Ansen Sprint vs Us Indy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ansen Sprint vs Us Indy

I always see guys get all gushy whenever vintage Ansen Sprint five slots are mentioned, but the good old US Indy doesn't seem to feel the love.

I was going through my wheel pile for the tits setup for my 1974 Dodge D100 stepside muscle truck project and had a nice pair of 15x10 US Indys that I had polished already, and for the front I had a bunch of 5x8.5 US Indys to go with, but they are just a little too wide. The tire sticks out past the fender lline.

I decided the right wheel and tire for the front would be a 15x7 with a 255/60. I had four slots in this size in stock, a pair of Ansen Sprints, and a pair of US Indys. The Indys have slicks mounted and I'd rather not dismount those, so I'm going to use the Ansens.

I looked at them really closely and they were the exact same offset, and the face side looks identical. I actually like the construction of the Indys better.

Why are the Indys the Red Headed Stepchild of slots?
    -dulcich
    Last edited by dulcich; August 20, 2013, 09:24 PM.

I have been able to ignore the name thing....they're all aluminum slots to me. But I usually run 215/65 on the 7s up front, or maybe a 205/70 or something if it needs to be taller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	suburbanSalt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	871941
    Last edited by squirrel; August 20, 2013, 11:09 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

these are on my Camaro ...

15x4.5 US-Indy slots

15x10 Ansen Sprint slots

"if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
        Why are the Indys the Red Headed Stepchild of slots?
        -dulcich
        Ansen had the name...the history...and were the originator of the style as far as I know. Speed shop stuff. US Indys were copies you bought from Pep Boys.

But who cares, I just call 'em all slot mags. Indys did have the neater center cap.

Comment

Never cared about the name, I just like slots. They are staying on the 65 LeMans I am building, no better wheel for that car in the entire world. Might get a new set to replace the old 14" fronts and mismatched 15" rears, but it wont be this year.

Last edited by Thumpin455; August 21, 2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

I think due to being "first" all slots are put into the "Ansen" category. I had US Indys on my 76 Starsky & Hutch Torino liked them just fine. I would kick a kitten for a good set for the Fury. To me they are all the same. Maybe if youre a hard core HAMB-er the difference matters...but for me...pffft....same same.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I love them all, I just hate the unilug deal - if I was a better cast aluminum tig weldor I'd try to fix that. Since I got the 5 spoke hustlers with the single bolt pattern, I'm going with those for now. keeping an eye on the M2 Manual steering I went teeny with the fronts - 205/65-15
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My old Challenger had a nice look with the 15x10s in back and 15x7s up front. Still thinking about slots for my 68 Cougar...
                Attached Files
                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I just wish somebody would repop the 15x4 skinnies so I don't have to pay through the nose for an original set.

Comment

Found a nice set of Ansens in the junkyard next to an old Firebird. Someone even removed them to get at the brakes and rear diff. But, they were all 14's. Didn't think they would be worth a thing, so I left them.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yes, Scott, probably not worth the taking. I've got a bunch of 14's, with lots of wide ones that are takeoffs from many cars over lots of years. Don't know what to do with them.
                      -dulcich

Comment

I was looking at a set of new ones in 5 on 5 1/2 to fit my 89 D100

15x7 !
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrocketscience View Post
                          I just wish somebody would repop the 15x4 skinnies so I don't have to pay through the nose for an original set.

i got my 15x4 us-indy slots back in 2004 and i bought them off of craigslist for $250
                          "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

They're making US Indy Slots in 15x5, 15x7, 15x8, and 15x9.

I'm thinking about picking up a set for my '68 Mustang GT. I've got a bunch of vintage slots of various brands and sizes, but some are uni-lug, others have center cap screws frozen or broken off, and they'd all need to be refurbished. I think I'm just going to buy new and skip the hassle.

Comment

I would buy two way Spark-o-matic's so I got nuthin. No Jensen 6x9 Coax's for me, but I wouldn't quite getto out Kraco.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X