Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know a lot of you won't like this, but I might as well confess...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I know a lot of you won't like this, but I might as well confess...

My plan for gas economy is to stop driving the 350 / 3.23-6 gearedta and trade the formula for my old 86 elco with 305 tbi and 2,73 gears ! wish me luck . Keep having a bro. law trying to get me into a honda beater but it hasn't worked so far . Hey Matt you haven't cashed the check yet have you? Can you get free go backs like when we were all kids playing kick ball ? Hope the mileage is worth it man. REally though maybe it will allow you more cash for the mope .

Comment

I sold my Vette a couple of weeks ago... nice to have it ... better to have it gone...

Keith

Comment

So compromise.

Civette!
        Drifting a ls1 swapped Honda Civic at Memphis Motorsports Park. The civette is real! Looks like it would be fun to drive. If you would like to see more video...

Comment

Ehhhh.... whatever. I'm really rather appethetic about the whole thing. You have 1 cool car, sure you can have more but you always need atleast 1 even if its down for upgrades or repairs its still something to think about when you are doing the mpg dance on the road with other shapeless boxes. I compromized, my Lincoln is fairly cool and decently good on gas.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Abrasive
            So compromise.

Civette!
            Drifting a ls1 swapped Honda Civic at Memphis Motorsports Park. The civette is real! Looks like it would be fun to drive. If you would like to see more video...
            hehehe... I was actually thinking the other way around, Civic engine and tranny somehow turned properly and shoved into a Chevette. Boy was I wrong.

On an odd thought, could you make a Corvette an decent economy car? I think if you spent enough time on the freeway where its aerodynamics really stand out you could. Ofcourse my version would be 3800 powered, 205hp on 87 octane would actually probably be near the L98 output from a mid 80's Corvette and with a 60º V6 bellhousing I bet I could bolt it right too the T-56.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I used to own a 1993 Corvette that averaged around 27mpg if I kept the right foot light. Not too bad.

Comment

wife is the commuter in our family, she drives her little Prowler a lot more than her Dart, the little car gets about twice the mileage.

I drive the bitchin Camaro when I'm in economy mode (like tonight when I went into town for the car club meeting), it gets close to 20. Gotta love those straight sixes mixed with 2.73 gears

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

And I thought I was bad today thinking that I'll look for a '69 Firebird with the OHC 6 so I could EFI the six for my mpg car instead of looking for the 400 V8 one :-\ I had the old docile 400 up to an average 25mpg highway and 18mpg around town.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Sad thing is when he realizes that the Civic is going to get almost the same mileage as the Vette. :o

Because after driving a Vette, your going to have the pedal to the medal everywhere you go in the Civic, and that's not good for gas mileage.

Comment

You will be fine with your commuter Civic. Nobody here knows your life better then you. I'm not a fan of Honduh products, but it's not for me to decide.

Enjoy the commuter!

Comment

I worked for Honda for 5 years and met plenty of good hard working Americans that fed their families working for Honda, and drove Honda's to some pretty impressive odometer readings - many over 300k. It's getting really tough to say what's really American made anymore - most accords and civics built in Ohio have more American made content then some of the big three's cars.... thank Mr. Clinton and nafta for that.

I digress.

Enjoy the honda - it's an appliance - and it will be reliable and get great mileage if properly maintained -- DO NOT push the timing belt and water pump change which should be done at 90-100k range.... if you run it until it breaks - you might as well buy a replacement engine.

I changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys on my wifes' V6 accord at 110 miles (recomended mileage in the manual for the V6) it was not too bad of a job, but did require a couple special tools for the crank pulley, pretty much an all day job.

Enjoy the car - you should get 36mpg or thereabouts.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

paidfor 05 Civic daily driver here and I have zero regrets. Have had many other hondas, one 92 civic made it 300,000 miles still clean no rust etc. until some idiot smashed into it while it was parked on a sidestreet...
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            no cobalts , sunfires , centurys , auras , saabs , solstice , skys , g6 , grand am , malibu ,
                            available in your area ?
                            why lower yourself to a honda ?
                            I'd really like to have bought a Solstice or Sky, but my price range was way too low. With most of GM's front wheel drive cars, let's face it, they're even more appliancelike than a Civic. Seriously, what sort of car guy appeal is a Sunfire supposed to have?

Comment

Matt -
                              You'll be fine. My bitch with Hondas is that the seating position puts you on the floor - a problem at my height (can't see over the wheel). We just bought a new HHR for the bride, and so far it's been perfect - getting about 28.5 combined city and highway. Many choices. I think it's hugely important to make a distinction between your car and your daily driver appliance. Two different functions.

Carry On
                              Dan

Comment

We've had a few Civics. The best one was a '94 coupe with 1.5, and a 5 spd. It would get 36-38 mpg hwy. We have a 05 CRV now, it is terrible on gas I think. It's a stick, and the best I can get out of it is 28.
                                It's geared so low I asked the service dept. at the local dealer if anyone else complained about something similiar. At 70-75 mph, it's turning about 3600 rpm. I find myself reaching for another gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X