Gas tanks and brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tanks and brake lines

That is what goes bad around here. I am constantly helping friends and neighbors with these two items. I am now freakishly expert at double flaring and running brake lines, people are always amazed at how fast I do it now. Just did a gas tank on a 95 Monte for the postmaster this morning. Fixing the rusty shit and cleaning things took longer than swapping the tank in there.

That being said, I am too damn nice.

didn't the monte have a plastic tank ?

Comment

Gas tank straps and brake lines around here.

Comment

Burned off paint and interiors.....brake lines and gas tanks last forever if the car is used continuously.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Oh, and rear end covers. Yes the cover rusted out on my sonoma and my nephews silverado. It has 90w on the inside, how does it do that?

Comment

I hate rust! Every bolt is stuck, every line twists off, structural components are weakend compromising saftey. I had a 87 ford with a rust hole in the OIL PAN! How does that happen? Rust is a waste of time. I live in the heart of the "rust belt", but I now refuse to participate. Everything I get is either from down south or too new to need work or have rust.
            Last edited by Hemi Joel; August 24, 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

next time someone comes to you with a rusty tank issue, hand them a bar of irish spring soap, charge them 50 bucks and send them on their way ... LOL

for those of you unfamiliar with the bar of soap trick, around the effected area, you push the bar of soap away from you at an angle and the jagged metal, if thats the case, will shave off and fill the hole
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

an old wife tell you that ?
                lol

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  an old wife tell you that ?
                  lol
                  Dad used Dial soap...

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    Burned off paint and interiors.....brake lines and gas tanks last forever if the car is used continuously.
                    the cars here flip that. the bottoms look like fire and lightning the more they run...tanks included.

maine iron, coast granite who knows..
                    I swapped the last antique old steelie in a Subaru...it did make it to 25.

there is some smart tanks. I have a 20 year old that looks like aluminum, and isn't. A Subaru part.. old injected loyale. Forever..no end in sight.

we ARE the damn northern lights.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                      I am now freakishly expert at double flaring and running brake lines.
                      What tool do you use for the double flare? I have had no luck with the stuff I have.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                        What tool do you use for the double flare? I have had no luck with the stuff I have.
                        I have a Blue Point double flare set from a Snap On truck. Works pretty good and didnt cost me an arm and a leg. Have owned it for more than 20 years.

The tanks are steel, this one was rusting around the lip joint, the soap deal wont work for long when there isnt enough metal left to hold the soap in. Maybe if I jammed the bar on the lip....

The salt in winter is epic here, your car turns white from it no matter what color it was before. Everything rusts, in five years a new vehicle will have holes in it if you arent washing it after every drive. That is why I have $500 beaters instead of something nice in winter.

Comment

have that too
                          I like the mastercool hydraulic we have as a gm special tool , a lot better

Comment

only after 2001 all w-bodies went from metal to plastic and gained a 1 gallon capacity form 17 to 18
                            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

my 91 had metal tank

Comment

Working...
                              X