordless drill. I am now spoiled rotten and looking for reasons to use it. I think there is room in the toolbox for two drills.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
      For years, I have used my corded Craftsman Professional Series 1/2" drill. It performs flawlessly...right out to the end of the extension cord. About a month ago, I broke down and bought a 1/2" 18v DeWalt cordless drill. I am now spoiled rotten and looking for reasons to use it. I think there is room in the toolbox for two drills.

Ron
      I've got the DeWalt.....probably need to purchase some new batteries.
      Definitely room now for two drills.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My GF and I went shopping for replacement batteries for her DeWalt 18V drill... you can get a two-pack of batteries for damned near the same price as a single. The batteries did the trick and her drill now performs like a new one.
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

my older 18v stuff got melted but had the big battery NiMH option extended whatever XRP or something. When they would go flat, it was time for a break anyway. The new Li Ion stuff gives you about 2 seconds of warning before they stop dead and demand to be charged.

Yes to both... excepting the big corded drill needs to be a hammer drill.
          Last edited by Beagle; August 17, 2013, 05:49 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have both a cordless lithium ion drill and a 1/2" corded hammer drill. Hardly ever use them for the same things. Keep extra batteries and always have one on the charger. I have a cool old restored craftsman drill press but I hardly use it

Comment

If you keep an eye out for specials, you will find that you can get the entire drill kit on sale(drill, charger and 2 batteries) for less than the price of a two pack of XRP batteries... then you have a spare drill(albeit the cheap one) and another charger! we did that a couple of years ago...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

IDK how you can live with only 2 drills. I have 2 air powered drills, 1 angled the other straight, 2 corded drills, one is a Bosch hammer drill the other a DeWalt 1/2" variable reversible, and a cordless DeWalt 14v XRP that has lived through its second set of batteries but will be replaced entirely the next time due to wear and abuse. Then there is the Delta 8" drill press.

Do I make too many holes?

EDIT: Maybe I should shed some light on why I have so many drills. In my early days as a mechanic the air drills were for use in the garage mostly for gasket removal tasks. Later as a concrete form carpenter the hammer drill, other corded drill, and the cordless were tools used in the trade. The drill press was for my home garage. I guess it mainly depends on where and how the tool is to be used.
                Last edited by 68scott385; August 17, 2013, 07:55 AM.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

If I had to choose give me the 1/2 in corded selectable hammer drill. I get really ticked when the second battery dies before the first one gets charged. My days of building a barn are over, a cordless I can take it or leave it. I keep one around for emergencys.Now days they are usually someone's cast off when the get the lastest and greatest. ( yard sale or bro. - in - law )
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I have an old 12V drill that batteries are no longer available for. I took a 25ft extension cord cut both ends off and wired it to the drill
                    with aligator clips to attach to the car battery. Great for taking on the Power Tour etc.

Nick

Comment

Kids at the derby use Milwaukee, Makita and DeWalt..
                      Personally, I like the Milwaukees
                      With derbying.. Sawzall gets alot of use, usually between rounds.
                      My kid bought the thicker batteries..(1 1/2 in thick vs the 1/2 inch thick ones) the thinner ones seem to go dead PDQ
                      I've used the Makitas, like them.. Just thought the Milwaukees were better balanced..
                      We drill 10-20 holes per rear fender, hood and trunk with a single charge.. And have drilled thicker stuff with them.. Handle the chore just fine! Unlike my old 9.6v Makitas
                      BONUS: flashlights for night loading..

Comment

What I'm using it for has a lot to do with whether I go corded or cordless. I'm still using the 14.4v XRP until it dies - man does it get heavy after a while. Next cordless will be a brushless impact driver. Way lighter and the battery lasts much longer (my business partner has one at home).

For drilling through metal (repeatedly) or mixing drywall mud, the 120v is the way to go, imo. This is the one I have. I like that it has a bubble level built in.

Comment

I have B&D Weed Eater, hedge trimmer, Drills, Sawsall, circular saw that all operate on the 18V batteries, I think the batteries are around $40 each, right before Christmas last year the local Wal-Mart put their B&D 18V drills (with batteries & charger) on sale for $18.95 so I bought 6 of them, those should last me a couple of years hopefully!
                          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

air drill , but water in the lines kill them

Comment

I was spoiled by the cordless drills, always had DeWalt's. One day lots of holes later both batteries were dead and I switched over to my corded Milwaukee, man what a difference. I forgot how the corded drill worked and it was much easier to use it. One big difference I noticed was the speed at which the cordless drills for stop rotation. One time after starting to hang drywall with the cordless drill I switched to the corded drill and proceeded to drill the next three screws right through the drywall.

Comment

Working...
                              X