Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know a lot of you won't like this, but I might as well confess...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I know a lot of you won't like this, but I might as well confess...

My '72 Ventura with a 250 six and a Glide and 3.08s got 21 mpg bone stock. With a 200 overdrive and some tuneup I bet it had potential for 25-27 mpg. Hence my concept of the Commuter Rod.

These days, Chad and I are both driving B-bodies with 283s and Powerglides. We think his has 3.31s and mine has 3.08s. They both get 14 (which, to me, is "good mileage"). The Crew Cab also has a 283 and a Glide and I'm shooting for 25 mpg with it.

Comment

My '62 Suburban gets 18mpg with OD manual trans, 3.55 gears (in a rear end that was eating itself), an out-of-the-box Edelbrock carb and HEI, and small diameter rams horn manifolds. And a TON of aero fouls. I'm swapping in 3.42 gears this month, and I should also swap to 2.5-inch 'horns and dial in the carb. By August for the Bonneville road trip, I plan to have the front end rebuilt (there's a lot of misalignment drag there now), lower it a little, add a valance behind the front bumper with short chin spoiler to keep air from stacking up under the hood, and close off a lot of unused radiator opening. I see no reason I can't get at least 20mpg highway. At that point, it's pulling better economy than my 2001 Dakota.

I've also thought about going with a Q-jet carb with an adapter on top of the old Edelbrock C3B intake.

-Brad

Comment

Dan, I really like the term “Appliance”, that’s exactly what some cars are.
        My wife is currently driving a ‘95 Camry that fits that definition perfectly. Bought it for $2,500 and threw a bunch of parts at it for a few hundred more. It works well in the snow, is comfy, and gets 33 mpg last time we checked. This is the car we use as a family (4 of us) most often, if anything happens to it, no big deal.

My non-snow Daily driver is a Dodge SRT-4, fits all of us, I got 29 mpg on a road trip (There were even a couple 3-digit passes), and has been totally reliable. Took it to the drag strip and ran a 14.2 with the kid seats in the back. Part appliance, part fun… is this a fast appliance? Whatever it is I REALY enjoy the car.

Next new (or new-ish) car will be mostly my wife’s choice, we take turns. It will likely be a nicer ‘Appliance’ car. If we had to get something today it would very likely be a civic hybrid. Now if Chevy makes a new plug-in hybrid available we may look at that too. All things “equal”, I will buy American.

Then there’s that Durango with the towing package and 390 gears that sits in the driveway collecting dust….. Invaluable during Wisconsin winters, but Ouch! at the pump.

Comment

If you are buying a car for a DD/commuter it better get more than 25-27 mpg... Otherwise, why bother?

I think it should be a little comfy with a/c and some tunes...

Most importantly, the whole buy american thing has been hinted at in this post (what a shock)... Honda, Nissan, Toyota have all been building cars here in the USA for a long time... While the crappy three have been building cars outside the USA for a long time now...

The focus should be on what you want and how you want to build it...

Comment

If you are buying a car for a DD/commuter it better get more than 25-27 mpg... Otherwise, why bother?
            I think it should be a little comfy with a/c and some tunes...
            I agree, but would say over 30 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
              Dan, I really like the term “Appliance”, that’s exactly what some cars are.
              I use the term "transportation module". I guess it means the same thing....and it's kind of depressing for a carjunkie to be stuck in one, but sometimes reality rears it's ugly head.

I also make sure to figure depreciation into the formula. Wife commuted in her Dart for years, it has well over 300k miles on it, with a few rebuilds along the way. And it's worth a lot more now than when she got it! can't say that about any hondacars that I know of.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel

I also make sure to figure depreciation into the formula. Wife commuted in her Dart for years, it has well over 300k miles on it, with a few rebuilds along the way. And it's worth a lot more now than when she got it! can't say that about any hondacars that I know of.

Good point!!
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Here in the 'Rust Belt' EVERYTHING depreciates to a big fat Zero eventually, I would rather that be an appliance.

Comment

yeah, that would make a difference.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                    X