The craziest thing you've ever driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The craziest thing you've ever driven

I found some old pictures of a $100 junkyard killer twin turbo car, the things i did when I was younger :0
    It was a 3.8 buick motor I put twin 2.2L chrysler turbos on...yea, I'm kinda ashamed, and kinda proud at the same time. I eventually redid the ride and put a 3.8 S/C engine and AOD tranny on it + added wings and a sheet metal body, and didn't look that bad....I needed pics of it when done but I guess they are lost or whatever. It was so scary that by the time the tranny hit drive you could hold it straight, wicked fast, wicked scary and just plain wicked! Now that I'm older with better resources I want to build it again, with a full tube chassis..so what's the wildest/stupidest thing you've ever driven???

Re: The craziest thing you've ever driven

Not quite as crazy.....but my first car was a 68' mustang coupe with a cleveland headed SBF.....Made about 500-550 HP....

With manual steering and 4 wheel drum manual brakes....The rear brakes weren't strong enough to stop the power....when I stopped at a light I would push the pedal to the floor and the car would be stopped with the rear tires still spinning, squealing, and smoking...

I still miss that car.... ;)

Seth

200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Split tie:

A) a '76 Fury Sport that had the tie-rods cranked all the way up, mud tires off a Ramcharger, covered in no less than 20 different colors of spray-paint, simply referred to as the "War Car"..it looked like something off of Mad Max. We jumped it, rolled it, you name it..

B) a '79 Fiesta with the roof cut from the rear of the doors back, and the hatch trimmed to make the little bastard El Camino. Ended up giving it to a friend, he still had it in 2005.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

The 70 chevelle that I bought from 50 miles away that seriously didnt have any bushings left in the A arms and only had about 50% breaking ability tops. It was a deathtrap, but hey, we got a cheap motor and tranny out of it, and sold the car off to somebody that wanted to restore it, I cant stop chuckling when I think of the line they said to my brother in law, "this is better than the car we were restoring", true story.

Comment

I definitely would have to say it would be this crazy contraption. LOL!

Comment

Comment

Hehe... I had a '70 Riv that you could feel spin the tires at idle on a parking lot that was not thoroughly deiced when I was stationed in Colorado.... that was fun. Also had an '82 Camaro with a broken ignition advance and that actually wrapped the torque arm around the drive shaft while I was driving it... Talk about scarey stopping as that rear end bobbed around and the arm hit the floor.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

62 Tempest 4 banger that lost to a 29 Model A in a drag reace in the 1/8 mile.

Comment

probably the high mileage car that was our senior design project in engineering school. Scary....even though it didn't go very fast, it was pretty dangerous, not much in the way of brakes, steering, or seating. I went off the track atthe competition, and the "seat" broke and my butt was dragging on the ground. But before then when we were testing it at the U of Arizona stadium I crashed into an immovable object, and manged it pretty well. I guess that's why I was wearing a helmet.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It would have to a T bucket that belonged to a friend. He asked me to drive from his old house to his new that included a stint on I-80. That car looked great, sounded great with the 6-71 blown sbc; but boy howdy was there something seriously wrong with the way it drove. It had the giant rock hard Mickey's in back and what appeared to be tires off some kid's ten speed on the front. There also something seriously wrong with the front suspension because it would not track straight at all and bumps, OMG!! I was terrified the whole front clip would come off. Something up there was either loose, broken, or just plain missing off that front end. It didn't help that it had the old style vertical steering column and municipal bus style steering wheel.

Half way there, I pulled off the freeway and made him drive it the rest of the way while I drove his 64 Malibu SS.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Paul Chism's twin turbo'd Jag.... No question hands down.. the craziest car I've ever been associated with.... So much HP that it would wad itself up in a ball and try and pass itself...

Seriously you drove that car through the lights sideways with the tires smoking at 200mph... incredible ride... but WAY to much Drama....

Keith ( thing had GREAT parachutes to it's credit's ... always a JOY to pull )

Comment

'78 Dodge Colt w/ 1.8 power, 4 spd and an old Marvin Miller N2O kit. It went thru 3rd members n trannys like crazy, but motor never gave up. I'm guessing it was around a hundred shot.
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

That would be my dragster. 600 hp cackling in your face, sitting with your butt up against the rear end housing, trying to see around the scoop and carbs, ready to blast down the track in less than 9 seconds. It's pretty insane.

Comment

Craziest thing I've driven?

My Wife.
                            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Silver68RT
                              That would be my dragster. 600 hp cackling in your face, sitting with your butt up against the rear end housing, trying to see around the scoop and carbs, ready to blast down the track in less than 9 seconds. It's pretty insane.

My neighbor has a slingshot like yours. Cool little cars.

Craziest thing Ive ever driven was a customers turbo Supra. Had 18k in receipts and dyno slips showing 780hp at the rear wheels. 6speed and it would pull as hard in 5th as it did in 2nd. (1st gear was useless) Yea I know its an import but it was a wilder ride than #2 which was a 65 chevelle with an alky injected bbc. THAT car was fun, the supra was scary.

Chris 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X