So I got a call from my brother, on his way to Burning Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got a call from my brother, on his way to Burning Man

....in his 58 chevy wagon. The "GEN" light came on a few times. The car still has a generator, but it also has modern add on AC. He was half way to Phoenix (from Tucson). I suggested he just put an alternator on it. I gave him some recommendations for parts available from the OReilley's that's a couple blocks from my son's house in Chandler. They got the parts, did the modifications, and he's back on the road.

This old boat is getting so modern....it even has disk brakes now. He sent me an "after" pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	880614
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

I'm surprised... with the size of the roof, I'm surprised you didn't suggest solar panels (especially given his destination)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

he uses solar panels to charge the batteries for the bike stereo (it's a big one), as well as the pumps for the shower and water heater. He doesn't have nearly enough capacity to run the electrics on the car with the AC going.
      My fabulous web page

Comment

Looks good, got any pictures of the wagon?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

He posted this one last night, pretty late...probably from Kingman.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	872011
          My fabulous web page

Comment

any metal bands ?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              ....in his 58 chevy wagon. The "GEN" light came on a few times. The car still has a generator, but it also has modern add on AC. He was half way to Phoenix (from Tucson). I suggested he just put an alternator on it. I gave him some recommendations for parts available from the OReilley's that's a couple blocks from my son's house in Chandler. They got the parts, did the modifications, and he's back on the road.

This old boat is getting so modern....it even has disk brakes now. He sent me an "after" pic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24181[/ATTACH]
              Please fix the wiring for him when you get a chance... hope the belt doesn't go and leave him along the road somewhere...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

that is a big roof.

I am liking the modern changes.
                I was just talking of solar panels fro a lobster boat, 120v invertor.. so much has changed, looking like the shell of something old.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  He posted this one last night, pretty late...probably from Kingman.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24191[/ATTACH]
                  I must be one of the weird ones; I've always liked the '58s a little more than the previous three years, not that I'd kick any of them out of my driveway.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

X frame ? ahh NO

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      X frame ? ahh NO
                      The only thing I didn't like about 'em......
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I spent the first six years of my life crawling over the seats of a '58 Chev wagon. I survived...

Mom and Dad mortgaged their house to buy that new but they were bitter about signing away what they'd worked so hard for and would never buy that way or even on payments, again. When they had the money saved to get the next new car cash, they ordered (you did that in those days) a '67, Chev wagon again.

Somewhere pics of the '58 survive. My second plastic car model (and the first one I finished) was the AMT '58 Impala 2-door which you could of-course build drag-custom- or stock. Drag meant no hubcaps, rear slicks, and front bumper delete which of-course was the obvious choice.

So anyway, I still have an affection for '58 Chevys, although I learned more about cars with the '59 beater Dad bought used later which is part of why we have one now.

Comment

I have that model somewhere...my older brother built it around 1973.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                          X