Lincoln Motor Company ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Motor Company ......

Ford justified killing Mercury because Mercury wasn't providing a sufficient chunk of market share in the US. Ford recently announced how much market share Lincoln has and it makes Mercury look good.

Justin Berkowitz at Car and Driver made the association, citing Ford's 2010 statement explaining why they were ending the Mercury Brand.

Mercury originally was created as a premium offering to Ford and was an important source of incremental sales. Of Ford Motor Company’s 16 percent market share in the U.S., Mercury accounts for 0.8 percentage points, a level that has been flat or declining for the past several years.

Berkowitz goes on to point out that Lincoln is doing worse than Merc by the exact same metric. Lincoln held just 0.57 percent of the US market in 2012 and it's on the decline, falling from 0.67 in 2011.

Lincoln had better hope that there's more sentimentality for the brand that gave us the legendary Continental than the one that gave us the greatest Kustom that ever was.

Nothing is sacred to Ford management. If it isn't turning a profit it will get axed.

Comment

I like the looks of that new mkz they came out with. Seen a few around already. Hopefully it will help turn things around. Maybe offer that thing with a standard shift

Comment

Lincoln will not go away, just like Cadillac will not.

Merc got the ax because they were essentially a rebranded Ford with an 'old person' stigma attached.
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

If the dumb asses that run that co. would make something like the Mk Vii or Viii again they would sell and what moron decided to completely lose the Limo/Livery car buisness to someone else probably foreign (Hyundai Equuis/Genesis). Then goes and advertises like it was triumphant that they killed the Town Car. You gotta be one dumb SOB to make that decision when every other car in Manhattan was a Town Car or Crown Vic.

Comment

Stupid asses ,there was a time when they were able to build this.I swear this kind of stuff pisses me off so much.
            Last edited by antmnte; August 19, 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

rebadged jap crap

Comment

the brand game is hacked, ethically faked...long time.
                of course its going down.

I'd rather a mercury zephyr of 1978, or a real lincoln zephyr even older...than a new sideways engine lincoln today.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                  Merc got the ax because they were essentially a rebranded Ford with an 'old person' stigma attached.
                  So, just like, uh, Lincoln?

Comment

Part of the Mercury problem was a duplication of advertising, training and dealer support for basically the same car. Can't say how much different the Lincoln is though.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ford announced that they were going to invest close to a billion on revitalizing Lincoln. I give it 3-5 years before being squashed, unless a miracle happens. Cadillac has an identity and some stuff people get excited about like the CTS-V. I like the looks of the MKZ, but just buy a Taurus SHO and save the extra money.

The most baffling thing to me has be the use of Abraham Lincoln imagery in their commercials. I have not GD idea what that is supposed to mean or represent...other than the brand is about have a bad evening at Ford's theater like honest Abe did so many years ago.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

there are only a couple of commercials that I understand on TV anyway. The M&M commercial with that hot lady is one of them. It hurts but I kinda like it.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

They're making beaucoup building trucks and 'stangs.... the rest doesn't matter much to the bottom line.
                          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                            They're making beaucoup building trucks and 'stangs.... the rest doesn't matter much to the bottom line.
                            I'm seeing a lot of new Escape's running around town here in truck country.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

THey should build a new coupe on the Mustang chassis, stretch it a little. Could be nice,but Nooooooooooooo! A neat retro Bronco would be cool too.
                              Last edited by antmnte; August 19, 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X