No announcement yet.

Gas tanks and brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup think those even had 16 gallons but not sure only had 1 first gen w-body the 95 cutlass
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Burned off paint and interiors.....brake lines and gas tanks last forever if the car is used continuously.
      We have 2 GMT900 series trucks that will prove otherwise... 12 years seems to be the magic number on the brake lines...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

you should see the carnage of liquid calcium

Comment

yeah...some farmers that live on the gravel roads spread a mixture of liquid calcium and oil on the roads in front of their farms to attempt to keep the dust down... don't be the unlucky soul that drives through on the day they spread it... instant corrosion of any metal...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            We have 2 GMT900 series trucks that will prove otherwise... 12 years seems to be the magic number on the brake lines...
            I believe Squirrel's response was regional.

Your experience is closer to mine though.
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I installed SS brake lines on my wife's 69 Mustang. I would have done the same for the fuel line except they were BO'd.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I freakin hate brake lines. I just bought one of these http://www.cal-vantools.com/p-186-au...-tool-kit.aspx
                works really good, I was actually successful making flairs.The one I have makes standard flairs as well.
                Last edited by antmnte; August 25, 2013, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Pre Made Kits are My Preference For Cheap Customers - they never go for it
                  300 bucks from GM

Info found in gm messenger.
                  To all my coastal and up north friends.
                  Date: 6/28/2013 Ref. number: Parts / Product / G_0000169484
                  Subject: Brake Pipe Kits Available For Sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers and Medium Duty Service Centers

DESCRIPTION:

Effective immediately, General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales is releasing (66) part numbers that will service the brake pipe lines for 1999-2007 Trucks, Escalades, Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Avalanches. These kits can be used any time the replacement of the entire brake pipe assembly is required. All kits are pre-formed and pre-flared to aid installation.

The brake pipe kits have a nylon coating that provides better corrosion protection; and they are a lower-cost alternative to pipe replacement. Please note that these kits are not intended for the repair of a single damaged brake pipe. These are intended for the replacement of the entire brake pipe assembly due to corrosion or wear.

The attached service bulletin details exactly the procedures for installing these kits.

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Immediately

ORDER INPUT:

Parts can be ordered through normal channels and require no special handling.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

but you don't live in Arizona, do you? that's what I was talking about...sorry for the confusion.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thumpn455 describes maine closely.
                      there is tricks with electrical..
                      where we mostly play with older cars here, the switch with a hard off stops all decay no matter what the salt is doing.

rust is not bad steel, rust is bad electric.

I have it narrowed down to clock memory and a dash clock.. car get sleft alone, the ground is in the tunnel for those things.

(stuff that never shuts off). Also found after targeting those simple things, don't need fancy brake or gas lines...
                      a real simple tip for those that run theold stuff, make a ground lower than the fuel system.(that should be gas line or tank bottom, just eyeball it)..and some think mud flaps prevented salt from splashing..
                      no, they dropped electric back to earth.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 26, 2013, 08:54 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                        Pre Made Kits are My Preference For Cheap Customers - they never go for it
                        300 bucks from GM

Info found in gm messenger.
                        To all my coastal and up north friends.
                        Date: 6/28/2013 Ref. number: Parts / Product / G_0000169484
                        Subject: Brake Pipe Kits Available For Sale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers and Medium Duty Service Centers

DESCRIPTION:

Effective immediately, General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales is releasing (66) part numbers that will service the brake pipe lines for 1999-2007 Trucks, Escalades, Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Avalanches. These kits can be used any time the replacement of the entire brake pipe assembly is required. All kits are pre-formed and pre-flared to aid installation.

The brake pipe kits have a nylon coating that provides better corrosion protection; and they are a lower-cost alternative to pipe replacement. Please note that these kits are not intended for the repair of a single damaged brake pipe. These are intended for the replacement of the entire brake pipe assembly due to corrosion or wear.

The attached service bulletin details exactly the procedures for installing these kits.

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Immediately

ORDER INPUT:

Parts can be ordered through normal channels and require no special handling.
                        this is good to know for me
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

My friend just bought them for his 01 Chevy Duramax. 80,000 miles and pops a line with race car and trailer hooked up. Thankfully 5 minutes from home.
                          Last edited by antmnte; August 26, 2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X