Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The craziest thing you've ever driven

Originally posted by squirrel
    probably the high mileage car that was our senior design project in engineering school. Scary....even though it didn't go very fast, it was pretty dangerous, not much in the way of brakes, steering, or seating. I went off the track atthe competition, and the "seat" broke and my butt was dragging on the ground. But before then when we were testing it at the U of Arizona stadium I crashed into an immovable object, and manged it pretty well. I guess that's why I was wearing a helmet.
    I drove one of those - SAE Supermileage competition at Kalamazoo in 1992. I was the only guy on the team who fit in the car - I wish I had a picture I could post. Ours was pretty fast, didn't have much in the way of brakes, but it was low and stable and super strong, a carbon fiber and kevlar monocoque design. It would have been cool to take it to Bonneville or something - I wonder if they have a class for 2 HP Briggs & Stratton streamliners.

Comment

A bored, piped and jetted CR500 on funny fuel. I was officially the first guy to attempt the superman, even though I was not aware that I was setting a new trend in motocross, I still was not able to pull it off.

Comment

When I was growing up in Neberaska,we would hunt coyotes out of a 65 Chevy impala.nothing but the seats,steering wheel and motor. Made it real easy to put a shotgun on that critter while traveling 40 or 50 across the pasture.Game warden didn't like it much,but he could never catch us.
        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

My buddy had a hundred acres of wood and field we had this 80 Toyota pickup that was so rotted that the frame stopped at the rear shackles no crossmember in rear .pass door didn't open ,window broken ,drivers door didn't latch. we had a bungee from pass door to the drivers door to keep it shut. doors rotted half way up we'd drive it down back road up in the woods to see how far it would go. When we retired the Yoda still ran like a top with only 51000 on the ticker
          Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Pro Stock Bike. On the street. Not for me!

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
              When I was growing up in Neberaska,we would hunt coyotes out of a 65 Chevy impala.nothing but the seats,steering wheel and motor. Made it real easy to put a shotgun on that critter while traveling 40 or 50 across the pasture.Game warden didn't like it much,but he could never catch us.
              Neberaska........and 40-50 across pasture now that scary! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mystie
                Originally posted by CaminoKid
                Neberaska........and 40-50 across pasture now that scary! ;D
                My high school buddy would be in the bed of his brother's P/U with a bow chasing deer in November. Watching him try to stay in it when his brother hit the terraces was entertaining.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The first dirt bike I ever rode was the one I bought for $400. An '82 SUZUKI RM 250, aftermarket reeds and pipe, and the clutch was basically an "ON-OFF" switch. I hurt myself frequently, but it was fun! ;D
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

This is my pap-pap's (thats grandfather for those that dont know) Drove it once...so cool

Comment

Use to work at Detroit Metro Airport Have driven everthing from belt loaders to tugs. And the two that due it are the push out tug for the 747 and the 15,000 gallon Jet A truck. Also had to drive a right hand drive vehicle for work.

P.S. the little push out tug for the G5 aircraft had a Hemi in it.

Comment

Probably the craziest thing was a road-legal tractor that a friend built while we were in HS. It had a flathead and Jeep axles, trans, and transfer case. We laid out the frame on their garage floor with chalk and went from there. Kurt was not intellectually gifted but could build ANYTHING with his hands. The State of Michigan licensed it (not sure how he got that past 'em) and we drove it around quite a bit. It was pretty quick, though not all that fast. In 2WD, it could wheelie on command, and it LOVED snow - with or without a plow. I never had a pic of it. I drove it a couple of times, but it was difficult as he was around 6'2" and I'm - not. The same guys also built the English racer with the Reo lawnmower engine - discussed elsewhere. That was nuts, too.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X